Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by misa

  1. UGH! Glad you are okay! Keep that sliding door locked even when you're at home. I know it sucks living that way... locked up and everything but I just have flashbacks to a pretty bad serial case that happened in Toronto years ago.

  2. I think I will be calling USCIS directly and asking about this issue. The USCIS website was of no assistance at all.

    Don't bothering calling USCIS, call the Department of State. USCIS only processes the initial petitions and their 1-800 number is useless. Anyway it is the consulates (falls under Department of State) that actually issues the visas.


    ETA: The 2008 H1-B cap was already filled: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/0404...ap-reached.html

  3. Yeah, it's really only a hassle for K1s who don't have an EAD since a lot of SSA workers don't know their own policies. Hopefully they verify your information in SAVE soon! :)

    And congrats on your interview date! Since it's after Christmas, make sure to take LOTS of holiday pics together with her family and get people to mail cards to you in both your names. :D

  4. I-94 is the departure number.

    Non-Immigrant Visa number is the number in red on your K1.

    A number is the number on your I-129F approval notice OR your visa (some consulates don't put it on the visa).

    Hang in there!

  5. I'm about to be me thinks.. it's just a matter of when.. long story..

    I did tell them to stop sending cards.. cause i had a job.. but i didn't tell them to close my claim.. :P

    I will give 'em a call see awhat's up.. Hubby says that i'm elligible for UI here in the State of CT cause my employer has been paying in.. i hope that's true!! :)

    SUCKY on your claim... i wouldn't close it.. who knows but you could have a week or somethign where you need it? Speaking from my experience here.. :P

    It's possible that they closed the claim when you told them to stop sending cards. I think check into what you get through the State of CT first and take that over EI (since they tax you so much on out of country payments).

    Yeah, maybe I"ll just wait to see what their "decision" is. I really think they're just going to close it.

    Hopefully you'll get this all sorted out soon! *hugs*

  6. Argh! You didn't get laid off did you? Have you still been sending in your cards or did they stop that when you got a job? I guess it depends on whether they actually closed your claim or not. A call to the office is in order I think. *hugs*

    On my note, I think they are closing my claim because I think I make too much with self-employment (which I declare to them on each set of cards). After I sent in my last set of cards my online message changed to that they have new information and that they are going to make a decision. Bear in mind that I have not received any money from them as I've been self-employed since I got my EAD. I wonder if I should just call/write them to close my claim or wait for the denial.

  7. I wouldn't check it... it could get damaged. Take it as carry-on. I've taken a laptop, digital video camera and digital cameras before as carry-on without a problem. However, I already owned these items. You may want to declare the items as a gift when you go through through Canadian customs and immigration in Toronto because it doesn't matter if you take it as carry-on or luggage -- if you get pulled into secondary inspection, they'll search all of that.

  8. That's a residency issue (not linked to citizenship as PRs get provincial healthcare). She's unable to receive provincial healthcare if she is not resident in that province. However, if/when she comes back to live in Canada, she's eligible for that.

  9. Here's some info on maintaining residency. Pay particular attention to the last paragraph. It's an older article but I think most (if not all) of the info is still correct.


    Also from USCIS: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

    Maintaining Permanent Residence

    Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

    You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

    * Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

    * Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

    * Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

    * Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

    * Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

    FWIW, I plan on going back but after I get citizenship. That way I never have to deal with USCIS again.

  • Create New...