Steila

Ds 5525 crba

8 posts in this topic

You don't need to fill out that form - it is used if the other parent is missing or cannot be reached for some reason.  Your fiance needs to submit a notarized, written consent to obtain the passport - which I've always found strange for a child that isn't located in the U.S.

"Use this form only if the notarized, written consent of a parent or legal guardian with custody of the minor applicant under 16 cannot be obtained."

However, since you aren't married yet, it would be beneficial for your fiance to be at the appointment in person.  You aren't just applying for a passport, you are also submitting for your child's U.S. citizenship (CRBA).  The standard is higher for children born out of wedlock, up to the inclusion of DNA testing.  You're going to need proof you are in a relationship and that he was present at the time you conceived.  He will also need to provide evidence he resided in the U.S. for a specific amount of time.

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

3/10/2013 - Married

05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

44 minutes ago, jayjayj said:

You don't need to fill out that form - it is used if the other parent is missing or cannot be reached for some reason.  Your fiance needs to submit a notarized, written consent to obtain the passport - which I've always found strange for a child that isn't located in the U.S.

"Use this form only if the notarized, written consent of a parent or legal guardian with custody of the minor applicant under 16 cannot be obtained."

However, since you aren't married yet, it would be beneficial for your fiance to be at the appointment in person.  You aren't just applying for a passport, you are also submitting for your child's U.S. citizenship (CRBA).  The standard is higher for children born out of wedlock, up to the inclusion of DNA testing.  You're going to need proof you are in a relationship and that he was present at the time you conceived.  He will also need to provide evidence he resided in the U.S. for a specific amount of time.

Thank you for that matter i am also confusing about the checklist. My fiance really cannot attend the interview my due date is dec 14 he will be here with me dec 11-30. Can he already start notarizing (this month of november) his  birth cert, passport, SSN, Transcipt of records and other documents that needs to be notarize before the baby is born (december), 

also proof of of identity and prrof of citezenship ( us passport birth cert) is it the same with physical presence in US ( us passport birth cert) are they in separated notarize because in the checklist they are in separate category.? Is it allowed that my evidences are the same with the other? Thanks

40 minutes ago, Steila said:

Thank you for that matter i am also confusing about the checklist. My fiance really cannot attend the interview my due date is dec 14 he will be here with me dec 11-30. Can he already start notarizing (this month of november) his  birth cert, passport, SSN, Transcipt of records and other documents that needs to be notarize before the baby is born (december), 

also proof of of identity and prrof of citezenship ( us passport birth cert) is it the same with physical presence in US ( us passport birth cert) are they in separated notarize because in the checklist they are in separate category.? Is it allowed that my evidences are the same with the other? Thanks

What country are you in?

3/10/2013 - Married

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

7 minutes ago, Steila said:

Philippines

Here is the link for information specific to the U.S. Embassy in Manila - 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/birth/first-time-report-birth-abroad/

Here is the checklist for applying for the CRBA in Manila -

https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/2017/01/CITIZENSHIP-CRBA-Checklist-2017-January.pdf

Your fiance's U.S. passport alone proves his U.S. citizenship.

Your fiance will need to provide his school transcripts or one of the other items mentioned below to prove that he was physically present in the U.S. for 5 years, at some point prior to the birth of the child - these do not need to be notarized, but it won't hurt.  The more documents the better for this requirement.

" Evidence of physical presence in the United States/residence The U.S. citizen parent must bring proof of sufficient physical presence or residence in the United States before the child’s birth in order to transmit citizenship. Please consult our website for the specific requirements (http://manila.usembassy.gov/ service/citizenship/derivative-claim-to-citizenship.html). Documents that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. include transcripts from Primary, High School and/or University, Income Tax Returns and W2s, old passports, a Military Statement of Service or DD-214 Separation Statement (military members only). You can submit other documents as evidence. Please bring the original documents and a photocopy of each."

The two sections below are going to be important for you.  I went through this process with my oldest son before his mother and I were married.  We ended up having to do the DNA testing to prove a blood relationship, but it could have been due to her annulment not being finished yet at the time.  My friend who was in the same situation, but his fiance was not previously married, wasn't required to do the DNA testing.  It is very important that you have as much evidence as possible, especially since your fiance won't be there with you.  

" Evidence of the couple’s physical presence in the same location at the time of conception. Please provide a notarized copy of the U.S. citizen’s passport (all pages) in lieu of the original. (Note: Documents should be notarized by a U.S. commissioned notary or U.S. consular officer). Flight records and/or entry and exit records from a country may also be helpful."

" Evidence of the couple’s relationship prior to the conception of the applicant.  The burden of proving a claim to U.S. citizenship, including a blood relationship, is on the person making such claim. Photos prior to the time of conception, letters, and other correspondence may help establish the couple’s relationship prior to the conception of the applicant. Bring original documents and photocopy of each.  Genetic testing is a useful tool for verifying a stated biological relationship when no other form of credible evidence is available. For more information, read about the DNA testing procedures on the Embassy’s website https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/citizenship-services/. NOTE: Do not initiate DNA testing unless it was recommended by the Embassy for your pending CRBA application. A DNA test done independently and not according to Department of State procedures will not be accepted."

3/10/2013 - Married

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.