themadpoet1

How long does it take to get K-1 Visa issued in the Dominican Republic?

23 posts in this topic

Hello all...

Well I just returned from Santo Domingo and our interview from yesterday. WOW.... it was a crazy day... started with 6 am in line at the Embassy, it was a mad house and no organization. Once we passed the first step, security stopped me with contents in my purse. I left my cell phone etc at the hotel, however had lotion and my headphones in my purse. They made me throw away both items. Sooooo for those in the future taking less in is better. Once through all the security the dreadful wait began. We sat down until our number was called. This was a short wait, until fingerprinting. WOW... that took forever and then you wait again. Once our turn was called, a couple of hours later we were greeted by a very intimidating older white lady. She would ask us questions in English and Spanish, however was not patient with us. We were both extremely nervous, hungry and COLD. Yes the embassy was FREEZING!!!! Anyway... she did her very best to get us to stumble, however we stood our ground. My finance doesn't speak but a few words in English and I understand the Spanish better then I speak it. Anyway, she stated she wanted further review. As we wait nervously for another 2 hours until we were called to a small room separately to be asked very personal questions. Mine were, do you use birth control? Do the two of you use protection during sexual encounters? wow... Who does he live with? Do you ever stay at his home? He was asked the same questions as well as do I bring him gifts? His family gifts? What are our wedding plans? Do I have a dress? etc etc. ok wellll that part is done. We go back and sit in the waiting area, hours pass and now there are only a few people out of hundreds that entered with us left in the waiting area. Finally, at 3 pm we are called back to window 19 with the same lady, who at least had a smile on her face. She was quite intimidating the first go around, however was pleasant and stated our visa was APPROVED!!!! So elated and relieved. This has been quite the adventure with many ups/downs and emotions. I am happy to say we are just waiting to have his visa in hand and we can continue this life adventure that we have chosen.

Not sure if there is any other advice I can offer other than eat before you go. There is no snacks nor do they allow people to bring them. No lotion, cell phones, earphones or unnecessary items should be taken with you. If your spouse doesn't not speak your language or vice versa they really frown upon this. Lastly, expect to be there ALL day, hopefully you will be in and out like others, but from experience it takes a physical and emotional toll on us sitting there all day long. 9 hours and 2 interviews later!!!

Hope my view and experience lends some help...

Hello all...

Well I just returned from Santo Domingo and our interview from yesterday. WOW.... it was a crazy day... started with 6 am in line at the Embassy, it was a mad house and no organization. Once we passed the first step, security stopped me with contents in my purse. I left my cell phone etc at the hotel, however had lotion and my headphones in my purse. They made me throw away both items. Sooooo for those in the future taking less in is better. Once through all the security the dreadful wait began. We sat down until our number was called. This was a short wait, until fingerprinting. WOW... that took forever and then you wait again. Once our turn was called, a couple of hours later we were greeted by a very intimidating older white lady. She would ask us questions in English and Spanish, however was not patient with us. We were both extremely nervous, hungry and COLD. Yes the embassy was FREEZING!!!! Anyway... she did her very best to get us to stumble, however we stood our ground. My finance doesn't speak but a few words in English and I understand the Spanish better then I speak it. Anyway, she stated she wanted further review. As we wait nervously for another 2 hours until we were called to a small room separately to be asked very personal questions. Mine were, do you use birth control? Do the two of you use protection during sexual encounters? wow... Who does he live with? Do you ever stay at his home? He was asked the same questions as well as do I bring him gifts? His family gifts? What are our wedding plans? Do I have a dress? etc etc. ok wellll that part is done. We go back and sit in the waiting area, hours pass and now there are only a few people out of hundreds that entered with us left in the waiting area. Finally, at 3 pm we are called back to window 19 with the same lady, who at least had a smile on her face. She was quite intimidating the first go around, however was pleasant and stated our visa was APPROVED!!!! So elated and relieved. This has been quite the adventure with many ups/downs and emotions. I am happy to say we are just waiting to have his visa in hand and we can continue this life adventure that we have chosen.

Not sure if there is any other advice I can offer other than eat before you go. There is no snacks nor do they allow people to bring them. No lotion, cell phones, earphones or unnecessary items should be taken with you. If your spouse doesn't not speak your language or vice versa they really frown upon this. Lastly, expect to be there ALL day, hopefully you will be in and out like others, but from experience it takes a physical and emotional toll on us sitting there all day long. 9 hours and 2 interviews later!!!

Congratulations in your approval.

We've been listed as ISSUED for 8 business days with no call from Domex. I called Wednesday and was immediately hung up on when I asked (in Spanish) if there was an English-speaking employee with whom I could speak. Should I keep calling them? I need to return to work to get my classroom ready VERY soon. Making arrangements to get Lorenzo here now is crucial.

...not happy...

• 4 weeks later...

What is AP?

Ap= administrative processing.

That mean that you are in a black hole and you dont know what can happen.

En mi caso yo fui a mi entrevista en marzo, la entrwvista fue buena y la consul dijo : felicidades visa aprobada vsya a pagar domex, domex es el servicio de correo que lleva el pasaporte a la casa. Eso fue marzo 18, y lse quedaron con mi pasaporte y pusieron el caso en ap, luego de 5 meses me devuelven el pasaporte en agosto 27, sin visa y con una carta que solo dice su caso esta en ap, tenga paciencia no sabemos cuando finalizara.

Thanks so much for this. This is really helpful. We are in pretty much the same boat -- his English is limited and my Spanish comprehension is better than speaking but when they speak fast, I am often lost (or only getting half). I have been worried about how this will go when we have a our interview. We have known each other for 6 years so I hope it will be easy to tell how in love we really are but.....the questions are SOOO crazy.

Anyway, I really appreciate the little details and wanted to say thanks! :)

Hello all...

3-26-14 Mailed I-129F via USPS signature confirmation
3-29-14 Signature confirmation (4am on a Saturday! ;))
4-3-14 Text message from USCIS saying that case was received (NOA1) and transferred to Texas Service Center
4-3-14 Check Cashed
4-3-14 Alien Registration Number changed
4-7-14 Official Paper NOA1 received in the mail
8-11-14 Notice of Transfer to CSC
9-17-14 NOA2 received by e-mail and text message
10-09-14 NVC received
10-10-14 Case # assigned
10-15-14 NVC says "In Transit"

10-16-14 NCV says "Ready"
10-17-14 DHL says package delivered

10-18-14 Received Paper NVC notice (with fiance's first name spelled wrong)

11-9-14 Received appt letter

11-19-14 Received E-mail with interview date for 1-7-15

1-7-15 Interview - Approved but medical exam was not at consulate due to holidays
3-11-2015 Finally received visa.
8-8-15 Traveled to the US together. Arrived in Boston with no problems.

awwww you are do welcome KETED!!!! it was definitely a very interesting experience... please just make sure you know little details like how, when and where you plan to marry. Things that we didn't really discuss in detail as we were leaving the planning until he got here. Make sure you are both on the same page about everything!! Please let me know if you need any other advise or have any other questions. He needs to be able to write your name as it appears on your ID, know where you live, what you do for a living... etc etc.. it was a nerve wrecking experience, but well worth it in the end!!! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.