jguy

DCF while in Australia?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

My wife and I are currently living in Australia on working holiday visas and are looking to submit the I-130 form. After research, we have discovered that no USCIS office exists in Australia, so we are searching for ways to get around this. We have come up with 2 potential options, but would ask for some advice regarding these.

1) We read that the USCIS Bangkok field office in Thailand handles visa petitions for people from Australia. Does this office offer DCF for people residing in Australia?

2) I am originally from the UK, and my wife has dual citizenship for the UK and the US. Before travelling to Australia, my wife worked in the UK for 18 months. Would it be possible to use the USCIS London office for DCF despite not currently being based in the UK? We realise the need for an interview and medical prior to the visa being granted, but would it be possible to complete these at a US embassy here in Australia, given that we won't be leaving Australia for another 6 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Very kind regards

Hi there,

Someone might know better, but I think you are out of luck for any of the scenarios you listed regarding DCF filing. I petitioned my Kiwi husband, and we both reside abroad in a third country. What you do need to know is that, as a citizen abroad, your petition would most likely be auto-expedited. My I-130 was approved in 2 weeks. However, you will still go through the NVC at the usual rate. All told, it took us a little under 4 months from filing to visa in hand.

There is a thread about filing from abroad here. I suggest you read through it - make sure you use your Oz address on the I-130!

Good Luck!

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.