2 posts in this topic

I thought things would get simpler once we got thru getting K1 visa.. but I guess it doesn't end just yet! We're trying to fill out all the AOS forms correctly and would appreciate any help on several points:

I, the foreign wife :), used to live and work in the US some years back but then went back to my home country. Little did I know I would meet an American there and come back, so anyhow, I already have a SS number from before and when I worked, I had an H1B visa.

Given that fact, what would I put on my I-765 application when it asks wheteher I'm applying for renewal or a new EAD card? I would think it is not a renewal since I left the country some years back and my H1B has nothing to do with this application.. but not sure there...

Also what should I put under question "Current immigration status" Am I still a K1 fiancee, or is it something else now since we are married and I will be mailing I-765 along with my I-485?

Another question - we decided that I will keep my last name for the time being. Is that going to be a problem for the AOS process? We already have a joint checking account and I would think that our marriage certificate would be enough of a proof for a drivers license or anything else?

Thanks in advance, not being corny but it would be so hard to do all of this without VJ!

Filed: Timeline
I thought things would get simpler once we got thru getting K1 visa.. but I guess it doesn't end just yet! We're trying to fill out all the AOS forms correctly and would appreciate any help on several points:

I, the foreign wife :), used to live and work in the US some years back but then went back to my home country. Little did I know I would meet an American there and come back, so anyhow, I already have a SS number from before and when I worked, I had an H1B visa.

Given that fact, what would I put on my I-765 application when it asks wheteher I'm applying for renewal or a new EAD card? I would think it is not a renewal since I left the country some years back and my H1B has nothing to do with this application.. but not sure there...

Also what should I put under question "Current immigration status" Am I still a K1 fiancee, or is it something else now since we are married and I will be mailing I-765 along with my I-485?

Another question - we decided that I will keep my last name for the time being. Is that going to be a problem for the AOS process? We already have a joint checking account and I would think that our marriage certificate would be enough of a proof for a drivers license or anything else?

Thanks in advance, not being corny but it would be so hard to do all of this without VJ!

1. You are applying for a new EAD...

2. Current immigration status = Adjustment pending

3. you can use what ever name you want.... if you want to use your maiden name then that the name you file with.... if you want to use your married name then put that one...

4. Most states will only issue ID/Drivers licence in the name used by USCIS... because that is the name they will verify you under.... so if your EAD is in your maiden name then it is likely that your Drivers licence will be in your maiden name too...

Hope this helps

Kezzie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.