hindocha

Eshtablishing Credit in USA

17 posts in this topic

another point it makes no sense to be applying all over and not getting approved, too many inquiries on you credit is not a good thing(people get turned down for too many inquiries) and they take about 2 years to fall off, better to go for something you are sure about, secured cards you put whatever you want towards your credit limit

don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but even thought citi and discover are better cards to get they are harder to get, i dont think the OP, with limited or no credit will get approved for these, not all secured cards report as secured, a store card is a good idea but if that fails i do recommend a secured card, capital one is ok to start out,all you need is 6 months of good payment history and u can upgrade to a better card.

that's the reason for progessively moving up, because a person must have credit establlished before they (citi/discover) will extend credit to a person. That's why they are considered GOOD cards... if a person has those, other companies KNOW they have good credit and then the offers start flowing in. Again, as I stated previously, ignore those. Dont accept ones which are offered freely, you WANT the good ones with a good name behind them, ones you keep forever, always pay in full, and on time.

as far as starting new credit when none is there (OP), that's the reason for store credit first. they will extend to most people, though the line of credit will be very small ($250 to start is common). as soon as they freely offer to bump up the limit you know your credit is established. call them to bump it up if you've paid in full every month for awhile (i.e. "i want to make a purchase that is over the limit of my card" usually works well). look to double your limit. pay in full every month then leave that card alone, never cancel it (bad for your credit report - length of time means a lot on report, that's why you want a store card where you shop, so you have that card but also whatever 'offers' they give to card holders). you don't need to bump up limit any further, too much credit extended is not a good thing when trying to get the big boys to give you a card; now you can focus on major CCs.

re: your other post, i dont think anyone has suggested to the OP to go running around applying = HUGE red flag and then no company will extend credit because it looks like the person is desperate for money, even if there are no other indicators.

Credit, GOOD CREDIT, is not something you can build overnight, it takes time. But if you do the correct things, by showing them YOU are as selctive as they are, in 1yr you will be amazed if you stya on top of it... 2yrs you should be set.

i know of what i speak, having established credit for many people. once you have good credit established NEVER do anything to mess it up, it can be a lifeline when the world is falling down around you. BTDT.

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.