onyx

When to schedule Infopass? How about name change?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there, I have two more questions related to I-751:

1. When are you supposed to schedule infopass to have a 1-year extension stamp on your passport? Is it after receiving the NOA? Do you schedule the appointment with the district office or the regional office, in my case, California processing center?

2. I did not change my last name to my husband's two years ago. Now I want to change my last name. Do i just put my "new name" on FOrm I-751, page 1 & put "used name" on page 2? All our "evidence" documents are under my maiden name for these years, so i don't know whether it will complicate things...To be safe, shall I wait till applying for citizenship and then change my name? Please advise.

I love this forum. Everyone is great in lending a helping hand.

You will receive a NOA telling you to go and get the stamp after your I-751 has been approved... you will get a letter extending your CPR for 12 months soon after you have filed the I-751... this is good for travel and work...

I would fill in the I-751 in the name you want to use and include a letter telling them that you want your 10 year greencard in your married name...

Good Luck

Kezzie

2. I did not change my last name to my husband's two years ago. Now I want to change my last name. Do i just put my "new name" on FOrm I-751, page 1 & put "used name" on page 2? All our "evidence" documents are under my maiden name for these years, so i don't know whether it will complicate things...To be safe, shall I wait till applying for citizenship and then change my name? Please advise.

Make sure your state will allow you to do so. There are three main ways to change your name (as a general rule): by marriage, by court order, or by naturalization. However, some states only let you change your name by marriage within a certain time limit after the marriage occurs (and if you don't, you have to do so by court order, or by naturalization if applicable). So if your state allows it, you can start changing your name now (including putting the new married name on your I-751) but you need to check first to make sure your state doesn't have a time limit to do so. As an added bonus, if your state allows this, you should be able to get at least some evidence in your married name (like driver licenses for both of you showing the same address, which shouldn't take more than a few hours).

If your state doesn't allow you to do so this long after your marriage, you must file the I-751 in your current name and change it by court order or naturalization (if you can't do it now, I'd wait for naturalization if I were you, but that's just my opinion).

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

sparkofcreation, thank you for the insightful info. where can i find "statute of limitatoin" by states to change name due to marriage?

i might as well wait fo naturalizatoin - since it's only 1 yr down the road afte I751. it would be a hazzle to change all credit cards, SSN, mortgage... twice between I751 & N400!

sparkofcreation, thank you for the insightful info. where can i find "statute of limitatoin" by states to change name due to marriage?

i might as well wait fo naturalizatoin - since it's only 1 yr down the road afte I751. it would be a hazzle to change all credit cards, SSN, mortgage... twice between I751 & N400!

1. Usually the Civil Division of your local state court (District Court, Superior Court, Supreme Court if you're in NY, Court of Common Pleas if you're in PA...).

2. Why twice? Whenever you change your name, you'll only do it once.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.