FutureAmerican

Getting a temporary work permit for the UK

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Having reviewed our options my fiancee&I are now seriously considering having our wedding in the UK to save on costs etc, and to allow me to be able to work shortly after entering the US on a spousal visa, rather than waiting months after a marriage in the US for an EAD etc. The big question we have is, if she gets a visitor for marriage (non immigrant) visa for the UK, will she be able to do any kind of work whilst she is here? I know that if she came on one of the "Blue cards" as I believe they're nicknamed, she could at least work for 6 months or so whilst we wait for my visa to come through after marriage.

We're partly considering this because the full time job I have lined up after finishing Uni in June pays better than the one she works in the US at the moment, so economically it would be better if I could carry on working and she leaves her job to come here, than the other way round.

We'd be looking at a July wedding in the UK as opposed to a late November one in the US if we went through with this....the long term objective is for us both to be living in the US, with authorisation to work, by early 2007! :D

If anyone can help out with this it would be much appreciated....I put this in the "Off Topic" forum as I wasn't sure where else it would fit!

Married to my USC Spouse in the UK 08/17/2006

Entered the US with my CR1 on 09/25/2007

Mailed I-751 application on 07/14/2009 to CSC

I-751 package arrived at CSC on 07/16/2009

Check cashed on 07/20/2009

NOA1 Dated 07/16/2009

Biometrics Appointment 08/21/2009

Touched 08/24/2009

APPROVED 09/14/2009

Card Production Ordered 09/22/2009

Card arrived in the mail 09/28/2009

US Citizen as of 10/20/2010!

*IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING IN SECURITY/LAW ENFORCEMENT/MILITARY IN THE USA, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR INFO*

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The big question we have is, if she gets a visitor for marriage (non immigrant) visa for the UK, will she be able to do any kind of work whilst she is here? I know that if she came on one of the "Blue cards" as I believe they're nicknamed, she could at least work for 6 months or so whilst we wait for my visa to come through after marriage.

It sounds like a good plan to me but it seems you need to do some reading about the different UK visas she will qualify for. There are a couple of USinUK expat groups that probably have some clues if you don't find your answers on the IND's website.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!