Arthess

Need help about CRBA in Manila and such...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello VJ friends!

I was reading through this forum hoping to get info about bringing my son here. I, however, think my case is complicated than others. I was wondering if anyone can share their knowledge in my situation. :cry:So here it goes....

I was born a US citizen by CRBA because my dad was in the US Navy the time I was born. He was stationed in Subic and there, I was born. We moved back here in the US 1986-1991. Middle of 1991, my dad retired from the Navy and decided to move back to the PI. To make the story short, we moved back, stayed the rest of my life there. I got pregnant and married in 2001. I moved back here to the US in 2007 till present.

Now, my question is...

1.I still meet the physical req of 5 years right? 1986-1991 and 2 of which was after my 14Th bday. I was 25 when I returned here in 2007

2. I got married in the PI in 2001. My husband left the following year to UAE. As soon as he left, he never contacted my son and myself. He also did not help me with son financially. I called his last employer and they said he doesn't work there anymore. So me and son have no contact with the father for several years now. What do I need to do since to apply for the CRBA, I need my husbands signature and ID cards? I have no idea where to contact him. All I know is he is in the UAE.

3.Since Im here and can not take leave from work for more than a week {yes! I know it sucks) , I was considering my dad take my son to the embassy. Where can I get the Special Power of Attorney? and in the SPA, do i need to include my husband and have him sign it? (But I can't find him!)

4. If by any chance the CRBA get denied, Whats the easiest way to bring my son here?

I miss him terribly. He is 13 now and keeps asking me when we are ever going to be together again :( He lives with my parents in the PI and its so hard Ive been apart from him for so long.... I know this was a way too long story of my life but I would really appreciate if someone had advice for me. Thank you all for your time and God Bless!

Filed: Timeline

Your son was born in wedlock, right? (because different rules would apply if he wasn't)

1. If you were 25 in 2007, then you were 14 around 1996. Where is your 2 years after turning 14 and before the child's birth? Also, note that time abroad as the dependent of someone in the armed forces also counts as physical presence, so you can count from birth until 1991; it's the 2 years after turning 14 that I'm not sure about.

2. The CRBA doesn't require him. If you want to get a US passport, then that would require permission from both parehts, unless you get sole custody (which is reasonable in your situation since the dad is basically out of the loop).

Filed: Other Timeline

Your son was born in wedlock, right? (because different rules would apply if he wasn't)

1. If you were 25 in 2007, then you were 14 around 1996. Where is your 2 years after turning 14 and before the child's birth? Also, note that time abroad as the dependent of someone in the armed forces also counts as physical presence, so you can count from birth until 1991; it's the 2 years after turning 14 that I'm not sure about.

2. The CRBA doesn't require him. If you want to get a US passport, then that would require permission from both parehts, unless you get sole custody (which is reasonable in your situation since the dad is basically out of the loop).

Thank you for your time and quick response!

1.I was assuming the 2 years after turning 14 was 2007 since I came back here at the age of 25? Isn't that after my 14th birthday? Im really not sure about that this part either. :no:

2. In the CRBA Checklist it stated : I needed 2 identical passport photo of the father and original passport/ identification document for non-US citizen parent. How am I going to be able to get these if I can not find him?

Edited by Arthess

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your time and quick response!

1.I was assuming the 2 years after turning 14 was 2007 since I came back here at the age of 25? Isn't that after my 14th birthday? Im really not sure about that this part either. :no:

2. In the CRBA Checklist it stated : I needed 2 identical passport photo of the father and original passport/ identification document for non-US citizen parent. How am I going to be able to get these if I can not find him?

But the years have to be before his birth for it to count for his citizenship at birth. He was born in 2001/2002, so 2007 doesn't count. If he was born in wedlock, then it looks like from what you described that he was not born a US citizen, and you need to petition him to immigrate with I-130 and he will go through Consular Processing. (On the other hand, if he were born out of wedlock, then he would be born a US citizen, because in that case it only needs you to have been present in the US for one continuous year before his birth.)

Edited by newacct

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.