heytoot

Need Help!

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys! So I'm done with my medical and all, I just want to know if I still need to pay the $15 in banco popular? I dont know if they will ask for that during the interview.

event.png

event.png

Yes. You have to pay it. And be sure to check the receipt before you leave the bank.

This does not constitute legal advice.

You know what, as a matter of fact you may not have to. Do the instructions say that you have to pay it? Because I was checking on the embassy website and it doesn't say it there anymore. The last time I checked was back in January when my cousin's husband had the interview and he had to pay it, I think it was like $16 or $18.

You know what, as a matter of fact you may not have to. Do the instructions say that you have to pay it? Because I was checking on the embassy website and it doesn't say it there anymore. The last time I checked was back in January when my cousin's husband had the interview and he had to pay it, I think it was like $16 or $18.

I mentioned this in another post yesterday, the instructions say to pay Banco Popular only $160, but confirm with the US Consulate, because when I went to the bank they gave me two receipts (I never understood what the other fee was for, even when they tried to explain me) and the day of the interview, I was asked for "both" receipts. But I know people who went to the interview like 10 days later after me they didn't pay the 16 fee, nor were asked about it. Confusing...

Sorry OP, just email/call and confirm with the US consulate. Good luck.

Edited by abby12

10/08/2014 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

11/18/2014 - Bio. Appointment

11/25/2014 - AOS Update (Ready for Interview)

12/30/2014 - EAD Approved (Card in production)

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

01/06/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

01/07/2015 - EAD/AP Card Received

01/14/2015 - AOS Update (Interview scheduled)

02/18/2015 - AOS Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2015 - AOS Updated (Card is being produced)

02/19/2015 - Welcome Notice Mailed

02/24/2015 - Welcome Notice Received

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

02/27/2015 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

12/27/2016 - ROC filed (California Service Center)

12/28/2016 - NOA

01/08/2017 - Bio. Appointment Notice received

01/25/2017 - Bio. Appointment done.

12/12/2017 - I-551 Stamp on passport

06/12/2017 - "Approval Notice" DHS website (notice mailed)

06/12/2018 - Card in production

06/16/2018 - Approval Notice/Notice of Action received in the mail.

06/19/2018 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

That's because the $160 fee is for the nonimmigrant visa like the K1. The OP is doing CR1 visa and that fee is paid at the NVC.

The $16 fee was for the verification that you received the packet or something like that or verification of record I think they called it, but it looks like they're no longer charging it.

It's possible they're only charging it now for K1's. This is really confusing lol

I mentioned this in another post yesterday, the instructions say to pay Banco Popular only $160, but confirm with the US Consulate, because when I went to the bank they gave me two receipts (I never understood what the other fee was for, even when they tried to explain me) and the day of the interview, I was asked for "both" receipts. But I know people who went to the interview like 10 days later after me they didn't pay the 16 fee, nor were asked about it. Confusing...

Hey guys!!! Thank you so much for answering. My interview will happen soon, I was confused about this payment, I received an email from the embassy here in DR and it says to pay the $15 but it did not specify if its for the CR-1 or the K-1. I think it was just an automatic email for everyone who is about to have an interview. A friend of mine already told me that they did not pay it, but i just want to confirm it. If ever I have to pay it, what do I have to check on the receipt?

Are you all done with your interviews?? :)

Yes. You have to pay it. And be sure to check the receipt before you leave the bank.

you do not need to go to the banco popular to pay anything or the CR1 I had a few friends that their husband didnt need it. There is no fee

That's because the $160 fee is for the nonimmigrant visa like the K1. The OP is doing CR1 visa and that fee is paid at the NVC.

The $16 fee was for the verification that you received the packet or something like that or verification of record I think they called it, but it looks like they're no longer charging it.

It's possible they're only charging it now for K1's. This is really confusing lol

event.png

event.png

I think the $160 is a standard fee for everyone, because even for the B1/B2 the applicant has to pay the same fee, according to the US Embassy/Consulate's website.....(the last time I renewed my B1/B2 visa I only paid $100 and I am sure about this number lol...and that was months or a year BEFORE Domex, so I had to go back to the Consulate to pick up my passport.. ) Then the day of the interview the applicants pay the fee according to the type of visa, I paid $80 for the K1 visa, now is $105.

Verification? $15 for verification? you know, I was told in one of the explanations I got, that the $15 was actually the fee of my visa, when I asked what was the $160 fee is for, its when everything went poop for the bank's employees that day lol they couldn't explain me, and it is even worse that the receipt they give does not tell much either, the only way to set one apart of the other is that one says $160 and the other $15. Now the OP just said that the US Embassy said in an email to yes pay the fee...hmmm...for me, its the Banco Popular's own fee for the services. hah!

Hey guys!!! Thank you so much for answering. My interview will happen soon, I was confused about this payment, I received an email from the embassy here in DR and it says to pay the $15 but it did not specify if its for the CR-1 or the K-1. I think it was just an automatic email for everyone who is about to have an interview. A friend of mine already told me that they did not pay it, but i just want to confirm it. If ever I have to pay it, what do I have to check on the receipt?

Are you all done with your interviews?? :)

I read somewhere how to send an email to the US Embassy/Consulate, I had to write first my name and my fiancé name as applicant/petitioner and the type of visa, and the case number, if you at least did write down the case number, they should know what type of fee you should pay or not according to your visa. Did you make clear in the email you sent what type of visa and/or case number? .I actually thought you were a K1....if the embassy said yes pay the $15, I will pay the $15 even if the bank say noo.. but that's jut me :P

And yes, I am done with my interview, it was in jun 23/14, the new US Embassy/Consulate was 7 days old LOL so my experience was not that great but the interview was good. I arrived in the US last August 1/14 and going to marry in 2 weeks :)

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

12/28/2016 - NOA

Thats Awesome abby12! Congratulation ahead! :) Well, I just sent my email and asking them what is that $15 fee? Waiting for there answer, I told them i am applying for a spousal visa. The email that I received from the US embassy here was like a preparation for your interview, it did not specify the visa type nor my case number, so i assumed it was something that automatically get sent out when your already included in the cita list. There is another fee? 160? what is that for? I thought we are already done with the crazy payments. I thought the only payment left is the one for the green card which is $165 and the $11 for the domex.

I think the $160 is a standard fee for everyone, because even for the B1/B2 the applicant has to pay the same fee, according to the US Embassy/Consulate's website.....(the last time I renewed my B1/B2 visa I only paid $100 and I am sure about this number lol...and that was months or a year BEFORE Domex, so I had to go back to the Consulate to pick up my passport.. ) Then the day of the interview the applicants pay the fee according to the type of visa, I paid $80 for the K1 visa, now is $105.

Verification? $15 for verification? you know, I was told in one of the explanations I got, that the $15 was actually the fee of my visa, when I asked what was the $160 fee is for, its when everything went poop for the bank's employees that day lol they couldn't explain me, and it is even worse that the receipt they give does not tell much either, the only way to set one apart of the other is that one says $160 and the other $15. Now the OP just said that the US Embassy said in an email to yes pay the fee...hmmm...for me, its the Banco Popular's own fee for the services. hah!

I read somewhere how to send an email to the US Embassy/Consulate, I had to write first my name and my fiancé name as applicant/petitioner and the type of visa, and the case number, if you at least did write down the case number, they should know what type of fee you should pay or not according to your visa. Did you make clear in the email you sent what type of visa and/or case number? .I actually thought you were a K1....if the embassy said yes pay the $15, I will pay the $15 even if the bank say noo.. but that's jut me :P

And yes, I am done with my interview, it was in jun 23/14, the new US Embassy/Consulate was 7 days old LOL so my experience was not that great but the interview was good. I arrived in the US last August 1/14 and going to marry in 2 weeks :)

event.png

event.png

Well you are applying for IR-1/CR-1 visa, so I don't know if it needs a fee or not. I thought you were applying for the K1 visa, but it was pointed out later that you were not. But it is a good thing that the US Embassy/Consulate replied to you with that info regardless. I am sure about the K1, $160+$15 Banco Popular, plus $80 at the consulate the day of the interview, now is $105. Maybe the process for your type of visa is different than those for K1, then your instructions should be different then. If you paid for the green card already, then you will get in the mail a couple of weeks after you arrive. That's great!

10/16/2014 - NOAs:

12/30/2014 - AP Approved

02/24/2015 - Card mailed

12/28/2016 - NOA

Thank you abby12! I'm pretty anxious with my remaining steps. I hope everything will go smoothly now, it has been one tough ride from uscis to nvc.

Well you are applying for IR-1/CR-1 visa, so I don't know if it needs a fee or not. I thought you were applying for the K1 visa, but it was pointed out later that you were not. But it is a good thing that the US Embassy/Consulate replied to you with that info regardless. I am sure about the K1, $160+$15 Banco Popular, plus $80 at the consulate the day of the interview, now is $105. Maybe the process for your type of visa is different than those for K1, then your instructions should be different then. If you paid for the green card already, then you will get in the mail a couple of weeks after you arrive. That's great!

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.