Stepp

When do I need to move to USA after Green card approval?(merged)

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello,
I went to USA in February to get my I-551 (green card) processed. Once there, I stayed until February 20th and then left USA and returned to my homeland. When is the latest that I need to move to USA? I understand that I have to leave within 180 days, but
1) I have not been able to find a job in USA yet and have no finances to tide me over in USA.
2) Dept of Homeland Security sent my my Green card, but they made a mistake with my gender and have not sent me a new corrected card.

I would like to move to USA around November 2016. Also, how do I get them to correct the gender and send it back to me? I tried but they keep telling me to wait. I've already waited since March. It is now June!
Thank you

Timeline

Hello again,

my Green card has a mistake. It says I am female, but I am male. I informed Dept of Homeland Security vis their website 3 months ago, but they did not address the error. I contacted them again, but they said I need to wait until the first request is processed. Now I received that the issue has been resolved?! It has not been resolved. No corrections were made. It is urgent, I need to leave for USA soon. What should I do?

Thank you

Filed: Timeline

How did you get your Green Card? Was it spousal, or lottery ? As far as I know you can't leave the States for longer then 6 months or maybe year tops, otherwise you will lose it. Since they expect you to live inside of the

US after you get your GC. I think you should try to settle there asap so you don't run the risk of loosing it in general. As for gender mistake should keep contacting those people who told you to wait. Just keep trying to reach them and find out what's going on.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Please make sure to return within 180 days. My mother just came back couple days ago after over staying 180 days but they stopped her at the airport and she had to wait 4 hours to see the officer who revoked her greencard but gave entry subject to Immigration Courts decision and now we have to hire an attorney and prepare a case so she can get her greencard back.

These days all the immigration laws are enforced so make sure to return within 180 days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

the green card is not for staying abroad.. you can do that when you become a citizen.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I recently got my green card in the mail and with it came a "welcome to the US" letter, which included a statement that said that if I was planning on being outside the US for longer than a year, I needed to apply for a reentry permit before leaving the US. Might be a difference between a conditional and permanent resident though, as I've seen people on VJ talk about six months.

What do you mean that you went to the US to get your green card but you understand that you had to leave after 180 days??? You haven't filled out your timeline so how did you get your green card; spouse, fiance, adjustment of status, diversity lottery??? If you went to the US to activate your green card, then that made you either a conditional or permanent resident, either way, you're allowed to stay in the US once you activate your green card.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

If you are a lottery winner, the officers at the border do understand that we have to settle things at home after activating (selling property, cars, settling affairs etc). We were out of the country for seven (nearly eight) months after our initial activation and had no issues coming back in. Our officer just said 'Welcome home guys' and that was it. That we had one way tickets into the US probably helped. We also had an apartment lease, bank accounts, and mobile phone account to prove that we had not abandoned our GCs, although this was not asked for (it made me feel better to have it with me, just in case).

November 2016 should be fine. But maintain your ties in the meantime. Have a bank account. Address. Even if you're not in the US, you must still comply with all the requirements of being an LPR. And when you're coming back, come in prepared to prove to the officer that you are here to stay.

Re the gender issue, keep on trying. Your stamp in your passport is enough to admit you into the US but the sooner you get the GC, the easier it is in terms of getting a driver's license, work etc. You can do all of that with the passport, but it's just easier from a practical perspective.

Edited by EmilyW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I recently got my green card in the mail and with it came a "welcome to the US" letter, which included a statement that said that if I was planning on being outside the US for longer than a year, I needed to apply for a reentry permit before leaving the US. Might be a difference between a conditional and permanent resident though, as I've seen people on VJ talk about six months.

What do you mean that you went to the US to get your green card but you understand that you had to leave after 180 days??? You haven't filled out your timeline so how did you get your green card; spouse, fiance, adjustment of status, diversity lottery??? If you went to the US to activate your green card, then that made you either a conditional or permanent resident, either way, you're allowed to stay in the US once you activate your green card.

OP was saying he understood he had to leave his homeland within 180 days to go back to the US.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

The best way to save time was to apply for a replacement card (form i-90) at no cost when you first saw the error. Anyway, at this point it's best to make an INFOpass appointment at a local office and talk to them about their so called resolved thing.

It will definitely take lots of months to get a new card, if you need to travel soon, you can have an i-551 stamp on your passport from a local uscis office.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Your visa or your green card? If its your visa you need to contact the Embassy or consulate and DOS.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello again,

my Green card has a mistake. It says I am female, but I am male. I informed Dept of Homeland Security vis their website 3 months ago, but they did not address the error. I contacted them again, but they said I need to wait until the first request is processed. Now I received that the issue has been resolved?! It has not been resolved. No corrections were made. It is urgent, I need to leave for USA soon. What should I do?

Thank you

The best way to save time was to apply for a replacement card (form i-90) at no cost when you first saw the error. Anyway, at this point it's best to make an INFOpass appointment at a local office and talk to them about their so called resolved thing.

It will definitely take lots of months to get a new card, if you need to travel soon, you can have an i-551 stamp on your passport from a local uscis office.

Arken is correct. You should have filed a I-90 to replace your green card.

When you say that you contacted them online, what do you mean?

Do you mean that you filed an online I-90? If so, then you've done what you need to and it can take several months (sometimes over 6) to get a new card. Do as Arken suggests and make an Infopass appointment so that you can get an I-551 stamp good for one year. This will prove your permanent resident status and you can use it to travel (same restrictions apply as if you had a physical green card). Take any receipt you got from filing the I-90 with you to the appointment. Then you'll just have to wait until you get the actual card.

If you have not filed an I-90, then you need to do so; I believe that the filing fee will still be waived (if I understand the instructions correctly).

Here are the instructions for the paper application, but I assume it's the same for the online form:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

It doesn't sound like the OP is even in the USA so I wonder if they have an immigrant visa not a green card (yet.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

OP has another thread stating he was in the US then traveled back to his home country.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/598671-when-do-i-need-to-move-to-usa-after-green-card-approval/

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

How did you get your Green Card? Was it spousal, or lottery ? As far as I know you can't leave the States for longer then 6 months or maybe year tops, otherwise you will lose it. Since they expect you to live inside of the

US after you get your GC. I think you should try to settle there asap so you don't run the risk of loosing it in general. As for gender mistake should keep contacting those people who told you to wait. Just keep trying to reach them and find out what's going on.

Thank you. I got my GC through my mother. As for returning to USA within 180 days. Is it okay to return right on the dot? I left USA in Feb 20th, so can I return to USA on August 20th?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.