AC1022

Inviting Parents to visit

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'd like to know what are the steps / document for inviting parents to come visit. I am currently on 2 years conditional green card. I've read some places saying they can just apply for travel / tourists visa, and others recommending B2, which I will need to present documentations as proof etc etc..

What is the best way? I would really appreciate if someone can share helpful links or give me some guidance.

Thank you very much

Cat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

A B2 visa is a tourist visa. You don't have to present any documentation. THEY will have to prove strong ties to their country in order to obtain a tourist visa to visit you.

Check the tourist visa forum here.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/143-tourist-visas/

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html

PS: You can write an invitation letter if you wish, but remember that your parents will need to present documents to prove they have enough ties to return to their country. My mom applied for a b2 visa last year and they did not even bother in reading my invitation letter. Thankfully she was approved anyways.

Edited by Sunnyland

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from ROC Discussion to Tourist Visa Forum~

~Inquiry about tourist visas~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am a permanent resident (via marriage with US Citizen) here in States. I was previously on F1 student visa and then applied for GC basing on marriage after school. Now my parents are coming to visit me and my husband for the first time and they are going to US embassy for the interview soon.. Since me and my husband wrote up the invitation letter as the reason of visit for them, I'd like to know what documentation immigration officer would possibly need from me and my husband. I already have:

Letter from my employer to prove my financial stability

Invitation letter to my parents from me and my husband

Invitation letter for the immigration office from me and my husband (to explain why my parents are visiting and some details of the trip plan)

Scan copy of my GC

Scan copy of my foreign Passport

My parents also have documentation from my motherland country to prove my relationship with them

Do I need anything else? Such as my previous F1 visa documentation? Does my husband have to provide anything?

Note: my parents do have all required documentation as tourists visa applicants, I am solely asking from my and my husband's perspective.

I appreciate all input.

Thank you !

Well, it is counter-intuitive to me that since they put their reason to visit US is to see me, their daughter (and travel on the side if time permits), then wouldn't it be natural for immigration officer to check if I am actually their daughter, and if I am here in states as a green card holder? That is the reason I'm providing the invitation letter, my green card, and my passport.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Agree

Where is your homeland.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.