K415

Urgent - Some important questions

9 posts in this topic

I had received IR-1 visa on 26 February 2015, following are my questions,

1. My wife used to stay in Phoenix, Arizona when we applied visa ( she is originally from AZ). I filled D-260 in month of August and I have mentioned Phoenix address of her at that time. She moved to Houston, Texas in month of October. By phone I already updated her new address to NVC , they assured that the address have been updated. Also I got checklist in October and we updated new address in that too and sent. In interview I told that this AOS form has updated information of my wife including her new employment. But they never asked me about new address and I never told them. And now my final immigration data summary has her old address. I want to change my point of entry (POE) to Houston. For that I have contacted USCIS, Local embassy and NVC , all told me that I need to talk to CBC officer at POE.

Also this is what Local Embassy told me

Dear Sir,

Your U.S. address was recorded based on the information on your Form DS-260. As you did not enter your new address on your Form DS-260, we were not able to update your U.S. address. Furthermore, a copy of your data sheet was handed to you for checking at the time of your appointment and you had confirmed the information as correct.

We regret that we are not able to update your U.S. address as your visa has already been issued. However, you may update your address information with the CBP officers at the Point of Entry when you enter the United States. Alternatively, you may complete Form AR-11 Change of Address and mail this form to the USCIS. Form AR-11 may be downloaded from the following website: http://www.uscis.gov/ar-11

They have not handed me anything to check or confirm.

I have asked USCIS they told me that since I have not entered US yet, they can't help me regarding this.

What should I do in this case, can I change my POE before taking flight to USA.

2. Because of my incomplete projects with current company, I am going to fly on mid of May which is quite late than usually take flight between couple of weeks, is it going to affect anything on POE?

3. How long does it take to get Social Security Card and Green Card after the arrival, because I already have employment and my joining date is end of May?

4. Do I need to physically present to receive cards, because after my arrival me and wife decided to take a week vacation?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Filed: Timeline

Just wanted to share my experience about the address change and time frame receive SS card, GC after arrival:

DS260 filled with an address (address in the east coast) and few weeks before enter the US we changed our mind to land and plan stay for a few months in a different state. In the airplane before land we filled the custom form and filled a new address on it. During landing process at POE, the CBP officer noticed the new address on the custom form which different with the address in DS260, and asked us whether we wanted to change address in the DS260. We said yes... then the CBP officer changed the address in the DS260.

8 days after landed at POE, we received the SS card and about 6 week received the GC in the new address.

Edited by adjective

When you're in secondary, you can speak with the officers and ask to update the address there.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Just wanted to share my experience about the address change and time frame receive SS card, GC after arrival:

DS260 filled with an address (address in the east coast) and few weeks before enter the US we changed our mind to land and plan stay for a few months in a different state. In the airplane before land we filled the custom form and filled a new address on it. During landing process at POE, the CBP officer noticed the new address on the custom form which different with the address in DS260, and asked us whether we wanted to change address in the DS260. We said yes... then the CBP officer changed the address in the DS260.

8 days after landed at POE, we received the SS card and about 6 week received the GC in the new address.

First and foremost thanks a lot for explaining nicely and sharing your experience. One more thing I would like to ask you is do you need to physically present when they mail your card or they will just drop in your letter box. I mean to say do you sign the receiving copy ??

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

4. Do I need to physically present to receive cards, because after my arrival me and wife decided to take a week vacation?

No

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

First and foremost thanks a lot for explaining nicely and sharing your experience. One more thing I would like to ask you is do you need to physically present when they mail your card or they will just drop in your letter box. I mean to say do you sign the receiving copy ??

Sure....

I am not sure about that. My experience receiving the SS letter and the GC letter as follows:

On the day we received the SS letter, we were at the address for the whole day, nobody knocking the door for delivering the SS letter. In the evening we saw the SS letter in the mailbox.

On the day we received the GC letter, nobody were at the address for the whole day. The next day we saw the GC letter in the mailbox.

I have attached picture of the SS letter (first class) and the GC letter (priority mail) - (the identifiable information has been deleted)

post-206542-0-15268600-1428600554_thumb.jpg

post-206542-0-32832100-1428600566_thumb.jpg

Edited by adjective

Sure....

I am not sure about that. My experience receiving the SS letter and the GC letter as follows:

On the day we received the SS letter, we were at the address for the whole day, nobody knocking the door for delivering the SS letter. In the evening we saw the SS letter in the mailbox.

On the day we received the GC letter, nobody were at the address for the whole day. The next day we saw the GC letter in the mailbox.

I have attached picture of the SS letter (first class) and the GC letter (priority mail) - (the identifiable information has been deleted)

Thanks a lot for providing me such a detail information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.