bowens44

Fiancee got a call from SLEC today only 5 weeks after samples taken

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Looks like my fiancee has tested positive for TB, no other reason to get the call I guess. They told her to come in next week.

I don't know what to do now. She has no where to stay. her friends and relatives will not allow her to stay at their houses. I don't know if I can afford to pay for an apartment and food etc for 6 months....In full panic mode now.

I'm in shock I didnt expect this. I have no idea how to find a place for her to stay.....She is feeling lost right now. So am I.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fill in a timeline. Others will know what country and more information. She should go home. There is no reason she should have to remain in Manilla for 6 months. TB treatment in the Philippines is available for no charge everywhere in the Philippines. This sounds suspicious at best to me! I personally spent over $300 sending money to the Philippines to save a young girl's life (not my fiancee or any of her family). Then when I met my Fiancee she pointed out that the whole thing was a scam. Then I met the young woman (with my Fiancee with me) in person and definately it was all a big Scam! That she can't stay with any friends or family in the Philippines also sounds suspicious.

Timeline

Of course it's Friday night now and I supose she'll tell you that no one willl allow her to say because they are afraid of her being contagious so perhaps pay for a hotel and a small budget for food for the weekend. and then have her go to a Gov. clinic on Monday morning who can help her and reassure family/friends that they don't need to worry. Alternatively if she's really worried and upset rather than just sitting around a hotel in Manilla for the weekend send he to a phamacy to get a mask and then get on a bus to say Baugio for instance, The bus will be an overnight trip and in the morning she can tour Baugio and have mini vacation there away from stress and preassure before heading back to Manilla on Monday or Tuesday to go to a Gov. Clinic and deal the TB. The bus is cheap and hotels in baugio or other destinations are cheaper (much cheaper) than Manilla!

Fill in a timeline. Others will know what country and more information. She should go home. There is no reason she should have to remain in Manilla for 6 months. TB treatment in the Philippines is available for no charge everywhere in the Philippines. This sounds suspicious at best to me! I personally spent over $300 sending money to the Philippines to save a young girl's life (not my fiancee or any of her family). Then when I met my Fiancee she pointed out that the whole thing was a scam. Then I met the young woman (with my Fiancee with me) in person and definately it was all a big Scam! That she can't stay with any friends or family in the Philippines also sounds suspicious.

Its not a scam. Its a requirement. she has to be treated at slec. That's the way it is. If you know something other then something some heard please show me. Her family has small children in each house they are very worried about the children getting tb and she feels a great deal of shame.

Of course it's Friday night now and I supose she'll tell you that no one willl allow her to say because they are afraid of her being contagious so perhaps pay for a hotel and a small budget for food for the weekend. and then have her go to a Gov. clinic on Monday morning who can help her and reassure family/friends that they don't need to worry. Alternatively if she's really worried and upset rather than just sitting around a hotel in Manilla for the weekend send he to a phamacy to get a mask and then get on a bus to say Baugio for instance, The bus will be an overnight trip and in the morning she can tour Baugio and have mini vacation there away from stress and preassure before heading back to Manilla on Monday or Tuesday to go to a Gov. Clinic and deal the TB. The bus is cheap and hotels in baugio or other destinations are cheaper (much cheaper) than Manilla!

She is home now she has to go to SLEC next week. Her mother has told her she is not to tell anyone is gong on. It's always positive when the call is received this early. She will be going back to manila on monday

Timeline

Sorrry I jumped to a conclusion. There is no excuse for that. I'm glad she's home. TB is serious and I've read some more about it. Let's see what happens. Perhaps SL only needs to redo a test or something. Glad you've got time to think it thru. God Bless both of you and best of luck. Hopefully others more knowledgable then I can chime in and offer advice.

Looks like my fiancee has tested positive for TB, no other reason to get the call I guess. They told her to come in next week.

I don't know what to do now. She has no where to stay. her friends and relatives will not allow her to stay at their houses. I don't know if I can afford to pay for an apartment and food etc for 6 months....In full panic mode now.

I'm in shock I didnt expect this. I have no idea how to find a place for her to stay.....She is feeling lost right now. So am I.

I'm sorry to hear that. Was it through sputum culture, xray, or skin test that she was found positive? If her skin test is positive, it could also mean she was just exposed to TB and not really have an active infection. If they saw something in her Xray, then they might consider her to probably be infected. The only way they can be sure is by ordering a sputum culture (results take 1-2 months I think). If the sputum culture is negative, she doesn't need to be treated. If its positive.. well.. that's when the 6 month treatment comes in.

You don't have to keep her away from them for months. Once she starts her treatment, the disease is no longer contagious at around the 3rd-4th week of taking the medications. In the meantime, you can go to a hospital and get tested for Tuberculosis to make sure she's not contagious. If she isn't, then there shouldn't be any problems with her staying with her family. Just be reminded that St Lukes doesn't care about 3rd party results so you can't go to them with the findings. I'm just suggesting it for your own peace of mind and safety for her and her family.

I'm sorry to hear that. Was it through sputum culture, xray, or skin test that she was found positive? If her skin test is positive, it could also mean she was just exposed to TB and not really have an active infection. If they saw something in her Xray, then they might consider her to probably be infected. The only way they can be sure is by ordering a sputum culture (results take 1-2 months I think). If the sputum culture is negative, she doesn't need to be treated. If its positive.. well.. that's when the 6 month treatment comes in.

You don't have to keep her away from them for months. Once she starts her treatment, the disease is no longer contagious at around the 3rd-4th week of taking the medications. In the meantime, you can go to a hospital and get tested for Tuberculosis to make sure she's not contagious. If she isn't, then there shouldn't be any problems with her staying with her family. Just be reminded that St Lukes doesn't care about 3rd party results so you can't go to them with the findings. I'm just suggesting it for your own peace of mind and safety for her and her family.

She has had the culture, we were waiting for the 2 Month period to be over. She wasn't scheduled to call them until Dec 9. This almost always means positive on the culture. It started with the xray then the sputum smears.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am sorry. This is the call that we would not want before the 8th week as we know it will be positive. I am 8 weeks and 1 day today. Hoping to get negative result.

I talked to those who are positive and currently have treatments in slec on how much is their monthly budget. One said 10k includes 3.5k shared room rent which is walking distance to slec but that is already a very tight budget since they are not allowed to cook. They only eat outside the lodging house. There are lodging houses around slec who accept people who undergo treatments as they like it cos for sure it will be 6 months sure income for them. Other patients, rent an apartment worth 15k so they can cook and have privacy. I interviewed more than 10 people who are in treatment during my 3 days sputum tests. I was freaking out so I like to be prepared and know what will be the possible expenses.

AOS Journey:

March 30 - AOS/EAD/AP sent

April 2 - USCIS received

April 9 - NOA1

May 6 - Biometrics

May 7 - Case is ready for interview

May 21 - Request for EAD expedite

May 26 - contact congressman for EAD expedite

June 1 - EAD card in production

June 2 - EAD approved

June 6 - EAD/AP combo card received

Timeline

VERY bad advice!! :ranting:

SLEC is required to administer the medication daily, that is what DOT is (Direct Observation Therapy) ... she will need to stay in the Makati area for 6 months.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Being SLEC called early that is a big indicator that her culture is positive. It sucks, but it is also a good thing as TB kills and it is good it was caught and now can be cured.

I don't have any info for lodging during that time. Hopefully others that have done this have some suggestions for you.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

It's hard news to accept at the beginning, but you will survive if you remain focused to your love one.

Initially there are 3 sputum samples collected over 3 days. This occurs sometime around a week or so after the initial x-ray shows signs of past or present TB. Those samples are used to determine if the suspected case is in fact TB. It only takes one of those samples to go positive for the case to be classified as TB positive. We received our call from SLEC about 3 weeks after the sputum collection.

After positive determination, SLEC does a series of 3 sputum tests during the 6 month DOT process. Each test is 2 samples. The final 2 sputum samples are collected at the end of the 5th month of DOT. Those are taken over 2 days, 24 hours apart. That culture will marinade for 2 months. The DOT is weekdays at SLEC and they're closed on weekends and holidays. There's a return trip required at the end of the 7th month to get the final sputum results, redo medical and to get the treatment paperwork.

Bed-spacer close to SLEC will cost approximately 5,000 a month. Apartment is about 15,000 plus utilities. We chose the apartment route and budget about 30,000 a month for everything.

It's a 9 month process from the point of X-ray detection if the sputum is positive. That's if all goes well.

Please don't give information out that you are not sure of or can't back up from a trusting source. It only adds to the person's anxiety and can cause them to make wrong decision causing set backs.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Please don't give information out that you are not sure of or can't back up from a trusting source. It only adds to the person's anxiety and can cause them to make wrong decision causing set backs.

I agree with your statement Greenbaum. I hope my statement referring to the 9 month positive TB process is not too daunting to people. I'm simply referring to the 2 months before DOT, the 6 months of DOT and the 1 month SLEC period after DOT before the interview.

We're living in Ermita now. If we can be of any help please ask.

Edited by luckytwo15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.