del-2-5-2014

PSA: Marijuana Is Still Illegal In The USA

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration-Related Discussion, from Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits - As this concern the medical and interview times before visa is granted to come to the US, and this forum would reach more people in this forum.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Is this related to the immigration medical exam that u do before sending the documents for AOS ? Do they check your blood for marijuana and ask u questions have u ever smoked, and if the answer is yes or the blood result is positive u get 1 year ban? And what exactly is that 1 year ban?

AOS based on a marriage with US citizen:

06/06/2012 - last entry in USA on J1 visa;

05/06/2013 - got married;

07/18/2013 - sent the package (I-130, I-485, I-765);

07/23/2013 - USCIS received the package;

07/29/2013 - received notifications for acceptance via e-mails and text messages;

08/02/2013 - received notifications for acceptance via mail;

08/08/2013 - received biometrics letter (appointment for 08/14) via mail, without any e-mail or text message notifications;

08/14/2013 - done with biometrics;

08/22/2013 - I-485 online status updated to "Testing and Interview";

08/28/2013 - I-485 online status says " On August 28, 2013, we mailed you an appointment notice for an interview for October 4, 2013...";

08/30/2013 - received notification for an Interview on October 04 2013, 8:30 am via mail;

09/23/2013 - I-765 online status updated to "Card/Document Production";

09/28/2013 - received EAD card;

10/04/2013 - interview day - approved on spot!

10/17/2013 - received my green card via mail

Filed: Timeline

1) Is this related to the immigration medical exam that u do before sending the documents for AOS ? 2) Do they check your blood for marijuana and 3) ask u questions have u ever smoked, and 4) if the answer is yes or the blood result is positive u get 1 year ban? 5) And what exactly is that 1 year ban?

1) This is for the medical test you do in the foreign clinic before getting yoru visa. I am nto sur ei fyou have to do the same test for AOS. The astute beneficiary will research though as the answer will be on here.

2) For the test above, yes.

3) Seemingly so.

4) Yes.

5) Visa will not be issued a visa for at least one year. There are more requirements.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes this concerns medical and interview in the home country. If the person is doing a medical in the US it may also apply.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Gowon,

i had posted these same comments on this forum previously, but the naysayers didn't want to believe that all

DRUG testing is done in all countries medical. Illegal drug is tested as part of the medical for immigration to the US, it does not mean that all indivuals are tested. It just might be someones unlucky day to get tested or questioned. The US immigration has a none discrimation policy on drug testing, therefore any indivual from any contry can be tested or questioned for illegal drugs.

When I pointed this out, the naysayers only wanted to believe that this only happens in developing countries. As I had stated only the brave will come bak on a public foum and tell that they were denied for illegal drug testing or questions.

Others just quitely wait out the 1 year ban.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Just as you watch your driving so as not to have issues before interviews, watch who you are around and heed the warnings to steer clear of exposure to cannabis... Random testing is done everywhere, don't put yourself in a predicament unnecessarily .... As far as how you answer any questions presented, that is a personal judgement call but I would certainly not volunteer any information...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Listen to this advice people. Follow FEDERAL law when trying to come here with your loved ones.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am not a proponent of "medical" use even though I could get it in a heat beat ( it wouldn't stop the darn hair loss and the rashes which probably bothers more than the nausea )

I think no matter how you warn people the people that think using is OK also somehow of the mind set that they are not going to get caught. I also noticed that the denials go up near holidays ( party time I guess )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes they check EVERYONE who applies... there's no discrimination involved. I was a middle-class squeaky clean never-even-LOOKED-at-a-drug-in-my-life Australian and I still had to have the completely unecessary drug and STD tests, and the humiliating inspection of my private parts. Unless they make a major change in the law, the testing will apply to everyone. I'm sure they do it on children and old age pensioners alike.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Great post Gowon.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Timeline

Interesting read here for those asking the why the law and rule. Has nothing to do with whats in your body when you tested (well yes if you tested dirty), but its about you admitting to committing a crime pure and simple that's what admitting to taking drugs is. You’ve admitted the essential elements of a crime involving moral turpitude, which is the use of illegal drugs.

In case you’re wondering, "moral turpitude" is a term referenced in U.S. immigration law that means you’ve violated community standards of justice, honesty or good morals.

And I love his advice no lie or anything. Just don't use. And yes we have come along way from lifetime bans but the world better wake up. You want in you got to play by the host rules.

ADMITTING DRUG USE COULD RESULT IN A LIFETIME BAN

by Michael J. Gurfinkel, Esq.

Many Filipinos consulted with me regarding the same problem: their visa was denied by the U.S. Embassy because they admitted to the doctors at St. Luke's that they had, years ago, smoked marijuana or used some other drug. At their visa interview, they are shocked to find that their visa is being refused, with the annotation "you have admitted to committing acts which constitute a controlled substance violation - no waiver."

In one case, a 29-year-old nurse had been recruited for a job in a U.S. hospital. During visa processing, she was asked a very routine question: "Have you smoked marijuana or taken any controlled substance?" The nurse said that she had "tasted" marijuana once during a party when she was 18 years old. It was just a harmless "try", done out of curiosity. Her visa was denied, and she was banned for life.

Another person was a middle-aged man, said he tried marijuana two or three times when he was a teenager. His visa application was likewise denied. This man, who was petitioned by his U.S. citizen parents, had waited for more than 10 years for his priority date to be current. But now he was being told he would never go to the U.S.

None of these people had ever been charged with, or convicted of, any drug-related crime. They merely admitted that they tried or tasted marijuana or other drug during their younger days.

Under U.S. immigration laws, a person is inadmissible (not eligible for a visa) if they have ever been convicted of, or admitted having violated any law of any country relating to a controlled substance. As the law states, "[A]ny alien convicted of, or who admits having committed , or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of . . . a violation of . . . any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance . . . is inadmissible." Marijuana is considered a "controlled substance." Therefore, if you smoked (or "used") Marijuana, you may have violated a law relating to a controlled substance.

It may seem that U.S. immigration laws were harsh in the case of the nurse and middle-aged man, who had merely tried marijuana out of curiosity many years ago. But, the use of Marijuana in the Philippines is against the law, and admitting marijuana use was enough for the Embassy to refuse the visas under Section 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II). This was the case even though they never used marijuana again, and blood tests would never reveal the use of drugs or Marijuana. But they admitted to having smoked Marijuana, which could be a violation of a law relating to a controlled substance. And now they had to suffer the consequences. (The Embassy was only following and enforcing the law, in refusing the visas.)

Therefore, it is my strong advice to anyone who is under petition that you do not take any drugs, or you could jeopardize your coming to America. The U.S. Government is taking a very tough stance against people who use drugs or violate drug laws

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Interesting but but totally WRONG this is almost a decade old and based on older stance on drug use Pot no longer leads to a lifetime ban ( casual person use sale of any illegal drug is a ban )

Timeline

Interesting but but totally WRONG this is almost a decade old and based on older stance on drug use Pot no longer leads to a lifetime ban ( casual person use sale of any illegal drug is a ban )

You must have jumped over the first part that I said and I stated:

"Interesting read here for those asking the why the law and rule. Has nothing to do with whats in your body when you tested (well yes if you tested dirty), but its about you admitting to committing a crime pure and simple that's what admitting to taking drugs is. You’ve admitted the essential elements of a crime involving moral turpitude, which is the use of illegal drugs.

In case you’re wondering, "moral turpitude" is a term referenced in U.S. immigration law that means you’ve violated community standards of justice, honesty or good morals.

And I love his advice no lie or anything. Just don't use. And yes we have come along way from lifetime bans but the world better wake up. You want in you got to play by the host rules".

The question was asked in the other thread (there are 3 of them people getting denied just this week). And no nothing about this is WRONG then or now. All 3 people were just like the people in this story and weren't users and were asked about "have you ever". So how is this article not relevant. Or how is it wrong?

People want to know the history why and all that they need to know. This is just as relevant today as it was 10 years ago. So the penalty is less. The question is still the same "have you ever used illegal drugs" yes 1 year ban plain and simple.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

If the answer to have you ever is yes then they are users of the drug. It is very simple the only ones how haven't used the drug are just that people who have NEVER used the drug. I don't understand why people have such a total lack of personal accountability that they try to white wash the fact they are drug users

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.