buttermaker

EXPERIENCE Renouncing Ukrainian Citizenship

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Does anyone have actual experience renouncing Ukrainian citizenship after becoming a U.S. citizen? I have read many threads about the topic but no one has stated they have actually gone through this process.

- Who did you contact?

- What forms and documents are required to complete the process?

- How much does it cost (if anything)?

- Did a legal firm in the U.S. or in Ukraine to help you with this?

- How long does it take?

- Did you complete the process before or after becoming a U.S. citizen?

- Were you able to complete the process within the U.S.?

- Have you traveled to Ukraine since?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Does anyone have actual experience renouncing Ukrainian citizenship after becoming a U.S. citizen? I have read many threads about the topic but no one has stated they have actually gone through this process.

- Who did you contact?

- What forms and documents are required to complete the process?

- How much does it cost (if anything)?

- Did a legal firm in the U.S. or in Ukraine to help you with this?

- How long does it take?

- Did you complete the process before or after becoming a U.S. citizen?

- Were you able to complete the process within the U.S.?

- Have you traveled to Ukraine since?

Thank you!

Why do you want to do that? My wife is now a US citizen and we haven't told anyone in Ukraine. What would be the benefit of that?

Yes we have traveled to Ukraine many times (we are in Ukraine now) Alla uses her US passport to enter. No issues, no questions.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Why do you want to do that? My wife is now a US citizen and we haven't told anyone in Ukraine. What would be the benefit of that?

Yes we have traveled to Ukraine many times (we are in Ukraine now) Alla uses her US passport to enter. No issues, no questions.

I'm confused as to how your wife can pass through Ukraine without being questioned because her U.S. passport will indicate where she was born. It sounds like you're leaving out a few details, so I have a few questions about how your wife is clearing passport control:

1. Was your wife born in Ukraine or another former Soviet state?

2. Did your wife change her name when she become a U.S. citizen? In other words, is her name different in her U.S. passport from her Ukrainian passport?

3. Has your wife ever been asked if she is Ukrainian by passport control?

Timeline

I'm confused as to how your wife can pass through Ukraine without being questioned because her U.S. passport will indicate where she was born. It sounds like you're leaving out a few details, so I have a few questions about how your wife is clearing passport control:

1. Was your wife born in Ukraine or another former Soviet state?

2. Did your wife change her name when she become a U.S. citizen? In other words, is her name different in her U.S. passport from her Ukrainian passport?

3. Has your wife ever been asked if she is Ukrainian by passport control?

My wife enters Ukraine showing her US passport.

It lists her place of birth as "Ukraine SSR"

Her US passport has her married name, Her Ukraine passport has her maiden name. She changed her name when she became a citizen and not before. Her green card was in her maiden name

She has never been asked anything at passport control in Ukraine. You think they care? she has entered Ukraine using her US passport four times since she became a citizen of the US. Our son is also a citizen and also identified as being born in "Ukraine" (it was no longer the SU at that time) on his US passport. No issues.

When her Ukraine passposrt is going to expire, she will renew it IN UKRAINE on one of our visits. We spend about 3 months per year here on 1-2 visits.

We got Pasha his own Ukraine International Passport this year (he turned 18 in March). No issues. Showed his internal passport and birth certificate and former travel document. No questions asked.

This is a non-issue. Unless you have some reason to surrender citizenship, why would you?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

This is a non-issue. Unless you have some reason to surrender citizenship, why would you?

Sounds like you've been lucky but all it takes is one zealous passport control officer to ruin your vacation. In such a corrupt country as Ukraine, it's simply a matter of time before you are detained and fined.

As I originally stated, I'm interested in hearing from people who have experience renouncing their Ukrainian citizenship. Please do not respond to this thread if all you have to offer are anecdotes and opinions.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

deleted (this is what i get for not reading all the post)

It seems you have your mind made up with what you want to do, I hope someone can help you with the information you seek. If a mod comes across this just delete my post, thank you!

Edited by St&Sv

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

Timeline

Sounds like you've been lucky but all it takes is one zealous passport control officer to ruin your vacation. In such a corrupt country as Ukraine, it's simply a matter of time before you are detained and fined.

As I originally stated, I'm interested in hearing from people who have experience renouncing their Ukrainian citizenship. Please do not respond to this thread if all you have to offer are anecdotes and opinions.

Well since I know dozens of people who do the same thing I do not consider ourselves "lucky" and, as you mention, Ukraine is corrupt...absolutely and to the core at every level fromthe mailman to the President. I do not expect anyone would be detained and fined. Shaken down for a bribe, perhaps, detained and fined? No.

Unfortunately I can offer you real world experience, but if you are determined to surrender her Ukraine citizenship I would not have a clue where to begin

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So if you do not like my responses then ask a Mod to remove them. It is a public forum for the benefit of everyone and you really don't get to choose what words I post. You are posing a question in a public forum that may have interest to other members and my responses may also. If you do not like that, then choose another medium for asking. Pay an attorney perhaps.

There was a case here recently where a VJ member with both passports entered Ukraine using her US passport. She intended to leave within the 90 days allowed for visa free travel. Her mother became ill and she had to stay. OH NO! What to do? Would she receive an overstay and possible ban on future visits? Do a serch of the forums. It was posted in the Russia, Ukraine, Belarus forum

No. She went to the Ukrainian immigration dept. told them of her predictament and explained she had both passports. They said "Oh, no problem, you are a Ukrainian citizen" they granted her an extension to stay in her US passport.!

This law is vague, no one knows if it is even in effect...it requires the President's authority to enforce, the prior President said he would and never did. The current President says he won't. Could you be shaken down for a bribe by an overzealous passport control agent? Of course. Who hasn't? we paid them $100 to let Alla through with her dog and cat when she came here..."the papers were not in order" whatever.

You are asking for experience and information...that is it.

I am guessing you are no tgoing to find anyone that surrendered their passport. Alla's opinion is..."If they want it, then come and get it"

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't think you are going to get many responses because there really is no reason to renounce citizenship, as you have been told.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I don't think you are going to get many responses because there really is no reason to renounce citizenship, as you have been told.

I too know of a few couples who travel back and forth to Ukraine and those have both passport; makes it easier.

Seems like the OP wants to forge new ground; and that is commendable for sure.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I too know of a few couples who travel back and forth to Ukraine and those have both passport; makes it easier.

Seems like the OP wants to forge new ground; and that is commendable for sure.

The OP is also brand new to this forum and has no timeline. I wonder where they read many threads about the subject?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

The OP is also brand new to this forum and has no timeline. I wonder where they read many threads about the subject?

This topic has been covered many times in these forums. there are lots of people with both Ukrainian and US passports. If the OP will simply click on "portals" at the top of the page, it takes him to the "Ukraine Portal" where all topics are started by Ukraine members. There is another thread running right now on this issue and there have been many on the subject. Do a search of the portal using key words and VOILA you will see every topicand post on the subject.

Good luck finding someone that surrendered a passport.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/347797-ukraine-extended-stay/page-3

Read post 35, read the whole thread if you like. You will see that a lot of people think things that simply are not so.

This woman has two passports, overstayed her US visa free allowance, went to OVIR and explained the situation. No problem. They asked to see her Ukrainian passport in addition to her US passport.

The law against dual citizenship is not being enforced on US/Ukraine citizens currently. Could it change? It's Ukraine, anything can change. Could you be shaken down for a bribe? Yes, it is Ukraine, you can always be shaken down for a bribe.

I look for this to change soon anyway. All I ccan say is there is no way Alla is going to give up her Ukraine passport unless they chase her, catch her and take it away from her. Its nonsense.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I know that, at least for Russia, a Russian or USSR born individual cannot get a visa to Russia in their US passport unless they have renounced their Russian citizenship. I am guessing this was probably the case 8 or 10 years ago when US citizens needed a visa to visit Ukraine. Since that has all changed it seems that duel citizenship is not an issue, and passport control does not care and couldn't know if you had renounced your citizenship.

Again, no reason to renounce Ukranian citizenship.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My passport also says I was born in Ukraine (not even in UkSSR, just plain Ukraine). I went back and forth 3 times within the past year, staying there about a week each time. Nobody ever asked me anything (entered in Kiev and in Dnepropetrovsk). I'm going back in a week for my fiancee's interview and I'm not worried in the least.

I don't know anybody at all that tried to renounce their Ukrainian citizenship. I do not know anyone that ever had issues enter Ukraine on a US passport, no matter what it says on it. I don't think even Ukrainian officials know the procedure to renounce citizenship as nobody ever does it (they'll probably just make up some bs forms and fees and charge you for it and pocket the money).

Edited by vbtwo

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.