CANbirdUSman

K1-AOS interview : What did you bring?

K1-AOS interview, what did you bring?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. AOS interview, did you bring what was asked, or did you bring EVERYTHING

• Brought ONLY what was asked for in appointment letter
    • Brought EVERYTHING ever submitted to the USCIS

13 posts in this topic

I know others have asked, or will . so let's do a 2013 survey so the information will be current.

Upcoming AOS interview (K1). Appointment letter says to bring specific things, pertaining to application, Form AOS/ I-485.

Great! so bring that information (OBVIOUSLY), whatever they ask for on the letter. Okay, understand that.

BUT ... do you only bring that information, or do you HAUL it all, EVERYTHING you've every sent into the USCIS?

So, what did you bring? What was asked? Or Everything?

Looking forward to seeing the results...

star_smile.gif

Edited by CANbirdUSman

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We took everything we filed, what they wanted and some of the originals with good photo copies in-case they wanted one, plus extra stuff not used. I think the term is" including the kitchen sink". They will review your application in detail, ask some individual questions of each of you and your done hopefully. The IO liked the picture of my wife with Sheriff Joe and I. Two big gringos and a tiny Chinese girl.

Edited by bigdog

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

We literally followed the official instructions of the I-797c, Request for Applicant to Appear for Initial Interview, in particular:

"ALL documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status." (Emphasis added.) The instruction seemed pretty self-explanatory to me, especially since it is listed under the title, "YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU:"

Prior to the interview while waiting in the lobby, the IO contacted me and wanted me to fill our another G325-A. Thankfully, I had brought a copy of the original that I had sent in with my initial I-129F petition, so I was able to give consistent information. At the interview, the IO asked for all three of our passports, wife, stepson, and myself. He removed the I-94s from their passports. He asked us some basic questions, he then asked to see some of our relationship photos from our first initial meeting. (Taken from the same set as our forum photo of the Great Wall of China.). He then asked to see my original divorce decrees. He asked to see their birth certificates (AKA White Books). He wanted to make photocopies of everything that he had reviewed/inspected. In preparation for the interview, I had inserted all of our original documents/certificates and all of our photos (digital, color laser printed on plain copy paper) in clear plastic presentation sheet protectors. I had previously made color laser copies of all our original documents/certificates, including every page of each of our passports. I indicated to the IO that he could compare the color laser copies to the originals, and keep any copies and any photos he desired.

All told, I believe that I had about a six inch thick packet of papers when we went into the interview, I was all too happy to offload to the IO any copies that he wanted. I figured that I would rather not make another trip to the DHS office, just to deliver some document/information, so I brought everything as bigdog described, "including the kitchen sink."

My family got their GCs in 105 days from submission of paperwork.

YMMV.

Good luck. :thumbs:

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Thank you both for sharing.

Guess it's best to bring everything 'including the kitchen sink', just in case.

I have to fly to my interview, trying to just bring carry-on. (If I have to check a bag, no big deal). Staying over 4 nights.

Cheers

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png

Timeline

Thank you both for sharing.

Guess it's best to bring everything 'including the kitchen sink', just in case.

I have to fly to my interview, trying to just bring carry-on. (If I have to check a bag, no big deal). Staying over 4 nights.

Cheers

Hey, you are most welcome. The confounding factor in all of this immigration journey is the government. Their requirements/time frames/rules can, and do change at any time. The IO at these interviews have very wide latitude in the nature and scope of their potential line of inquiry. Heck, as evidenced by a recent thread, they can even show up at your house at anytime to verify anything, to their satisfaction. You can reap great rewards if you are prepared.

We employed the same thought process when my now-wife had her visa interview at the US consulate in Guangzhou, China. Visa interviews at that consulate are not known to be a "walk-in-the-park." I was not allowed to be in attendance, per consulate policy. I flew to Guangzhou to provide her with any documents that she may have needed, and extend moral support. We certainly didn't want any issues/problems/further delays at the consulate. The consulate was ~ 2,000km from her home and ~ 10,000 km from my home. The bottom line is that it paid off for us, my wife and stepson got their visas.

Good luck at the interview. I hope that you are successful in your immigration journey. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Good for A&B, and good advice from A&B, si man.

"There is no such thing as being too prepared." In practical terms, this means "Would I rather NOT take something and end up needing it, or would I rather take everything and end up NOT needing it?"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Good for A&B, and good advice from A&B, si man.

"There is no such thing as being too prepared." In practical terms, this means "Would I rather NOT take something and end up needing it, or would I rather take everything and end up NOT needing it?"

Yes.. exactly. Very good advice from all.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

I'm bringing EVERYTHING. This is for MY Green Card. I'm not taking any chances.

Tick tock... flying out it 1 week!

(not a far trip... 1/2 hr... Maui - Oahu.... Interview in Honolulu ... & 4 night mini-vacation with hubby)

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png

Timeline

Yes.. exactly. Very good advice from all.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

I'm bringing EVERYTHING. This is for MY Green Card. I'm not taking any chances.

Tick tock... flying out it 1 week!

(not a far trip... 1/2 hr... Maui - Oahu.... Interview in Honolulu ... & 4 night mini-vacation with hubby)

Good luck on your interview, :thumbs: and have fun! :thumbs:

We were asked to show everything, I meant everything. But we've came prepared and approved on the spot. IO asked the proof of all calls we've made to each other, long distance statements. post mails and most of what they've have on K1 stage.

Evidence after marriage were: hotel and car rental receipts, airline ticket and boarding passes, car title with both our names, wedding invitation, greeting cards addressed to our house, annual theme park tickets, hubbs as life insurance beneficiary, credit cards as co-borrower, dental and medical insurance, joint bank account, photos from wedding, travels and any occassions with friends and families.

Good luck on your interview!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

We were asked to show everything, I meant everything. But we've came prepared and approved on the spot. IO asked the proof of all calls we've made to each other, long distance statements. post mails and most of what they've have on K1 stage.

Evidence after marriage were: hotel and car rental receipts, airline ticket and boarding passes, car title with both our names, wedding invitation, greeting cards addressed to our house, annual theme park tickets, hubbs as life insurance beneficiary, credit cards as co-borrower, dental and medical insurance, joint bank account, photos from wedding, travels and any occassions with friends and families.

Good luck on your interview!

Thanks for sharing,

WOW ... TinTin & Mike, sounds like your AOS IO really grilled you guys. Guess every interview is different, so be prepared, with everything.

Hopefully this post will help others when their turn is up. Each response is most helpful.

star_smile.gif

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png

• 2 weeks later...

I brought everything ever submitted to the UICIS.

I forgot my EAD card, but they never asked for it.

Approved :)

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Congratulations!!

I have my interview in Honolulu next Tuesday....can you please tell me if they asked you any questions?

How long did the interview take?

I have no idea what to expect smile.png

Welcome to the forum.

Check out the Reviews: Embassy/USICS & POE (accessible at the top of the forum page), follow the directions and find out info for Honolulu:

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.