VeeNDee

Toyota & Compliance Letters

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks to a tip from another VJer I called Toyota again and they are indeed issuing compliance letters. I am so happy it's almost like getting a visa approval haha. After 8 months of frustration calling Toyota headquarters in Canada and the US, local dealers here and there, my in-laws trying to figure out what to do, etc etc... They finally changed their policy. I told the lady on the phone she had no idea how happy I was and that I had been ready to swear off Toyota but was super happy now. She said they had recently changed their policy due to a large amount of negative feedback they had been receiving. No kidding! So to all of you who went out and complained kudos and I thank you very much. You saved me hundreds of dollars in import fees!!

For those wondering how to go about getting this compliance letter:

1) Copy down your VIN # (it's about 17 digits long) and be prepared with your address and contact information. I provided both old and new information since I had already moved. They would like a phone number as well.

2) Take a picture of the sticker on the inside of the driver's door - the CMVSS one. Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety standards. Upload it to your computer.

3) Give them a call - Toyota Canada headquarters is 1 (888) 869-6828. For a tip, pressing 1 will pick English and then pressing 4 will transfer you to a customer service representative.

4) Have a chat - make sure to thank them for issuing compliance letters! They will ask if your car has ever been a write-off and check for recalls - my car was fine.

5) When the conversation and information is finished they will get you to email them the picture of the sticker, along with your (to be) assigned case number to compliance@toyota.ca

6) Relax and put your feet up - you will get the compliance letter emailed back to you in 3-4 business days! (At least, I assume - going to take that picture of the sticker and email it today). Woohoo!!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

Btw I phoned the Seattle service port of entry regarding importing my car- he said I'd need to bring ownership papers, the compliance letter, and my passport/visa status and it would only take 10 minutes - but then he threw in a note and doublechecked - at first he said I'd have to wait for my greencard to import but apparently once I have employment authorization I will be good to go. So I can't do the importation for awhile yet. Just an FYI. I had thought I could do the importation right way when POEing at the border, but apparently with a K1 visa they want you to have employment authorization first.

VeeNDee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just went through all this last week... Unfortunately I had a recalled part, but got that all fixed up on monday :)

Thank God, they are doing letters again.... i was stressed out about that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just went through all this last week... Unfortunately I had a recalled part, but got that all fixed up on monday :)

Thank God, they are doing letters again.... i was stressed out about that.

I emailed them the pic of the sticker on Monday after I had the recalled part fixed and I got my emailed letter today....

Edited by Jen and Mikey

Timeline

Glad to hear you got your letter! Woohoo!

VeeNDee

Filed: Timeline

Btw I phoned the Seattle service port of entry regarding importing my car- he said I'd need to bring ownership papers, the compliance letter, and my passport/visa status and it would only take 10 minutes - but then he threw in a note and doublechecked - at first he said I'd have to wait for my greencard to import but apparently once I have employment authorization I will be good to go. So I can't do the importation for awhile yet. Just an FYI. I had thought I could do the importation right way when POEing at the border, but apparently with a K1 visa they want you to have employment authorization first.

He is wrong. The importation is done at POE. Hopefully you get someone who knows what they're doing.

iagree.gif

Timeline

He is wrong. The importation is done at POE. Hopefully you get someone who knows what they're doing.

Since I have already POEd and didn't import my car at that time, is it possible the rules are different for me Krikit?

VeeNDee

Timeline

My brother suggested that since I didn't import my vehicle 'in conjunction with' the POE it has to follow a different procedure. That officer was very sure I had to wait until I had EAD... although he at first said greencard. He went to double check and put me on hold for a few minutes before saying he had checked and said EAD was enough. That seemed odd to me since I'd heard other K1s could import their cars on POE, but since I had already POEd thought maybe mine was more complicated to import... I do still have a valid I-94

VeeNDee

Timeline

No, there's no different procedure. You just need to go to a POE, at some point, to get it done. It just doesn't have to be that particular POE.

A link for you:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/425/kw/vehicle/sno/1

Hmm... If I were to go to that POE I'd probably be out of luck with that officer, unless I brought along some proof I could import it on a K1. The article you linked is great but doesn't mention K1 and he seemed like a real stickler who was also confused. I really don't want to drive to the border since I don't have AP yet and don't want to get stuck in some 1 way line that makes me leave the country by mistake! Ahh!

I don't actually have the compliance letter yet - still waiting on the email. I wonder what I could show him to let him know that I could import it duty-free.

My brother quoted from that site:

"If you imported your vehicle by land, you should have declared the vehicle for import and handled the paperwork at the border."

Maybe that's why. Sadly the officer at my POE didn't believe a K1 visa existed so we didn't even try to import at that time.

VeeNDee

Timeline

Oh my goodness update!

So it's been 8 days since I phoned Toyota and requested that compliance letter and still nothing. So I phoned them today to ask what the holdup was, and they said they had sent out the email the day after I requested it. I said I'd checked my email every day and it wasn't there. They verified it was indeed the correct email address and said they don't issue paper letters via real mail, just emails. They sent in a request to try again.

Meanwhile with the help of my husband I managed to discover the SPAM folder in gmail. Gmail was overly zealous and sent my Toyota compliance letter straight to spam and it didn't even come up as a result when I SEARCHED my email for Toyota or compliance as keywords. GAH! So long story short, if you don't get your compliance letter, you may be able to blame your email spam filter. Sigh. :bonk:

Of course it wouldn't have to be simple for me. But at least it's there!

VeeNDee

• 5 months later...
Timeline

@VeeNDee

Thanks! Your information was spot on -- Toyota does indeed issue compliance letters (as of 2013, it seems). This really saved me a lot of hassle and grief--and money! Cheers.

Glad it could help you - best wishes!

VeeNDee

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@VeeNDee

Thanks! Your information was spot on -- Toyota does indeed issue compliance letters (as of 2013, it seems). This really saved me a lot of hassle and grief--and money! Cheers.

I second this post.....I just received my compliance letter this morning thanks to your posts.....phew !! saved me yet another panic attack lololol :)

07-18-12 - Married
10-26-12 - NOA1 sent
10-29-12 - NOA1 received
03-11-13 - NOA2 approved
04-03-13 - NVC received
04-10-13 - NVC case number assigned
04-19-13 - AOS/IV paid

04-22-13 - AOS/IV cleared

06-07-13 - Case Complete

09-03-13 - Medical

09-25-13 - Interview

10-01-13 - Picked up Visa

10-02-13 - POE Queenston-Lewiston

10-11-13 - SSN arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.