Vuorilla

Application sent to the wrong address

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I thought I would follow up with my situation so that if any future applicant gets in my situation, they will know what to do.

I got my application back in the mail 13 working days after it was received by the center director. Unfortunately, my application was rejected not because I sent it to the wrong address, but because of the amount on the check.. I wrote $240 because I read on this forum that the price had gone down $100 from $340 on April 14th. But I called the USCIS and they told me that the fees were still $340. I am a bit confused about that, but any way, I don't care. I was happy to see that my application had not been lost and that it was being processed! After three weeks without news I was starting to lose hope.

If my check had had the correct amount written on it, I think my application would have been processed even though I sent it directly to a processing center instead of to a lockbox. It would just have been delayed a little bit. I can see that they started working on my application (they stamped a number on each sheet of my documents and placed my photos in an envelope that says "Department of Homeland Security" and on the back of my fiancée's passport-style photo, they wrote "I129F").

So, the moral of the story: be patient! If you made a mistake, it should get corrected over time. Do not send a duplicate application, otherwise you might get in trouble like the story in the link above.

Thanks all for you advice!

I still have another question, but I will start a new thread.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would follow up with my situation so that if any future applicant gets in my situation, they will know what to do.

I got my application back in the mail 13 working days after it was received by the center director. Unfortunately, my application was rejected not because I sent it to the wrong address, but because of the amount on the check.. I wrote $240 because I read on this forum that the price had gone down $100 from $340 on April 14th. But I called the USCIS and they told me that the fees were still $340. I am a bit confused about that, but any way, I don't care. I was happy to see that my application had not been lost and that it was being processed! After three weeks without news I was starting to lose hope.

If my check had had the correct amount written on it, I think my application would have been processed even though I sent it directly to a processing center instead of to a lockbox. It would just have been delayed a little bit. I can see that they started working on my application (they stamped a number on each sheet of my documents and placed my photos in an envelope that says "Department of Homeland Security" and on the back of my fiancée's passport-style photo, they wrote "I129F").

So, the moral of the story: be patient! If you made a mistake, it should get corrected over time. Do not send a duplicate application, otherwise you might get in trouble like the story in the link above.

The I129-F fee is $340. The K1 visa fee has been dropped from $350 to $240 and is paid when the beneficiary goes for their interview.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Hi everyone,

The larger moral of the story is: Read the I-129F instructions and follow them. The payment information, where to send the petition, etc. are some of the most commonly asked questions and are easily found in the instructions document.

Now that you've received the petition back, you should go through the documentation to ensure everything else is in place. :thumbs:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Why are you confused? the PETITION fee never changed. The VISA fee is the one that changed. Nothing confusing if you follow the information.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

Why are you confused? the PETITION fee never changed. The VISA fee is the one that changed. Nothing confusing if you follow the information.

ok.. you are like the third person telling me the same thing. Now I know. And on Monday, I will be sending my application back with the correct amount on the check.

I was confused because I somewhat thought that the K-1 visa fees and the I129F fees were the same.. I knew the fees for the visa (K-1) had gone down to $240, and so I thought that the USCIS had not updated their forms, so that the $340 fee that was advertised on their form was not current anymore.

I was confused, and I am not anymore.

I thought this website was all about supporting each other in this difficult process, had I known that three people would imply that I am stupid or that I do not know how to follow the instructions correctly, I would not have opened up an account on this forum. I got confused, and as far as I know humans make mistakes. I made a mistake and I never complained about it. I just tried to warn other applicants about this pitfall.

Anyways, good luck all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.