RK_and_Inday

Problems Applying for SSN (K1 visa holder)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In short, here's the story: Inday arrived U.S.A. (with K-1 visa) on November 24. On Friday, December 16, Inday and I went to nearest social security office which is a literal one-hour drive from current place of residence. When we went to window and explained that Inday was applying for SSN, the employee there immediatelly dismissed us and tried to turn us away stating "Fiancee visa holders can't apply for SSN." We politely showed him printout we had brought from social security web page (https://secure.ssa.gov) showing Section of RM 10211.420 which stated K-1 visa holders are indeed authorized to work in U.S." His response was to merely look at us doubtfully so I (RK) then read aloud to him the specific parts describing this fact and showed him chart with K-1 listed. I even marked the pertinent parts using yellow highlighter. He seemed still somewhat taken aback, excused himself and we saw him walking back and forth in the back area and heard him say to the only one other employee there at the time "They must be in a meeting." After many minutes he came back to the window, asked for Inday's passport and I-94, went in the back again, said he made a photocopy of her passport, and then spent many minutes working on his computer. Finally, he said, (pointing to admission number on Inday's I-94) that "Inday's A-number shown here is incorrect" so he was going to have to ask us to wait a month for the mistake to be corrected. A short discussion ensued about the difference between A-number and admission number but he just stared blankly at us. I tried asking about the SAVE database, concerned that him trying to do whatever he was doing would convolute the process. He said SAVE database was the problem, Inday was not showing up in there thus there must be some mistake with the A-number. A bit more discussion ensued but he did not provide any help, merely handing us an obvious form letter stating that Inday "applied for Social Security Number on December 16 and before issuing SSN card, the doucuments shown must be verified and that this may take up to 4 weeks."

Inday and I left somewhat discouraged, and an hour or two later tried calling the office to try to reach the one other employee there but merely got a recorded message that allowed only options that sent one to other recorded messages, none of which allowed leaving a message to ask for help.

Punchline: Inday and I are somewhat confused about what to do at this point. Wait 4 weeks as stated in letter? Go back to office (an hour drive!) and hope someone else is there? Other?

Question: Does anyone have any advice about what Inday should do in order to assure timely procurement of SSN? Thank you.

--RK and Inday

Edited by RK_and_Inday

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Op - different folks will tell you differently at any government office. I would advice you go back and try to speak to another person. If that doen't work, ask to speak to supervisor. The k-1 holder is eligible for SSN.

In short, here's the story: Inday arrived U.S.A. (with K-1 visa) on November 24. On Friday, December 16, Inday and I went to nearest social security office which is a literal one-hour drive from current place of residence. When we went to window and explained that Inday was applying for SSN, the employee there immediatelly dismissed us and tried to turn us away stating "Fiancee visa holders can't apply for SSN." We politely showed him printout we had brought from social security web page (https://secure.ssa.gov) showing Section of RM 10211.420 which stated K-1 visa holders are indeed authorized to work in U.S." His response was to merely look at us doubtfully so I (RK) then read aloud to him the specific parts describing this fact and showed him chart with K-1 listed. I even marked the pertinent parts using yellow highlighter. He seemed still somewhat taken aback, excused himself and we saw him walking back and forth in the back area and heard him say to the only one other employee there at the time "They must be in a meeting." After many minutes he came back to the window, asked for Inday's passport and I-94, went in the back again, said he made a photocopy of her passport, and then spent many minutes working on his computer. Finally, he said, (pointing to admission number on Inday's I-94) that "Inday's A-number shown here is incorrect" so he was going to have to ask us to wait a month for the mistake to be corrected. A short discussion ensued about the difference between A-number and admission number but he just stared blankly at us. I tried asking about the SAVE database, concerned that him trying to do whatever he was doing would convolute the process. He said SAVE database was the problem, Inday was not showing up in there thus there must be some mistake with the A-number. A bit more discussion ensued but he did not provide any help, merely handing us an obvious form letter stating that Inday "applied for Social Security Number on December 16 and before issuing SSN card, the doucuments shown must be verified and that this may take up to 4 weeks."

Inday and I left somewhat discouraged, and an hour or two later tried calling the office to try to reach the one other employee there but merely got a recorded message that allowed only options that sent one to other recorded messages, none of which allowed leaving a message to ask for help.

Punchline: Inday and I are somewhat confused about what to do at this point. Wait 4 weeks as stated in letter? Go back to office (an hour drive!) and hope someone else is there? Other?

Question: Does anyone have any advice about what Inday should do in order to assure timely procurement of SSN? Thank you.

--RK and Inday

Seems that civil servant does not know anything. Is there another SSA office you can go?

If not, go back and get directly to a supervisor. As my dad would say, don't waste time with the clowns and get directly to the owner of the circus.

K-1 re entitled to SSN and cards. It seems there is enough time lapse to get the information to SSA systems. We got ours (fiancee) after marriage so her card comes in her new married name. No problems, no issues other than the really hard/unusual spelling of maiden name and parents names.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't wait 4 weeks. If you wait 4 weeks they will make up more storys and you will have no SSN until after you get the green card and try again.

Go back in and speak to someone again like jac says or keep calling and speak to someone.

We called every few days asking about it and no one knew anything until week 4 when the person said " oh the request has never even been sent in about your SSN " headbonk.gif

The person on the phone spoke to me for a while took some information from me and my card arrived about 3 days later. The notice inside with the card had the date I called them, no mention of the date I actually applied for the card anywhere.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

@all: Thank you for responses and helpful advice suggestions.

@jac_chappin: Thank you for recommendation to talk with another person or supervisor. At the time we went, the office seemed to have only one other person available plus Inday and I did not think to ask for a supervisor. Thank you.

@Gosia and Tito: Yes, thought of seeing if there is another SSA office (where we went, one hour away was listed as the closest to town where we reside) I very much like your dad's circus adage/saying! Thank you. You mentioned getting card after marriage. Inday and I were following VJ K-1 guide to go to SSA office to apply a couple weeks after POE and then go again after marriage. What is the reason for going twice (as described in the guide?)

Inky: Oh, good point to keep checking/calling/going back. Yes, if the civil servant we dealt with was not helpful in the first place and seemingly lacking some knowledge, why ever would we assume that he properly did any necessary follow-up? OK, we will keep diligently pursuing.

--RK and Inday

K-1
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

Yup...Either talk to a supervisor or go to another office...maybe an office in a larger city where they may be more used to handling K-1ers.

Timeline

@Tahoma: Thanks for chiming in. Like the bigger city idea. Have located three other offices, each about one hour away from current place of residence. One of these offices is indeed in a larger city. --RK and Inday

Edited by RK_and_Inday

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Posting the outcome, in case is of any use to anyone in the future and, of course, to say thanks again for all the good advice. We decided not to return to the same small city SS office (where we went December 16). Instead, about mid-January we went to large SS office in large metropolitan city about two hours away. The wait was longer but the person we spoke to had obviously better knowledge of all, and was more responsive to our inquiries, dialoguing. In short, however, she found record on computer of initial SS employee's entry/submission and said it was likely we would receive Inday's SS card in a couple weeks. We left office satisfied. SS card was actually delivered near end of February, about two and half months after initial application.

Lesson learned: Be knowledgeable about system and be prepared for unknowledgeable personnel. In case of difficulties, stand your ground literally and figuratively, insist on seeing/speaking with supervisor. In retrospect, we (RK,Inday) realized we had been cowed by authority at the first office: instead, we should have stood our ground at the first office and spoke with supervisor or just refused to leave*** until got satisfactory response.

--RK and Inday

***The technique of refusing to leave seems to work: For example, at the beginning of January, we (Inday/RK) moved to new apartment and a city desk worker at utility company forcefully refused to turn on utilities at new residence unless Inday could provide her (then non-existent) Social Security number even though we politely explained this was pending. City employee said "we don't accept pending." and "a SS number is required for all residents of domicile...no exceptions" So, we (Inday/RK) simply refused to leave the office and just stood there at clerk's window/desk, basically staring her down, until city employee gave in about five to ten minutes later. We would have stood our ground even if it had taken hours. -rkt

K-1

AOS

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.