mspain

AOS Interview/ Translator

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

I'm a little nervous about AOS for my husband. We have our interview in two weeks. My husband is learning English and can answer basic questions. We speak Spanish together. Can I translate for him at the interview?

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Nope, typically in these cases will need a third party translator at the interview.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I'm a little nervous about AOS for my husband. We have our interview in two weeks. My husband is learning English and can answer basic questions. We speak Spanish together. Can I translate for him at the interview?

Unfortunately not, but why are you so nervous about the AOS? Do you think he won't remember the figures or something? Just keep practicing everything! :thumbs:

Some spouses have been allowed to translate for their spouse, but I wouldn't depend on them being okay with it. It depends if they want to see how you communicate (then yes, they wouldn't mind you translating for him) or if they think you are lying and changing his answers (then no, they would want a third party). I would guess they have a spanish translator on hand at the office; you may want to inquire via infopaass. If you think he can answer basic questions, maybe try to do it without finding a translator. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you have a friend or family member that speaks spanish ask them to come with you. While someone in the office MIGHT speak the language I don't know if they'd be okay with pulling a staff member off their job because you didn't bring a translator.. and I thought they mentioned something about a translator on the interview letter.. could be wrong.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

They did mention a translator, but due to our situation, we think it might not work out well. My husband is orignally from Morocco and has only been speaking Spanish for about 4-5 years and it's not perfect. He also has no formal background in Spanish as he learned it all from living in Spain. We have no problem communicating, but I sometimes catch myself saying things incorrectly because that's how he will say them in Spanish.

The differences between Latin American and Peninsular Spanish are also an issue. For example, since living in the US, we signed him up for driver's ed en espanol. The lady who taught the class was from Cuba and the words and accents were very different for him. He ended up failing the driver's ed class in Spanish, but we later took it in English where I translated for him (without cheating) and he made a 96 on the test.

I guess I'm nervous that if he gets someone to speak Spanish for him, that there may be some kind of misunderstanding due to regional differences. There's even a language barrier between Moroccan Arabic and standard Arabic. We don't know anyone who would be willing to take off time from work to travel an hour away to go to the interview with us. Is it unreasonable to feel nervous in this situation?

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.