Cullen

Long overstay, kids, marriage, AOS

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Estonia
Timeline

Hi to all from newbie!

Me and my wife just filed for AOS, but have some fears because of her overstay.

Here's a story:

She entered US as a tourist, legally in 2003 and her visa/i-94 has expired long tome ago , seven years out of status. I met her in 2004 and we started dating and fell in love, but we couldn't get married because I wasn't USC at that time and she was out of status, but we didn't want to get separated, so she stayed and two years ago we had our twins. I received citizenship three months ago and we got married right away and applied for AOS. Will she receive permanent residence? Our marriage is bona fide, we live together for a long time and have two years old twins born in US. Will we be in trouble? Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi to all from newbie!

Me and my wife just filed for AOS, but have some fears because of her overstay.

Here's a story:

She entered US as a tourist, legally in 2003 and her visa/i-94 has expired long tome ago , seven years out of status. I met her in 2004 and we started dating and fell in love, but we couldn't get married because I wasn't USC at that time and she was out of status, but we didn't want to get separated, so she stayed and two years ago we had our twins. I received citizenship three months ago and we got married right away and applied for AOS. Will she receive permanent residence? Our marriage is bona fide, we live together for a long time and have two years old twins born in US. Will we be in trouble? Thanks!

She will not be denied because of the overstay itself, that's forgiven on a successful AOS through marriage to a USC. You will need to show proof of a bonafide relationship, and you WILL have an interview.

If she's denied and deported she would face a 10 year ban as overstaying past 365 days means a 10 year ban (after 180 and less than 365 = 3 year ban).

I trust you filed an I-130 as well as the I-485?.. I only ask because of the recent person that said they didnt and he was locked up and facing deportation.

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to "Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas" as you are adjusting from a tourist visa and the prior forum is for K1, K2, K3 & K4**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You should file for AOS as soon as possible. But :guides: carefully and make sure you file everything correctly. There are a lot of users here who overstayed and they got approved (I am one of them). As long as you have a bona fide marriage there shouldn't be any problems. Good luck!

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Thanks both of you! Yes, we filed i130 and i-485 concurrently. Will a fact that we have kids, somehow affect this case in a good or bad way?

As for me I think kids are a great sign of bona fide marraige but recently more and more people say that USCIS doesn't care about it.

The most important is living and financial sharing within couple.

If you are together for such a long time and you know each other very well, there is nothing that can be on your way! Even if she will get deported there are millions of ways to remove ban because you have kids. But it's the worst case. I'm sure you will be fine!! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As for me I think kids are a great sign of bona fide marraige but recently more and more people say that USCIS doesn't care about it.

The most important is living and financial sharing within couple.

If you are together for such a long time and you know each other very well, there is nothing that can be on your way! Even if she will get deported there are millions of ways to remove ban because you have kids. But it's the worst case. I'm sure you will be fine!! :thumbs:

Actually having children has NO effect on a ban (not for overstaying at least and I can't think of any else that they would affect). I don't know why you think it would. The child if born USC's would be able to stay in the US. Separation from one of their parents isn't considered a large enough hardship as they COULD go with the deported parent and come back. Their other parent could keep them in the Us. The other parent could move to the intending immigrants home country WITH the kids.

Kids aren't a sign of a bonafide marriage (they don't hurt and they don't help) because otherwise anyone could get pregnant to anyone and "bam" get a GC. It just doesn't work like that, and I'll say fortunately because I wouldn't want people to think that having kids in a non-loving relationship is a good way to get a greencard...

Basically you will need proof of co-mingling assets and the joining of your life. Stuff like lease/mortgage/title in joint names, bills, phone in both names, letters and cards address to both of you, photos... all sorts of things.

Timeline

Actually having children has NO effect on a ban (not for overstaying at least and I can't think of any else that they would affect). I don't know why you think it would. The child if born USC's would be able to stay in the US. Separation from one of their parents isn't considered a large enough hardship as they COULD go with the deported parent and come back. Their other parent could keep them in the Us. The other parent could move to the intending immigrants home country WITH the kids.

Kids aren't a sign of a bonafide marriage (they don't hurt and they don't help) because otherwise anyone could get pregnant to anyone and "bam" get a GC. It just doesn't work like that, and I'll say fortunately because I wouldn't want people to think that having kids in a non-loving relationship is a good way to get a greencard...

Basically you will need proof of co-mingling assets and the joining of your life. Stuff like lease/mortgage/title in joint names, bills, phone in both names, letters and cards address to both of you, photos... all sorts of things.

Yes, he would be able to apply for hardship as he has twins and they are 2 years old. They can't be without a mother. I've never heard anyone rejected with such young kids. I'm not saying she won't receive a ban, I'm saying she will be able to remove it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Yes, he would be able to apply for hardship as he has twins and they are 2 years old. They can't be without a mother. I've never heard anyone rejected with such young kids. I'm not saying she won't receive a ban, I'm saying she will be able to remove it.

There is no waiver for having kids or for separation. If the mother, in this hypothetical situation, were to be deported, then she could take the young kids with her. Or the USC father can keep them in the U.S. Or they can all leave the U.S. None of this is considered to be a 'hardship.' Having a kid doesn't entitle you to any sort of immigration benefit and IMO, that's how it should be.

As far as USCIS is concerned, having a kid means that you had sex one time and 'bore the fruit of that union' so to speak. That is about it. If that's all that was required, how many people would be willing to churn out kids (protection-less sex with a USC) in order to get a GC, do ya think?

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

OP, as long as you file the paperwork correctly and there are no other adverse factors against your wife (using someone else's SSN, false claim of USC) you should be fine.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Your story is straightforward, and so will be your AOS case. I don't see any problems whatsoever on the horizon, and the kids are great proof of a "real" marriage.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your story is straightforward, and so will be your AOS case. I don't see any problems whatsoever on the horizon, and the kids are great proof of a "real" marriage.

This :)

I adjusted with a long overstay just fine. Just gather the needed items, and you should be fine :)

Good Luck!

/starburst :star:

AOS Short Version:

06/26/09 - Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox!

07/07/09 - NOA's Arrive for AP, AOS & EAD [dated 07/01/09]

07/17/09 - Biometrics Completed [ Completed in 17 Days ]

08/12/09 - EAD APPROVED! Card Ordered! [Approved in 47 Days]

08/20/09 - Interview notice arrived dated 08/18/09 - Sept 24th/09

08/21/09 - Got EAD Card in the mail!! :D

09/24/09 - Interview Date: 9:00am - APPROVED

10/03/09 -Received GC!!!!!

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval : 86 Days

ROC:

04/01/11 - Preparing for ROC currently

06/27/11 - ROC Mailed!

07/02/11 - NOA1 Arrived [dated 06/30/11]

07/13/11 - Biometrics letter arrived [08/01/11]

10/31/11 - Final Approval!

11/04/11 - Received new card today.

Total Days from NOA1 to Approval: 125 Days

Next Step will be citizenship in June 2012!

Timeline

There is no waiver for having kids or for separation. If the mother, in this hypothetical situation, were to be deported, then she could take the young kids with her. Or the USC father can keep them in the U.S. Or they can all leave the U.S. None of this is considered to be a 'hardship.' Having a kid doesn't entitle you to any sort of immigration benefit and IMO, that's how it should be.

As far as USCIS is concerned, having a kid means that you had sex one time and 'bore the fruit of that union' so to speak. That is about it. If that's all that was required, how many people would be willing to churn out kids (protection-less sex with a USC) in order to get a GC, do ya think?

First of all, USA is not India and here children are on the first place and their interests will be the most important factor for the judge.

Nobody is saying that having a child will grand you a GC, the point is that it is definitely a plus.

There is no exact list of hardships. Anything can be used as long as you can prove it!

FYI

Extreme hardship can be demonstrated in many aspects of the qualifying relative’s life such as:

* HEALTH - Ongoing or specialized treatment requirements for a physical or mental condition; availability and quality of such treatment in the applicant’s country, anticipated duration of the treatment; whether a condition is chronic or acute, or long-or short-term.

* FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS - Future employability; loss due to sale of home or business or termination of a professional practice; decline in standard of living; ability to recoup short-term losses; cost of extraordinary needs such as special education or training for children; cost of care for family members (i.e., elderly and infirm parents).

* EDUCATION - Loss of opportunity for higher education; lower quality or limited scope of education options; disruption of current program; requirement to be educated in a foreign language or culture with ensuing loss of time for grade; availability of special requirements, such as training programs or internships in specific fields.

* PERSONAL CONSIDERATIONS - Close relatives in the United States and /or the applicant’s country; separation from spouse/children; ages of involved parties; length of residence and community ties in the United States.

* SPECIAL FACTORS - Cultural, language, religious, and ethnic obstacles; valid fears of persecution, physical harm, or injury; social ostracism or stigma; access to social institutions or structures.

* Any other situation that the applicant feels may help meet the burden of extreme hardship.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Estonia
Timeline

Thanks a lot guys for information and advises! Alla, big thanks to you-your posts are very hepful and very informative! I have one more question. My wife didn't use fake ss#, didn't worked illigally, but she did watch one family's kids occasionally for some period of time and they paid her. Do we have to mention this on interview if they'll ask her if she worked while being out of status?

Timeline

Thanks a lot guys for information and advises! Alla, big thanks to you-your posts are very hepful and very informative! I have one more question. My wife didn't use fake ss#, didn't worked illigally, but she did watch one family's kids occasionally for some period of time and they paid her. Do we have to mention this on interview if they'll ask her if she worked while being out of status?

If she is babysitting along with her own children and not more than one other family than it wouldn't be a problem.

In other case your state may require a babysitting license and also she needed to pay taxes.

But in both cases she will be forgiven because you are a citizen! But you should mention it and explain if they ask.

I wish you all the best and don't worry!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
My wife didn't use fake ss#, didn't worked illigally, but she did watch one family's kids occasionally for some period of time and they paid her. Do we have to mention this on interview if they'll ask her if she worked while being out of status?

Technically if she was paid for babysitting, she worked illegally. However...American teenagers do it all the time, so I would keep quiet about it if it were me.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.