sridhy_ny

IR-1 Visa Validity related question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

Planning to send Packet 3.0 shortly. Assuming, interview process goes fine and I heard they will issue IR-1 visa on the same day or in 3 to 4 days from the date of interview in Mumbai, India. However, I don't have plan to travel till March 31st, 2011. So, If IR-1 visa is granted, then for howlong it will be valid ? If the date expires, can I renew that again ? If yes, what is the procedure ?

Note : My wife is carrying and I don't want the interview later (i.e near pregnancy date or after that ). Am ok to renew with additional $400 if that is possible.

Thanks

Sridhar

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Really? March 2011? WOW.

You have some slush time - no need to send in that P3 immediately.

You can hold off on it. Suggest 4 months before sending it off.

AND

Once you get 'interview date set' - you can request an interview for March,2011.

The bad part, is that the police certificates and the medical exam will need to be redone (I'm guessing you've not done the medical yet, right? )

Good Luck !

and...

The VISA STAMP in the passport has a validity of 6 months. But - Once the foreign spouse crosses into a USA POE, the new timetick starts for the Green Card, itself, AND there is I-551 stamp put in the passport, that validates the VISA STAMP to be used as a temporary green card, for a year from POE date.

So, if you DON'T want to delay the interview for March, 2011, and let it all take its natural course -

Then after the VISA is granted - go to the USA together, get the stamp at POE, then turn around and return to India. Be wary though - after the first POE date, you will get 'looked at, hard' if yer out of the USA for more than 6 months.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

IR-1s are valid for 6 months to travel.

So hold off on the paperwork for now.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Really? March 2011? WOW.

You have some slush time - no need to send in that P3 immediately.

You can hold off on it. Suggest 4 months before sending it off.

AND

Once you get 'interview date set' - you can request an interview for March,2011.

The bad part, is that the police certificates and the medical exam will need to be redone (I'm guessing you've not done the medical yet, right? )

Good Luck !

and...

The VISA STAMP in the passport has a validity of 6 months. But - Once the foreign spouse crosses into a USA POE, the new timetick starts for the Green Card, itself, AND there is I-551 stamp put in the passport, that validates the VISA STAMP to be used as a temporary green card, for a year from POE date.

So, if you DON'T want to delay the interview for March, 2011, and let it all take its natural course -

Then after the VISA is granted - go to the USA together, get the stamp at POE, then turn around and return to India. Be wary though - after the first POE date, you will get 'looked at, hard' if yer out of the USA for more than 6 months.

Thanks for your reply.

Initially I thought of delaying the interview process by holding Packet 3 with me for another 4 months. But,my wife's expected due date will be around Sep 15th. I don't think she will be able to perform medical/interview process for another 3 months. Already, I've applied for police certificates for her and we got them. They will expire by Jan 10th, 2011. I filed IR-1 visa in New Delhi on Jan 4th, 2010. I heard, if we don't respond to pakcet 3.0 in 1 year's time, the application may be cancelled. So, I thought of asking my wife to attend the interview and take the IR-1 visa. After, 6 months, ask for renewal of that visa at Mumbai Consulate with additional fee of 16,000 INR.

So, is is really possible to extend the expiry date ?

Thanks

Sridhar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is not normally possible to extend the visa, though with your wife being pregnant, they may allow it. It would probably be easier for her to do the medical after she gives birth anyway though (in case vaccinations are needed), which would also suit your plans.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 11 months later...

Really? March 2011? WOW.

Hi,

We are thinking about immigrating to the US with my wife but there are other possibility up in the air as well so I am trying to understand how "flexible" this process can be.

Looking on how this process cost around ~$800 I would rather not do it and have it expires on us while we are waiting to see if other possibility arise.

I understand once you get your VISA STAMP at the end of the DCF process it is valid six month. However, I am a little unclear on what happens once you get to the US and receive I-551 while waiting for your green card.

What if we decided to stay where we are for another year, could we wait 5month+ to go to the US, get the I-551 on our passport then go back to our country a week later? Then we might stay another 6 month+ and finally move to the US? Is that a possibility? Is there any official text on the validity/duration of the I-551? Do you require a re-entry permit? I thought I read somewhere you could be out of the US for up to 2 years with a re-entry permit in this case?

And of course, the tricky question, when do you have to start filling tax for the IRS? At the moment I am a NRA (Non-Resident Alien) under my wife tax paper but in the scenario above when would I need to start filling tax? Once I get the VISA STAMP or the I-551 or only when we actually "move" to the US?

Thanks a lot for your help!

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):

Jun 27, 2011 - sent in I-130 package to the London Consulate (DCF)

Jun 29, 2011 - I-130 package received at London Consulate (Signed For)

Jul 6, 2011 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) by email

Jul 6, 2011 - I-130 payment charged on credit card

Sep 22, 2011 - I-130 approval issued

Sep 27, 2011 - I-130 approval hard copy received

Sep 30, 2011 - Case number received

HOLD

- Medical Scheduled

- Medical Completed

- DS-230I & DS-2001 forms sent back

- DS-230I & DS-2001 forms received at London Consulate

- Interview letter received

- Interview date - APPROVED!!!

- Visa received

- POE: ???

- Social Security Card received

- 2-Year Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.