14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

When my fiancée last entered the (tourist Visa) US in November she was stopped and questioned by immigration. It was her third visit here in a year. She had previously stayed her for between a week and two months. The immigration agent saw things that gave him the impression she was thinking of getting married on the trip. He saw her engagement ring, pictures from her engagement party when we got engaged ect. By sheer luck the agent let her go through but marked her I-94 with no AOS on the front and on the back only approved her for a 60 day stay and marked it no maos, no cos, eos. He told her not to get married on this trip. She stayed for the 60 days and when she was due to leave she didn’t go home. We thought that she would not be allowed to come back in and we panicked. After three and a half months we decided to just get married at the last minute. That was two weeks ago. We then saw an immigration attorney who said we may not have that big a problem. He said that because she was here over 90 days before we decided to get married it shows that she did not come here with the intent to get married (we did not plan to get married on this visit even though we were engaged) and as long as she does not overstay more than 180 days she is not in jeopardy of loosing her ability to AOS. He also said that the no AOS, COS, ect does not really mean anything because they should not have let her in if they thought she was committing visa fraud. Since they granted her entrance we are OK. Also that they can not tell someone that they can not get married. He said that it was just luck that they let her in. We are planning to file a AOS and all the accompanying paperwork. Does this seem plausible? Can we file for an adjustment of status as she entered the country as my fiancée but merely to visit, overstayed because she panicked that we would not be able to see each other again for a long time, and then just decided to spontaneously get married? I hope this is a realistic plan. Any ideas or suggestions are really welcome. We have been together almost 2 years and have visited each other 7 or 8 times so there is TONS of evidence of a real relationship.

This isn't the first time I have heard of a CBP officer making notations like the ones you describe on someones I-94 or on their entrance stamp. Because of this, I would assume that they are somehow trained to do this, and that it must have an effect.

If nothing else, the officer has put a big huge red flag on her I-94, letting the AOS adjudicator know that he suspected intent, but that your fiancee told him that it was not the purpose of her trip to stay. Since she did overstay AND apply for AOS - a reasonable person might also assume that she lied, which is not a conclusion you want them to draw!

As she entered in November, and was given a stay of 60 days, she has not accrued more than 180 days of over stay, and therefore does not have a ban. She could return home, and come back with a CR-1 visa if you have any doubts.

Alternatively, you could seek out a second (third, fourth) opinion from another immigration attorney.

Also, this is the forum for adjustment from family based visas. All of us here got a visa for immigrating and are AOSing from that, you may find a completely different perspective in the AOS from other visas (including tourist) just below this one. I don't say this to make you feel unwelcome, but to let you know the bias of the answers you are likely to receive here.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

That "NO EOS/AOS/COS" (No extension of status/adjustment of status/continuation of status) on her I-94 shows that the CBP officer suspected that she might try and do something like this. Which you two just did.

IMO, it's a bad, BAD idea to try and AOS (I don't even know if it would be succesful with that stamped on her I-94). A lifetime ban for misrepresentation is not something you should take lightly.

However, you could always try applying for AOS, especially if your attorney thinks its possible.

Come back and let us know how it went, ya?

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

When my fiancée last entered the (tourist Visa) US in November she was stopped and questioned by immigration. It was her third visit here in a year. She had previously stayed her for between a week and two months. The immigration agent saw things that gave him the impression she was thinking of getting married on the trip. He saw her engagement ring, pictures from her engagement party when we got engaged ect. By sheer luck the agent let her go through but marked her I-94 with no AOS on the front and on the back only approved her for a 60 day stay and marked it no maos, no cos, eos. He told her not to get married on this trip. She stayed for the 60 days and when she was due to leave she didn’t go home. We thought that she would not be allowed to come back in and we panicked. After three and a half months we decided to just get married at the last minute. That was two weeks ago. We then saw an immigration attorney who said we may not have that big a problem. He said that because she was here over 90 days before we decided to get married it shows that she did not come here with the intent to get married (we did not plan to get married on this visit even though we were engaged) and as long as she does not overstay more than 180 days she is not in jeopardy of loosing her ability to AOS. He also said that the no AOS, COS, ect does not really mean anything because they should not have let her in if they thought she was committing visa fraud. Since they granted her entrance we are OK. Also that they can not tell someone that they can not get married. He said that it was just luck that they let her in. We are planning to file a AOS and all the accompanying paperwork. Does this seem plausible? Can we file for an adjustment of status as she entered the country as my fiancée but merely to visit, overstayed because she panicked that we would not be able to see each other again for a long time, and then just decided to spontaneously get married? I hope this is a realistic plan. Any ideas or suggestions are really welcome. We have been together almost 2 years and have visited each other 7 or 8 times so there is TONS of evidence of a real relationship.

Why would you purposefully violate the terms of the visa? Anyway, whatever the lawyer says may or may not be true. You may or may not be allowed to AOS. Just have a backup plan in place in case she is denied the GC and given a ban for a number of years for her overstay of the visa. Definately an immigration lawyer is required for this case. Good luck.

(Personally, yes this is visa fraud, clear and simple, but you may be able to wiggle out of it.)

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Such annotations by CBP on the I-94 carry no legal weight. There is no statute that prohibits you from adjusting status due to that annotation. Adjustment of status will not be denied based on that annotation.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Such annotations by CBP on the I-94 carry no legal weight. There is no statute that prohibits you from adjusting status due to that annotation. Adjustment of status will not be denied based on that annotation.

Correct good.gif

The annotation is not binding to USCIS. However, it could cause USCIS to look more closely at the application, so the OP should be prepared to answer any questions that arise due to this.

As long as there is no "misrepresentation" found (fraud), then no issues.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I dont understand the statement below from your attorney:

"He said that because she was here over 90 days before we decided to get married it shows that she did not come here with the intent to get married"

The length of time has no bearing and shows no proof that there was not intent.

You could have decided and then just waited. See what I'm saying.

Intent is open to interpretation and argument. A good "prosecutor" would eat that up for lunch. Because you are married the burden would be on you to prove that there was not intent and that could be a difficult task.

Anyway - I hope things work out for you.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

I dont understand the statement below from your attorney:

"He said that because she was here over 90 days before we decided to get married it shows that she did not come here with the intent to get married"

The length of time has no bearing and shows no proof that there was not intent.

You could have decided and then just waited. See what I'm saying.

Intent is open to interpretation and argument. A good "prosecutor" would eat that up for lunch. Because you are married the burden would be on you to prove that there was not intent and that could be a difficult task.

Anyway - I hope things work out for you.

There is a lot of talk about the 30/60/90 rule.

If you aos within the 30 days of entry, fraud is presumed and the AOS is denied.

If you aos between the 30/60 days, the presumption of fraud can be overcome, basically, you can rebut it.

If you aos 90+ days after entry, there is no presumption of fraud.

Strangly - I could find no reference to it on the USCIS site nor can I find it in the USC code - I see some lawyers recommending it though.

However, coming to the US with the intent to marry cannot be held against you, and there is case law backing this up. As long as you do not have a bunch of adverse factors going against you, it will not hurt you to get married 30 days or 60 days of entry.

Will USCIS look more closely at your AOS if you do this, most likely, but I haven't seen it as a trend in my research.

With that said, if you come here on the VWP, you should AOS before the I-94 expires, because there is precident where the person filed AOS after the I-94 expired and was sent home. (it's built in to the VWP that you cannot contest the removal).

That case had very specific problems with it, but the feeling I got from it was the "no contest" rule trumps AOS rules - so don't risk it.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I take back my comments about this being visa fraud. That is not correct.

What you have done is a violation of the visa terms.

You need to send in a copy of the front and back side of your I-94 when you apply for AOS. It will be during this review that any "issues" (regardless of whether or not the CBP's annotations hold weight)come to light..

You WILL have a lot of explaining to do.....

and saying you were afraid will most likely not be a good excuse.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Other Timeline

If asked at the POE whether or not the visitor plans to adjust status, and she responds with "no," and gets a "No AOS" remark in her passport to me, clearly and without the shadow of a doubt, is a documentation of misrepresentation when trying to adjust status nonetheless during that very visit.

As the I.O. looking at the AOS file, I would presume that the petitioner declared at the POE that she wouldn't attempt to adjust status, when questioned about it. If she does adjust, she lied at the POE.

My two cents.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

Yes bro, go ahead and file that, DO NOT STAY a part, waiting is so pointless and hurts really bad. Be with her in the country and you can always overcome all the problems together! If i had a chance i would do it

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you very much for your answers. So to be sure I have this correct, it is best to AOS before the I-94 expires. If she was given 60 days to stay on the I-94 then didn’t it already expire? Or is the I-94 good for 180 days anyway even if the writing sais 60 days? My wife has been here 120 days exactly so if we apply for AOS now we would be ok I believe. At what point does the clock stop on the 180 Days? Is it when the application is excepted or at some other point in the process? I can’t imagine we would be able to fully complete the AOS by 60 days from now. What is the point we need to get to be sure not to have a ban for overstay?

A ban is triggered when she leaves the US after staying beyond 180 days from her legally permitted stay. So if she was given 60 days, then if she leaves after 60+180=240 days from entry, she will trigger a ban. There is a longer ban if she stays for a year over.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Thank you very much for your answers. So to be sure I have this correct, it is best to AOS before the I-94 expires. If she was given 60 days to stay on the I-94 then didn’t it already expire? Or is the I-94 good for 180 days anyway even if the writing sais 60 days? My wife has been here 120 days exactly so if we apply for AOS now we would be ok I believe. At what point does the clock stop on the 180 Days? Is it when the application is excepted or at some other point in the process? I can’t imagine we would be able to fully complete the AOS by 60 days from now. What is the point we need to get to be sure not to have a ban for overstay?

Overstay days stop with the receipt of the I-485.

If the I-485 is received before the I-94 expires, no overstay is accrued. If the adjustment of status is subsequently denied, you will be given time to leave the country before unauthorized stay begins adding overstay days again.

If the I-485 is received after the I-94 expires, overstay days will stop accruing when it is received. However, if the adjustment of status is subsequently denied, the overstay will revert back to the expiration of the I-94 which may trigger a ban on exit that would not have accrued if you had left the U.S. rather than filing for adjustment.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.