hbk8941

requirements to get marry in the philippines

31 posts in this topic

hi i am a us citizen and want to marry my fiancee in the philippines what are the documents and requirements to get married in the philippines? do i need to go there twice to receive all my requirements needed

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need a legal capacity to marry from the US embassy in manila. If you a civil wedding you can probably get it done in one trip. the marriage license takes about 10 days to get once applied for. If you do the catholic wedding like we did, you need a month because you will have to attend a seminar at the church in most cases and at least in baliuag, it was only basically given once a month...(2 separate sundays for parts one and 2) If you have been married before bring your divorce decree as you will need it at the embassy and to apply for the marriage license. I was able to do it all in less than 26 days....I arrived on 8 august and was married on 29 august. There was quite a bit of running around to do. I suggest you have your fiancee talk to her municiple hall to see if there is any other surprizes there too...they might be able to help you along too.

Here is a helpful link to read:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha009.html

If you have any specific questions, I might be able to help you some. I am in the military too, dont know if you are also.

Another thing, you will have to change your visa to a CR-1

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Bring your passport, and if you have been married before, bring the divorce papers.

You have to go to the US embassy in manila (its where I went) And go early, be there at 8am. You get a legal capacity to marry , its just a stamped paper saying you swear you arent married.

Then we went to another building, I forget what it was , but they tell where you to go, and finished it there.

Watch out for fixers or anyone walking inside the buildings that claim to want to help you, its a scam

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

yeah that affidavit is like $30 US...it doesnt take very long. i think i went at about 830 and was out in about an hour. when i did it in august you went to one window to submit your information and another one to sign the affidavit.

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

I did forget...you will have to go to another room to pay the bill for the affidavit, but they will tell you where to go and there will be no doubt other americans that will be doing the same. The guards are helpful too. You realize what a small world it is when you go to an embassy in a foreign country. I am stationed in alaska near fairbanks....i met a guy stationed in anchorage...(about 7 hours from me in alaska)

For our Full timeline

event.png

hi i am a us citizen and want to marry my fiancee in the philippines what are the documents and requirements to get married in the philippines? do i need to go there twice to receive all my requirements needed

if i may add your fiancee needs to get a CENOMAR (cert of non marriage) from NSO also :thumbs:

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
You will need a legal capacity to marry from the US embassy in manila. If you a civil wedding you can probably get it done in one trip. the marriage license takes about 10 days to get once applied for. If you do the catholic wedding like we did, you need a month because you will have to attend a seminar at the church in most cases and at least in baliuag, it was only basically given once a month...(2 separate sundays for parts one and 2) If you have been married before bring your divorce decree as you will need it at the embassy and to apply for the marriage license. I was able to do it all in less than 26 days....I arrived on 8 august and was married on 29 august. There was quite a bit of running around to do. I suggest you have your fiancee talk to her municiple hall to see if there is any other surprizes there too...they might be able to help you along too.

If you have any specific questions, I might be able to help you some. I am in the military too, dont know if you are also.

Timeline

hi!can my fiance get the "legal capacity to marry" from the USA before coming over so we will no longer go to the US Embassy in Manila?Thank you!

Timeline

will it be possible for us to be married in a civil ceremony(city hall) in a week time?my fiance plans on a week stay only.just wondering if its possible we get things done in a week time assuming all papers are ready before that week.Thanks !

hi!can my fiance get the "legal capacity to marry" from the USA before coming over so we will no longer go to the US Embassy in Manila?Thank you!

NO, it has to be done at the embassy in manila as there is no way to track marriages in the US. Please read this link fully http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha009.html

will it be possible for us to be married in a civil ceremony(city hall) in a week time?my fiance plans on a week stay only.just wondering if its possible we get things done in a week time assuming all papers are ready before that week.Thanks !

Well, the wait for the marriage license is like 10 days...(working days...2 weeks). Unless you know someone that can push the process along on the inside..no it cannot be done in a week.

For our Full timeline

event.png

I am thinking there is a 21 day requirment to be in the counrty be for you can get a church wedding...

As well as posting notices and attending counseling sessions...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

You need-

Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage from either Embassy in Manila or Cebu (got mine in Cebu)

CENOMAR for her

Crazy lady at registrars office made me get a CENOMAR

Marriage counseling seminar

Final divorce decree (original)

Passport

Birth Certificates for both of you

Barangay clearance

Police clearance (possibly)

We were cheated out of a few extra days because of the waiting period. It is not business days-it is 10 calendar days. The woman in charge was quite difficult throughout the whole process though and admitted after the 13th day that it was supposed to have been a 10 calendar day wait. A civil wedding can be done quickly compared to a church wedding. If you're not Catholic and do not have a RECENT baptismal record with you, forget it. You won't be able to have a church wedding. If you are and do have, it will still take as much as a month to go through the process within the church (seminars, banns, etc.). I was there for 32 days and it took nearly all of that time to get it all taken care of.

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

I am protestant and we had a catholic wedding. It is up to the church..we also had to have the archbishop (I forget the other name for him) sign off on it (he did with the recommendation of the priest that did our interview). I did it all in less than 26 days....but my wife's mom had connections everywhere to help us along. I dont think there is a 21 day waiting period, but you do have to have your picture posted at the parish to see if anyone objects to the marriage. Either way you go there is hoops you have to jump through to get it done.

Just to give you a little timeline...I arrived the philippines on 8 august at night...went to first seminar with the church on 9 august. Second day of seminar was 23 August and married on 29 august. I think we got the marriage license on 24 august...applied for on 11 august. we couldnt pick up the license until 24 august....10 business days later. They would have done it quicker, but we had the time to wait.

This was my exerience...others may have better or worse luck...or more or less help through the process by municiple hall and the church if they decide to go that way.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Reading all the requirements, I'm so thankful we didn't get married in the Philippines :P Too much paper work. Not to mention, weddings back home are always a circus.

Edited by skidivawannabe

25 January 2010: Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, EAD and AP - sent via UPS overnight delivery to Chicago Lockbox

26 January 2010: Received by receptionist CHIBA at 8:30 AM/Received date on NOA

02 February 2010: Checked cashed/Notice date

05 February 2010: Received NOA's for I-130,I-485,I-131,I-130

13 February 2010: Received ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics.

17 February 2010: Date of RFE for Federal Tax 1040/Received Text & Email confirmation

19 February 2010: Received RFE in mail

22 February 2010: Mailed Response to RFE via USPS Express mail

24 February 2010: Package delivered and received at Lee's Summit office

26 February 2010: Biometrics DONE/RFE Received-case processing resumed

17 March 2010: Email approval notifications - EAD & AP.

22 March 2010: Received AP by mail. Received interview schedule notice for 22 April.

22 April 2010: Greencard Approved :)

Removal of Conditions

24 January 2012: Sent I-751 petition via USPS Overnight

25 January 2012: Delivered at CSC, Receipt Date NOA1

27 January 2012: Checked cashed

30 January 2012: Received NOA in mail.

06 February 2012: Received Biometrics notice (dated 03 Feb)

02 March 2012: Biometrics appointment.

• 3 months later...

How can you do this before going to the Philippines to get the legal capacity to marry?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.