JoBri

125% Poverty Line

10 posts in this topic

Based on my hourly pay for a period of one year, my income falls about $250 short of the 125 % for me and my wife. But with all the overtime I work, it is about $10,000 over the 125% for 2. Do they determine the income on what your base pay is, or do they look at the amount of overtime factored in too? Anything that tells the answer to this for sure?

Thanks

Brian in Tennessee

Based on my hourly pay for a period of one year, my income falls about $250 short of the 125 % for me and my wife. But with all the overtime I work, it is about $10,000 over the 125% for 2. Do they determine the income on what your base pay is, or do they look at the amount of overtime factored in too? Anything that tells the answer to this for sure?

Thanks

Brian in Tennessee

Gross income!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

You provide your most recent tax returns with the affidavit of support. If you are over the 125% of gross income declared, then you're fine.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

It's your gross income on your tax return. You do have to submit an employment letter that states your pay. I'd recommend that you get your employer to include your hourly wages as well a statement about overtime; basically indicating that it is expected to continue.

If at all possible, you may want to talk to someone who could act as your co-sponsor if the need arises. Just to have that option available.

Best of Luck!

I-130 Journey

03/12/2008 I-130 Sent

03/17/2008 NOA1

05/07/2008, 05/08/2008 Touched

10/31/2008 Approved!!

NVC Journey

11/07/2008 I-130 Received; Case Number Assigned

11/12/2008 AOS Fee Bill Generated/DS3032 mailed

11/12/2008 Emailed DS3032 11/13/2008 Mailed DS3032 Hardcopy

11/15/2008 AOS Fee Bill Received in Mail (IIN Received in the mail)

11/17/2008 Paid AOS Fee Online

11/17/2008 DS3032 Accepted

11/18/2008 AOS Fee shows as Paid; Mailed AOS Packet overnight

11/18/2008 IV Fee Available, IV Fee Paid Online

11/20/2008 Mailed DS230 Packet Overnight, AOS Entered into the system (False RFE Message) Rec 11/21

11/24/2008 IV Bill hardcopy received (not needed since I paid online)

11/26/2008 NVC Case Complete 19 days!!

12/23/2008 CR1Visa In Hand

12/24/2008 POE San Juan

US Entry

01/09/2009 Welcome Letter/Card Processing ordered

01/15/2009 Green Card Received, 01/14/2009 SS Card Received

Removal of Conditions

10/16/2010 I751 Sent

10/25/2010 NOA Received NOA Date 10/19/2010

01/12/2011 Biometrics (Biometrics letter date 12/15/2010)

03/03/2011 Approved - Card Production Ordered

03/10/2011 GC Received

US Citizenship

10/13/2011 N400 Sent

10/18/2011 NOA 10/19/2011 Check Cashed

04/17/2012 Email bio letter sent (received 4/19/12)

04/24/2012 Early Bio due to travel plans (bio date orig 5/11/12)

04/30/2012 Interview letter received

At our embassy review they did ask for and check current pay stubs. I'd plan to work some overtime the last couple months before the interview if that's possible. Tax returns + current income is what they looked at for us.

Thanks

Brian in Tennessee

i don't get it.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
It's your gross income on your tax return. You do have to submit an employment letter that states your pay. I'd recommend that you get your employer to include your hourly wages as well a statement about overtime; basically indicating that it is expected to continue.

If at all possible, you may want to talk to someone who could act as your co-sponsor if the need arises. Just to have that option available.

Best of Luck!

Gross income, yes but an employer letter is optional. Hourly employees sometimes have a hard time getting a letter that reflects more than their base hourly rate. In this case that may hurt rather than help, so I'd use year to date pay stubs to suppliment three years of tax transcripts, then declare you current income as equal to last year's gross before taxes.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

What counts is sufficient predictable income. In this economy, overtime pay is going to become more and more unpredictable. So, just provide this year's pay stubs and three years of tax records and let them speak for themselves. Also, a signed letter from a bank official that states your total deposits for the preceding 12 months and your current balance. An employer would have a hard time signing a letter that forecasts overtime pay into the future.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
What counts is sufficient predictable income. In this economy, overtime pay is going to become more and more unpredictable. So, just provide this year's pay stubs and three years of tax records and let them speak for themselves. Also, a signed letter from a bank official that states your total deposits for the preceding 12 months and your current balance. An employer would have a hard time signing a letter that forecasts overtime pay into the future.

I'd only use the bank letter if it would clearly help the case. Unfortunately though the I-134 requires the sponsor to complete a statement to the effect of "I currently derive an annual income of $X." In my mind, the safe bet is to use the gross number from the most recent tax return and then let the supporting documentation speak for itself, at least for this case.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Well, my employer pays hourly wages, and where I work they deduct half an hour from our day for lunch, so in the end I have only 37.5 hours a week. My boss, the Director of Nursing, will write the letter from what I prepare for her. In that letter she will show for an 8 hour day rather than 7.5. In that case, I will have base income above the minimum of 17500. And she will also reflect that the overtime for me, which is in health care, will continue, with even a more urgent need as time goes on. At any rate, My gross income is way over the minimum, and I have pay stubs going back a full year to show the overtime is continuous, day after day after day after day.

I'd only use the bank letter if it would clearly help the case. Unfortunately though the I-134 requires the sponsor to complete a statement to the effect of "I currently derive an annual income of $X." In my mind, the safe bet is to use the gross number from the most recent tax return and then let the supporting documentation speak for itself, at least for this case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.