Jump to content

Senior Frog

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Reputation Activity

  1. Thanks
    Senior Frog reacted to pushbrk in the non US government benefits are public charge?   
    I think you are wrong and they don't care anyway.  They care about the applicant becoming a public charge AFTER they arrive in the US.  With a qualified sponsor, they won't.  Done deal.
  2. Like
    Senior Frog reacted to OrihimeandIchigo in the non US government benefits are public charge?   
    From the NVC stage to the I-864 forms to the new DS-5540 it doesn't ask you questions like that. Only if you used US public assistance to my knowledge.
  3. Haha
    Senior Frog got a reaction from Mezyan in medicaid while sponsor the husband   
    i can confirm to you this insurance is for new immigrants with 0 deductible
    i can provide you a link if its not against the forums law.
    EDIT: oh sorry that was $780/month
  4. Confused
    Senior Frog got a reaction from Lemonslice in medicaid while sponsor the husband   
    she is not really need to has this amount of money, i can buy health insurance while outside US for $780 for one year (365 days)
    isn't enough by new law ?
  5. Haha
    Senior Frog got a reaction from Marieke H in medicaid while sponsor the husband   
    i can confirm to you this insurance is for new immigrants with 0 deductible
    i can provide you a link if its not against the forums law.
    EDIT: oh sorry that was $780/month
  6. Haha
    Senior Frog got a reaction from Boiler in medicaid while sponsor the husband   
    i can confirm to you this insurance is for new immigrants with 0 deductible
    i can provide you a link if its not against the forums law.
    EDIT: oh sorry that was $780/month
  7. Thanks
    Senior Frog reacted to geowrian in medicaid while sponsor the husband   
    From that link:
    "Green card health insurance plans provides temporary medical coverage for US green card holders visiting or living the in the US and do not qualify for individual regular domestic insurance or other govt or private domestic health insurance in the US"
    There is no reason you would not qualify for private insurance once you moved to the US. You should also be eligible for any plans on the healthcare exchange for your state (although probably not with a subsidy).
    It's impossible to know what options apply to you (state, age, etc.). I did run a couple test cases for a 30 year old and it came out to $775 total for 1 year of coverage. The only option that came up normally was Diplomat America.
    However, the following screen where you actually apply says "Not available if Home Country/Country of Residences are: United States (USA)."
    The plan brochure says "Who should purchase the Diplomat America? Travel insurance designed to cover Non-U.S. Citizens and Non-U.S. Residents traveling to the United States. This valuable travel protection is ideal for students, business and leisure travelers, study abroad, international exchange students, tourists, holiday travelers, and church or missionary travelers."
    tldr: It appears to be a travel insurance plan, with repatriation coverage in the event of a significant event.
    I brought up the options for green card holders specifically (https://www.visitorscoverage.com/green-card-health-insurance/plans/), too. The top paragraph says:
    "Choose from a variety of short-term health insurance plans for new immigrants and green card holders; ideal for individuals, senior citizens, parents and immigrant families who do not qualify for private or domestic US health insurance. Please review this disclaimer about PCPA (Obamacare)
    The following are some of the best and top-rated short-term travel medical insurance plans that can provide quality health coverage for green card holders and new immigrants who travel back and forth between their home country and the United States who are not yet eligible for domestic medical insurance in the USA. You can get quotes and purchase a green card health insurance policy online. Note: when purchasing medical coverage for green card holders and new immigrants, you cannot list the USA as your “home country.”"
    No prices were listed for most plans. You have to fill out their application form to get pricing. You cannot list your residence as the US, which again implies it is not for people who will actually be residing in the US.
    That said...
    I don't want to get too sidetracked on insurance. I know enough to get around, but I don't claim to be an expert. Do your due diligence and evaluate all options. Make sure they will cover you if you actually live in the US, and they meet your coverage needs. Most of the plans had like $1000/day hospital stay, $3000 surgery, etc. maximums. I had a fairly common surgery with no complications at all last year. The 4 days in the hospital (med surg, not ER or ICU or step-down or anything) came to $134,000 in bills.
    I would suggest looking at the healthcare exchange for your state. You can start getting an idea of prices here: https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/
  8. Thanks
    Senior Frog reacted to geowrian in medicaid while sponsor the husband   
    That list is correct as of right now (see note #2 below). However, its relevance depends on the question being asked.
    If the question is "Can I or my sponsor use x?", then the answer would be that you can use any benefits for which you qualify.
    USCs have no restrictions.
    Medicaid generally only covers legal permanent residents (LPRs) after 5 years of being an LPR. This is due to the ban on federal funds for public assistance to LPRs. There are 2 states known to self-fund Medicaid during those first 5 years for LPRs: CA & NY. Some other states have limited coverage for LPRs with certain circumstances.
    The program's rules should determine if a non-citizen qualifies for the benefit or not.
    Using programs for which you qualify would not make you inadmissible as a public charge. Medicaid itself (except in the case of long term/institutionalized care) is not a public chage under current rules (again, see below). At the same time, unless you live in either of those 2 states, it generally won't be available to you for at least 5 years. Coverage options are something the CO can consider in the totality of circumstances.
    If the question is "Is usage of those programs (specifically "means-tested benefits") by a sponsor part of the totality of circumstances considered by the CO?", then the answer is "Yes". See the linked FAM section.
    If the CO believes you are likely to become dependent on certain means tested benefits, then they will refuse the visa.
    Take a good read through the previously linked FAM section. It has a lot of information on what is considered a public charge, various factors considered (at a minimum), etc.
    Background info (not particular to your case or impacting you at this time😞
    Note 1: USCIS handles petitions, applications, etc. CBP handles the border. ICE handles enforcement. These are all overly simplified, but that's the gist of it. These all fall under DHS.
    Consulates are under DOS. When dealing with visas, DOS is the authoritative department of the federal government. They follow the  Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM).
    Sometimes there are discrepancies between these 2. Sometimes they have different rules.
    I'm not saying the above list is incorrect, though...just letting you know that the FAM is the best source to look at for anything relating to visas (alongside the INA itself).
    Note 2: Per the note at the top of that page, on Feb. 24th the rules are being modified. Additional benefits are being considered for becoming a public charge, along with other changes.
    See https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/uscis-announces-public-charge-rule-implementation-following-supreme-court-stay-nationwide-injunctions
    But per note #1, this does not impact DOS decisions. DOS has a similar rule but it is not implemented at this time. That could change any day, never, or with modifications.
    DOS rule reference: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/Information-on-Public-Charge.html
  9. Thanks
    Senior Frog reacted to JeanneAdil in ITIN and back account   
    the only time you can apply for ITIN is with the tax returns / paper filing as no online site has this form available 
    the form to fill out is the W7 along with proof of marriage if the foreign spouse ID and Date of birth
    good idea to get a POA from the spouse to sign tax returns for them
    and with the ITIN your get from IRS and POA add her to checking or savings account (can not have a debit card when still not in the country)
    remember to change this ITIN at the bank to the new SS # when the spouse comes 
    when spouse fills out the ds 260 at NVC stage have them check the box for USCIS to do the work to get the SS #
    this is the site for claiming a nonresident alien spouse on tax returns
    always follow IRS instructions 
  10. Like
    Senior Frog reacted to Cyberfx1024 in 23 years age gap MENA CR-1 chances ?   
    Honestly yes the age gap is an issue in the MENA region. But with everything else you have going for you it is a small an issue. 
    The vast majority of issues in conjunction with the age gap are usually: 
    The couple do not both speak Arabic
    The woman is usually White and Non-Muslim
    The younger man usually doesn't have much of a education while the woman does. 
  11. Thanks
    Senior Frog reacted to bakphx1 in [should/shouldn't] to prove bona fide marriage   
    Relax you are by far not the first couple to file the I130 while still living apart.  
    We sent the same as above, pictures together, passport stamps, travel receipts (I sent the confirmation emails and itineraries rather than boarding passes), some printouts of chats.
    If you have not had the need to send/receive money then it’s not a big deal.  I had sent my husband a credit card as he was in school.  If you don’t gave such a need, it’s not expected.
    Mainly outline your interactions and think of anything that documents that.  Trips especially.
     I did get my husband an ITIN and we filed taxes together but it’s not easy and may not be worth it. I can’t say for sure if it helped, though the tax credit was nice.
  12. Thanks
    Senior Frog reacted to Oliversmom in [should/shouldn't] to prove bona fide marriage   
    We didn't have any joint financials when I applied for my husband.  Now he comes from a difficult consulate so we added all this in his petition.  Some say it is not necessary except for certain countries.  I sent:  passport stamps, boarding passes, pictures of us together and with his family, chat logs (not a lot - just a sampling over the course of your relationship), and phone records.  This worked for us.  So this is just some examples. 
  • Create New...