Jump to content

Cat in Water

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Cat in Water

  • Rank
  • Member # 322529
  • Location Avondale, AZ, USA
  1. Hi, I am applying based on the 3 year rule. I came on a tourist visa as a kid. I recently got my 10 year green card. I am just concern about the tax issue since I have to submit the last three years of tax returns.
  2. I have a problem. I'm am doing my form N-400 and I am stuck at the part where I have to submit the tax returns for the past 3 years. My husband and I have been filing as married filing jointly for the past two years. However three years ago I filed as head of household under a different address other than the one I lived on. The reason is because I supported my mom and siblings 100%. I rented an apartment under my name and paid all of their bills since my mom had separated and couldn't work due to health issues. She would take care of my child while I worked. I did not lived with them. The person who filed my taxes convinced me this was the best choice to get most of my tax return and the right one because since I was supporting them I was Head of Household. That is now a problem since I can't submit that as proof of our marriage and it seems to be required. On top of that all of the bills are under my name. We don't have joint bank accounts. I only have him as a driver under my auto insurance and that's it. I am thinking about waiting another year to submit my application since then I would have 2017, 2018 and 2019 under both of our names. I recently had gotten my permanent green card on November, 2018 and since it's been over 3 years I really wanted to submit my application for citizenship. Regarding the tax thing, is that even legal? If it is, are they going to have a problem with that?