Paul & Ilona

Flying to US -- border tips please

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I (Canada) married my husband (America) this past June. I'm flying to the US next week to see an immigration lawyer and to get my immigration papers filed.

What the hell do I tell the border guard? Would I be retarded if I told the truth? "I'm going to visit my husband for a week." Will they laugh and tell me "No you're not, get lost." and deny me entry because I'm a illegal-immigration risk?? Should I just avoid it all and just tell him he's my boyfriend? I know lying to them is really really bad, but I have to see this lawyer and this is a non-refundable ticket. I am so scared and sick over this.

Oh, and I know about the letter from your employer and the lease-agreement and the proof of ties to Canada and blah blah blah, but how much proof to those pigs actually need? Even if I show them my pay stubs and letters from my boss and things, what are the chances of me getting through if I actually tell them I'm going to see my husband?? PLEASE HELP!

PS- I'm flying from Ottawa, ON to Cleveland OH

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tell them the truth! And be prepared to show them that you are only staying for the time you are saying you will be there -- if they ask.

PS. Welcome to VJ!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Tell them the truth! And be prepared to show them that you are only staying for the time you are saying you will be there -- if they ask.

PS. Welcome to VJ!

Who has done this, though?? If anyone has had similiar experience, please share! What did they ask? What did they wanna see? Did you eventually get in, or did they shake you around for three quarters of an hour and then tell you stay in Canada where you belong???

PS. Welcome to VJ!

Also, if I get pressed on something, should you say "I'm planning on filing for a CR-1 or K-3", or would that be retarded too? Will that give them reason to trust me, or mistrust me??? Honestly, I think it could go either way for them depending on how foul a mood he's in.

Am I too jaded for someone who's never actually been denied entry before??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've crossed 5 or 6 times now during our visa process, sometimes they say nothing at all, sometimes they harass me. Each time I've told the truth, and I've never been denied. I did have to basically argue my way through the last time though, because the CBP officer was new and seemed to think I wasn't even allowed to visit while a visa is pending.

Anyways, as long as you have your return ticket and your ties to Canada (you seem pretty informed already as to what kind of ties to bring :thumbs: ,) you should be fine. Be calm and truthful. It would be a huge inconvenience and a bit of a heartbreak to tell the truth and be turned around at the border for some reason, but it would be much worse if you got caught lying and were given a ban for misrepresentation.

Since you haven't quite started the process, I wouldn't bother volunteering the info that you plan on applying for a CR1 or K3. Most likely, they will ask you anyways. You're much better off just answering what they ask, and not babbling away or volunteering extra info.

You'll do fine. You seem to know your stuff, so I'm sure you'll get through without any problems. Welcome to VJ, and now that you're a member of the Canuck forum, make sure to stop in after you arrive in the US and tell us how it went:)

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

just answer the questions they ask truthfully and to the point , you don't need to go into detail.. like if they ask you business or pleasure.. just say pleasure... etc...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Welcome to VJ, Paul & Ilona. Just as a societal reference so you don't continue to offend, please try not to refer to situations or impressions as "retarded". Thanks a bunch. :thumbs:

Your best response at the POE is to be truthful. Ease of entry will be dependent upon the officer and the situation. It is never predictable. Just be prepared to be refused entry at any point and you won't be disappointed.

For my own, personal, experience.... I always told the truth and I was always allowed to visit.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Always tell the truth - getting caught in a lie doesn't just mean you get turned back on this visit . . . it means you get a ban for misrepresentation that will require a waiver and a lot of heartache and headache to achieve. Bring proof of your ties to Canada - I had to use mine twice when travelling to visit my then fiance - they do carry weight. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

ALWAYS ALWAYS tell the truth. if they catch you in a lie, your screwed, simple as that! one can face a ban of a few yrs, or a permanent ban! So the choice is yours. i traveled monthly to DC while under going the cr-1 process My tips:

1) tell the truth, BUT

2) dont blab away!! Answer ONLY thier question, keep your answers short and to the point!! IE: POE asks, business or pleasure?? i would state pleasure and returning on such a date. If they ask friends or family, i would state seeing a friend, if they probe more a girlfriend

3) be polite!! Reply with sir/maam

4)BE confident in ur replies! look them in their eyes when speaking

5) pack light!!!

6) proof of ties to Canada, ie: letter from employer, utility bills, apartment/house lease/deed, return ticket

7) never get upset with the POE guy, your NOT going to win!! Even if u get denied entry, dont be a jerk! Ask what you could do to improve your chances of gaining entry next time

8) dont bring any job resumes with ya

POe officers are trained to look for people lying, keep that in mind!! They only have a short amount of time to make that decision!

9) in case you do get denied entry (and some cdns do, not a big deal, and shouldn't harm ur visa process--that is if u told the truth) have a plan!!

With regards to a lawyer!! If its a straight forward case, ur better off using VJ!!! We used one,while she was good, it was just $2500 thrown out the window. They dont really speed up the case!! For a straight forward case,all a lawyer will be is a $$$ proof read checker!! You still have to gather up all the paper work (police cert, long form birth cert, etc etc) But thats just my opinion!! VJ is a great site for support! There are even examples of filled out paperwork at the top of the page (example forms) Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with everyone else above...Flames9 hits the nail on the head.

Lawyers don't speed up the process. They are really there to do all the paper work for you if you don't have the time to do it yourself but as Flames9 says this board (VJ) is really helpful and you could easily get it done yourself to save the $$$.

Don't lie! Lying is never good. Last thing you need is that....the truth is always a better alternative no matter what.

Definitely do not volunteer information. Only answer their questions. Do not elaborate unless they ask you more questions or else you could end up digging a hole.

Think positive thoughts!

What's that saying...hope for the best, expect the worse that way you won't be disapointed. =)

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

Timeline

We hired a lawyer--and we still pretty much filled in all the paperwork, its not as if the lawyer can read ur mind and get the info,lol As i said, she was a $2500 proof reader!! Reason why we went with a lawyer 1) had not found VJ 2) we were both busy. 3) she went to the local immigration office, and was told by an employee it was pretty much impossible to do on ones own without a lawyer, big lie!!! Oh well, live and learn

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I must agree with all of the above comments. I entered once without the best intentions in mind, but at the last minute I told the officer the truth instead of lying (as I had planned). He didn't seem to care and let me in. I have a feeling he would have had a problem with me if I was sweating and studdering etc.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

I crossed the border every weekend for 2 1/2 years to visit my wife, and I was honest every time. Just make sure you have all your documents and can show a return ticket or whatever to Canada and you should be fine :) Good luck with the meeting!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

C. flew down last Christmas while the K-1 was pending. No problems at all. He was never asked about proof of ties or anything like that.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.