greenslippers

i have ssn # and ead is in card production? can I work, legally?

20 posts in this topic

I already have a social security number (card says not valid for employment) and recently received the online notification that my card is in production (7/13, ead touched 7/16). I have a job offer (which I was supposed to begin 2 weeks ago), I explained the situation to them and they said they'd give me till aug 1. I haven't received my approval letter or anything official apart from the online notification. Now my question is, is it legal for them to hire me now even though I don't have the card in my hand yet? Also, will i have to get a new SSN or will I just need a new ssn card? anyone have any advice on how to proceed.

Edited by greenslippers

3/25/07 AOS & EAD received

3/30/07 NOA of AOS & EAD

4/24/07 biometrics appointment

6/26/07 Infopass appointment for EAD (no interim EAD anymore, will send email)

6/27/07 infopass appointment to check response to email: email was not sent, promised to send again)

6/27/07 received phone call from USCIS local office that there is RFE (I-864)

7/5/07 I-864 sent

7/13/07 EAD card production

7/16/07 EAD touched

7/25/07 email saying ead approval notice sent

7/26/07 EAD in hand

7/26/07 interview date for 8/20

8/20/07 interview went well RFE (TB test)/ 485 approved pending receipt of RFE

8/27/07 RFE submitted

9/5/07 CRIS email saying we've sent welcome letter

9/7/07 GC card production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can search around for jobs, perhaps interview, but the employer is obligated to SEE the card to complete the requirements of the I-9

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

When you do get green card, you can apply for a SS Card without the "DHS Authorization" Disclaimer, same number, once a person has a SSN they keep the same number for life.

Anytime a person's immigration status changes they need to inform SSA, Non-Immigrant --> LPR and LPR --> Citizen, also name changes.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

You can search around for jobs, perhaps interview, but the employer is obligated to SEE the card to complete the requirements of the I-9

Wrong. The employer is only obligated to see the card within 90 days of the person starting employment, if the card is approved then it should be in the employee's possesion by the end of that 90 day period. If you have an approved EAD you can start work now.

That said, most employers will not employ you without solid proof you are Employment Authorized, the most obvious proof is the card, so the fact that you are legally allowed to work might be a moot point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I couldn't work legally without my EAD card - I also have a SS card with the same specification but I also needed the EAD. The funny part is that I received my GC before my EAD - so I don't need my EAD anymore!

Filed: Other Timeline

Wrong. The employer is only obligated to see the card within 90 days of the person starting employment, if the card is approved then it should be in the employee's possesion by the end of that 90 day period. If you have an approved EAD you can start work now.

That said, most employers will not employ you without solid proof you are Employment Authorized, the most obvious proof is the card, so the fact that you are legally allowed to work might be a moot point.

Dr_LHA,

Can you please tell me where it says "The employer is only obligated to see the card within 90 days of the person starting employment"?

I may need that information in near future.

I am an H1-B holder, and just found an academic job in a college recently, but I havent received the paperwork yet. Starting date is August 28.

I am going to have an GC interview on August 27, and my 90- day mark for EAD is September 2 (NOA-1 is June 4), and I am hoping that it will be approved before that time and I receive the card.

If I dont get it before job starting date, but if it is approved, I can show the information you mentioned to HR people, and hopefully they will understand.

Who knows, I may not need any of these; maybe they stamp my passport in the interview or I can receive EAD. I am just preparing for the worst case scenario.

Thanks for your help as always.

Kaan

Edited by celikkanat

AOS & EAD

05/24/07: I-485,I-130 and I-765 Mailed AOS/EAD to Chicago

05/26/07: The package arrives to P.O. Box

05/30/07: NOA1 Received date

06/04/07: NOA1 Notice Date (Day 1)

06/05/07: Checks are cashed.

06/08/07: NOA1 arrives.

06/08/07: Biometrics notice date (Day 5)

06/15/07: Biometrics letter arrived. (Day 12)

06/21/07: Touched-first time:)

06/30/07: Biometrics appointment (Day 27)

07/02/07: Touched- I485 & I765

07/16/07: Interview letter arrives (Day 43)

08/08/07: Touched-I485

08/11/07: EAD start date (since no update online, I assume this is the approval date)

08/13/07: Touched-I485

08/20/07: Got EAD in the mail. (No touches and no email notification) (Day 78)

08/21/07: E-mail notification for EAD

08/27/07: Interview (Day 85) approved, but had to resubmit the birthcertificate

09/26/07: birth certificate is submitted, passport stamped. Receive "card production ordered email"

10/04/07: "Welcome U.S.A." letter received.

10/10/07: Green Card received. (Day 129)

Dr_LHA,

Can you please tell me where it says "The employer is only obligated to see the card within 90 days of the person starting employment"?

I may need that information in near future.

I am an H1-B holder, and just found an academic job in a college recently, but I havent received the paperwork yet. Starting date is August 28.

I am going to have an GC interview on August 27, and my 90- day mark for EAD is September 2 (NOA-1 is June 4), and I am hoping that it will be approved before that time and I receive the card.

If I dont get it before job starting date, but if it is approved, I can show the information you mentioned to HR people, and hopefully they will understand.

Who knows, I may not need any of these; maybe they stamp my passport in the interview or I can receive EAD. I am just preparing for the worst case scenario.

Thanks for your help as always.

Kaan

I have found it, it is mentioned on I-9.

Thanks.

Kaan

AOS & EAD

08/11/07: EAD start date (since no update online, I assume this is the approval date)

09/26/07: birth certificate is submitted, passport stamped. Receive "card production ordered email"

Just to clarify this celinkat, the 90 day "grace period" is only good if your EAD has actually been approved. If your EAD or your GC hasn't been approved then you can't work I'm afraid.

:thumbs:

depends on whether employer will accept email as receipt notice for the EAD card. my employer prefers to see document in hand before someone actually starts working.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Yes, as it comes down to a lot with employment authorization, being employment authorized and actually being able to work are two different things.

I can say however that savvy employers will employ before the EAD arrives. My employers for example allowed me to sign an I-9 based on me giving them the NOA1 for my EAD, and them looking online and seeing it was approved. That said, I doubt many employers would be that savvy. ;)

Yes, as it comes down to a lot with employment authorization, being employment authorized and actually being able to work are two different things.

I can say however that savvy employers will employ before the EAD arrives. My employers for example allowed me to sign an I-9 based on me giving them the NOA1 for my EAD, and them looking online and seeing it was approved. That said, I doubt many employers would be that savvy. ;)

or don't want to go to the trouble like mine. :lol:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Just to clarify this celinkat, the 90 day "grace period" is only good if your EAD has actually been approved. If your EAD or your GC hasn't been approved then you can't work I'm afraid.

Thank you Dr_LHA.

I understand that my EAD or GC has to be approved. I was happy to know 90-day grace period because it varies the time that your receive the card, and now I will not worry too much about when to receive the card.

I appreciate your help.

Kaan

AOS & EAD

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone -

I am looking through the I-9 document on this website:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/EIB102.pdf

and can't find the 90-day rule where the card does not need to be in hand. Could someone let me know where it is? I spoke to immigration and they said that the card was in production. Unfortunately I never got the e-mail, but I wanted to get this in front of my employer and conference them into a call with me and customer service in which they state the card is under production. Anyone have any other ideas to get a written copy that states I am approved, it isn't updated on the website unfortunately even though they said it was under production since last week.

Thanks everyone,

Thank you Dr_LHA.

I understand that my EAD or GC has to be approved. I was happy to know 90-day grace period because it varies the time that your receive the card, and now I will not worry too much about when to receive the card.

I appreciate your help.

Kaan

My husband's company allowed him to start working based on approved EAD, but will not pay him until he has the card in hand. It seems hypocritical to me especially since we've had an extra-long wait for it, but at least he'll be paid a huge chunk all at once.

Not sure on the legalities, but at this point I don't even care. If that's how they want to do it, so be it. Hopefully he'll have it within the next week...

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.