flygi

Changing name on SS card

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I recently got married on my K-1 visa and sent in my adjustment of status papers. However when I went to the Social Security office with my wife to try and change her name, they told me that they could not change it because her visa expired in less than 2 weeks. I thought that the visa combined with our marriage license was enough proof of her status. What else do I need before we can do this?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The SSA office is correct, you need to wait for Green-card or EAD to make the change.

I recomend waiting for green-card, that way you only need to make 1 change, (Change Name, and to remove the "with DHS auth" note)

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline
I recently got married on my K-1 visa and sent in my adjustment of status papers. However when I went to the Social Security office with my wife to try and change her name, they told me that they could not change it because her visa expired in less than 2 weeks.

Still can get name changed on the SSN record, just no card can be issued at this point. Once the SSN record is corrected ask for an SSN Verification Printout. Then once you have the EAD or I-551 card, you just need to apply for a replacement card, since the SSN record has already been corrected.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

D. PROCEDURE - SSN CARD REQUEST BY ALIEN NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK

4. Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid

nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be

corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change

(e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the

SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a

card. (suppress issuance of the card, and see RM 00202.320 for providing

SSN Verification Printouts.)

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202320

RM 00202.320 Issuing Numidents and SSN Verification Printouts

B. POLICY

Under the Privacy Act, an individual has the right to a copy of his/her SSN information, including the Form SS-5 or systems-generated application, and the Numident printout. (See GN 03325.025.)

A non-U.S. citizen NH with a valid SSN who does not have current legal immigration status or work authorization from DHS also has the right to a copy of his/her SSN information under the Privacy Act. While a replacement card generally cannot be issued to a NH who does not have current work authorization or a current valid nonwork reason, the SSN verification printout may be provided after the identity of the requestor has been established and, if necessary, any corrective action has been completed to update the Numident...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed to establish the name change if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

Note: State law must also allow the type of name change wishing to be made

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information, e.g., biographical data

such as age, date of birth or parent's names, and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security

number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g.,

age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match our records, e.g., the SSN

record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical

information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.)

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

You can refer SSA office personnel to EM-06064 for current procedures for a name change due to marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.