jatex

How long for greencard holder allowed to stay outside US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hey'all,

I already have my conditional greencard, my questions are:

1. How long for conditional greencard holder would be allowed to stay outside US? 6 months? one year?

2. What kind of documents that I should bring if I should stay outside US more than 6 months?

Thank you for the answers.

Jatex

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hey'all,

1. How long for conditional greencard holder would be allowed to stay outside US? 6 months? one year?

2. What kind of documents that I should bring if I should stay outside US more than 6 months?

Jatex

Please follow the first link in my signature: Now That You Are A Permanent Resident.

Answers abound.

PS: Answers depend on whether or not you will apply for naturalization.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline

jatex,

A LPR can stay outside the USA as long as they maintain their permanent place of residence in the USA. See Now That You Are A Permanent Resident on the USCIS web site, as Meauxna suggested.

If you're going to be out of the country for between 1 and 2 years apply for a re-entry permit. If for more than 2 years have a consultation with an immigration attorney who has experience with abandonment of status to discuss how the information you read on the USCIS web page that Meauxna referred you to applies to your specific situation.

Yodrak

Hey'all,

Jatex

Edited by Yodrak

• 1 year later...
jatex,

A LPR can stay outside the USA as long as they maintain their permanent place of residence in the USA. See Now That You Are A Permanent Resident on the USCIS web site, as Meauxna suggested.

If you're going to be out of the country for between 1 and 2 years apply for a re-entry permit. If for more than 2 years have a consultation with an immigration attorney who has experience with abandonment of status to discuss how the information you read on the USCIS web page that Meauxna referred you to applies to your specific situation.

Yodrak

Hey'all,

Jatex

Hi,

Please tell me is there anything like "6 months rule" outside the USA for GC holders. I didn't find anything on USCIS website, but my sister was told that she might have troubles at the PO since she is going back for the first time for a short visit after 11 month.

Please share if anybody had any troubles with traveling outside the USA for period longer than 6 months but less than a year.

Thanks

Timeline:

07/05/2006. Married in Anniston, AL, USA

I-130

02/06/2008. Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

02/08/2008. I-130 delivered to Chicago Lockbox. Signed by V BUSTAMANTE

02/20/2008. I-130 NOA1 date. Vermont Service Center

08/26/2008. Touched. (I-130 transferred to California Service Center)

08/27/2008. Touched.

08/28/2008. Touched. (This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred)

08/29/2008. Touched.

09/26/2008. Touched.

09/27/2008. Touched.

10/16/2008. Touched.

10/17/2008. Touched.

11/12/2008. Touched.(Senator inquired on case status. Case with FBI. Was told not to inquire again for 90 days)

11/13/2008. Touched.

11/26/2008. Touched.

02/18/2009. Touched.(Senator inquired on case status again. Case still with FBI. Was told not to inquire for another 180 days)

02/24/2009. Touched.

03/10/2009. Received letter from USCIS requesting evidence to prove citizenship.

04/04/2009. Approved!! Received letter. Case status online didn't change.

NVC:

04/17/2009. Case number received.

04/22/2009. DS-3032 and AOS bill generated.

04/28/2009. Emailed DS-3032

05/04/2009. Paid AOS bill online.

05/07/2009. DS-3032 accepted.

06/23/2009. AOS mailed received by NVC on 06/26/2009

06/25/2009. Mailed DS-230 package form Azerbaijan received by NVC on 06/30/2009

07/09/2009. False RFE (ds-230 wasn't in the system yet)

07/14/2009. Case Completed!!!

07/30/2009. Got the interview date.

08/27/2009. Medical Passed.

09/29/2009. Interview Passed.

09/30/2009. Visa issued.

10/25/2009. POE Atlanta, Georgia

11/07/2009. 10 year Green Card received!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
jatex,

Yodrak

Hey'all,

Jatex

Hi,

Please tell me is there anything like "6 months rule" outside the USA for GC holders. I didn't find anything on USCIS website, but my sister was told that she might have troubles at the PO since she is going back for the first time for a short visit after 11 month.

Please share if anybody had any troubles with traveling outside the USA for period longer than 6 months but less than a year.

Thanks

No, you wont have immediate problem when when you wnat to file your citizenship they might deny for not staying consecutively for 5 years and abandonemenmt but if you have proof of residence like payments, then you should be fine.I am experiencing same. Be careful

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

At my husband's GC interview the IO told us there IS a 6-month rule.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey'all,

Jatex

If you have green card only, the time you're allowed to be out of US is 6 months maximum. If you are planing to

stay longer i'll avise you to get a permit from INS because you may have problem on your way back to US. If you stay

more than 6 months you have to bring documment from a doctor and/or some authority from your countrysaying that due

to a reason out of control , was imposible to you to return to US on that time frame. I know about two people that

were returned back to Dominican Republic without their green card becuase they were out of US for more than 6 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What if outside the US on a greencard for 15 month with out having a re-enter permit?

I don't want to scare you, but unless you've been quite diligent to maintain a US residence, and have paid US taxes during that period, CBP could very well deem that you have abandoned your US residency when you attempt to reenter. Green card revocation is a very realistic possibility in your situation. At the very least, you can expect an epic tongue lashing from a CBP officer or officers in secondary inspection. If they do let you back in, I wouldn't leave the US again for any reason for a very long time.

While there is some ambiguity in the rules about the period between 6 months and one year, the rule for trips of more then one year is very plain: a reentry permit is REQUIRED to avoid serious problems with CBP upon reentry. You may want to do a phone consult with a US-based immigration lawyer. You may have some issues to sort out.

Edit:

Oh dear. MAJOR thread necromancy here. Oh well, the warning is worth repeating anyways.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Other Timeline

In order to avoid potential problems, you should not leave the country for longer than 6 months. It's a hell of a vacation nonetheless, isn't it?

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.