HUSKERKIEV

1st post former NSC adjudicator now petitioner

286 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so don't flame me for protocol or if I say something out of place.

I joined VJ because of two reasons. First, I just sent off my initial I-129F packet to NSC for processing and 2) I used to be an Applications Adjudicator (Immigration Officer) at the NSC (2003) so I thought perhaps I could help out someone with any questions they have on how the NSC operates. Or at least the part that I worked in. Some of the processes are the same regardless of departments. I'd be happy to give you as much info as I can as there aren't any real secrets and since I don't work there any longer I can speak about it.

As for my K-1 journey, to make a long story short, I travelled last summer to Kiev and met a wonderful woman (and her daughter) quite by accident. We spent a lot of time together during my trip, fell in love and the rest as they say is "history".

We finally got around to compiling all the docs and as I said, I sent them off to NSC yesterady so I guess I fall into the February Filers category. I hope to have her and her daughter here by August (hopefully)!

So, I make myself available to anyone who has questions about the Nebraska Service Center and its quirks or the BCIS as it were in general.

Finally, to answer a question that some of you might be thinking - "no, I can't do anything to help you specifically with your petition. Just like I have to wait in line with everyone else on mine also. Yes, i still have friends who work there, but its againstthe rules to do favors and can get a person fired. And I would never put my friends in that position." But I'd be happy to answer other non-specific questions as I can. I don't know everything but I will try to help where I can.

Thanks.

D.

Timeline

2/20/07 - Mailed I-129 to NSC via Express Mail

2/21-07 - Application Received at NSC

2/26/07 - Transferred to CSC NOA1 recieved

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

7/8/07 - Recieved hard copy NOA2

7/20/07 - NVC sends Petition to Kiev

9/26/07 - Interview scheduled

9/26/07 - Visa Issued for K-1

10/07/07 - Scheduled departure to US

10/07/07 - Arrives POE Chicago !! Woo HOO!!

Welcome to VJ!!! I hope you don't get offended about some of the remarks you may read about about uscis :D

Filed: Timeline
Hello everyone,

This is my first post so don't flame me for protocol or if I say something out of place.

I joined VJ because of two reasons. First, I just sent off my initial I-129F packet to NSC for processing and 2) I used to be an Applications Adjudicator (Immigration Officer) at the NSC (2003) so I thought perhaps I could help out someone with any questions they have on how the NSC operates. Or at least the part that I worked in. Some of the processes are the same regardless of departments. I'd be happy to give you as much info as I can as there aren't any real secrets and since I don't work there any longer I can speak about it.

As for my K-1 journey, to make a long story short, I travelled last summer to Kiev and met a wonderful woman (and her daughter) quite by accident. We spent a lot of time together during my trip, fell in love and the rest as they say is "history".

We finally got around to compiling all the docs and as I said, I sent them off to NSC yesterady so I guess I fall into the February Filers category. I hope to have her and her daughter here by August (hopefully)!

So, I make myself available to anyone who has questions about the Nebraska Service Center and its quirks or the BCIS as it were in general.

Finally, to answer a question that some of you might be thinking - "no, I can't do anything to help you specifically with your petition. Just like I have to wait in line with everyone else on mine also. Yes, i still have friends who work there, but its againstthe rules to do favors and can get a person fired. And I would never put my friends in that position." But I'd be happy to answer other non-specific questions as I can. I don't know everything but I will try to help where I can.

Thanks.

D.

Welcome. I'm sure you'll have some pearls to offer, and of course, it goes without saying that we're expecting your submissions to be stellar! No RFE's allowed HUSKERKIEV :lol:

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well since Nebraska doesn't adjudicate I-129Fs anymore, you can be just like a regular petitioner! Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi HuskerKiev,

Welcome. Part of the frustration you might hear about is that what happens at USCIS is completely invisible. From our perspective, petitions go into a black hole and come out at an indeterminate time. My solution is to over-analyze the data :P to come up with what feel like reasonable expectations.

Perhaps you could provide an overview of the types of processing that happens and where delays are introduced into the system. Also, I'm sure that people would be interested in understanding the common mistakes to avoid when filing a petition. I understand that part of the purpose for the petition process is to prevent immigration fraud so I'm not asking you to divulge any of those red flags.

Two specific questions I have are:

• What are the key metrics the service centers are measured on?
  • Why is Vermont so much faster than the other centers (especially California)?

Thanks for your insights and good luck with your Jouney from this side of the fence :)

PPFKL

February 2003 - moved to China for work

March 2004 - met

September 2005 - returned to US

February 2006 - trip to China to visit during Spring Festival

May 2006 - trip to China for Peng-Peng's birthday

October 2006 - trip to China to visit

December 20, 2006 - filed I-129F @ CSC

December 27, 2006 - NOA1

January 2006 - became hyper-analytical 8-)

March 2007 - trip to China to visit

March 19, 2007 - NOA2

March 23, 2007 - Arrive NVC

April 2007 - P3?????

August 2007 - Interview?????

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

welcome to VJ HUSKERKIEV!! my fiance and I also filed at NSC but I wonder why we were transferred to CSC? :help:

goodluck to all of us here!!

rea

the opinions that i express in this website are my own and are not legal advise...thank you...

06/18/12: I-130 for parents approved

06/25/12: received email from USDOS - with MNL# assigned for both parents & agent registration (DS-3032)

06/25/12: received email from USDOS - requesting for AOS (Affidavit of Support) processing fee for $88.00

click here for my parents I-130 Journey

Timeline
Welcome to VJ!!! I hope you don't get offended about some of the remarks you may read about about uscis :D

No problem. I'm thick skinned. One thing I might add is that from an employee standpoint, the NSC can be a very frustrating place to work also. I will say that as a current DHS employee (different agency) that there are good people who work in government and people who really give a hoot about the work they do. I'd like to think I was one and also a very good friend of mine (who got so frustrated he left NSC also). Maginfy that across the range of DHS/BCIS, and you have some very dedicated people trying to do good.

Then again, you also have a small minority who do the least amount of work they can get by with everyday just like in any organization. They usually don't last long but they are there.

But by in large, it's a monumental task to process the volme of stuff that would come through on a daily basis.

I remember seeing all the boxes of case files and they never stopped coming. As soon as one box of files was completed there wee several others to take its place. People used to refer to it as "job security", which it was, but until you are inside system and see the volume they handle daily, its really hard to fathom. I know I was impressed.

I wish I could remember some of the stats they told us in training of how much they processed but the numbers escape me now.

I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader for the NSC, but just to let VJ'ers know that there are good people working there who try hard everyday to do a good job for the petitioners. But sometimes "the system" can play havoc with otherwise good intentions.

D.

Timeline

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

Welcome to VJ :) Good to hear from you and your story

I can't imagine how many applications for various things must come in everyday. It's incredible they get it all done :)

Do "touches" really mean an NOA2 or RFE is coming soon do you know

Tony (UK) and Danielle (US) K-1 Visa journey

2007:

February, 06: Sent I-129f package to the US to be routed to Vermont

February, 09: I-129f forwarded to Vermont USCIS from US Home

February, 12: I-129f arrives VSC :) Journey really starts!

February, 13: NOA1 Reciept date

February, 16: VSC Cashes the check

March, 09: NOA2 Email. yay!

March, 11: Touched... Probably for the last time at VSC :)

March, 14: NVC Recieved package

March, 15: NVC Sent package to London

March, 20: Package recieved in London

March, 28: Packet 3 recieved!

April, 2: Packet 3 Sent back to London

April, 10: Packet 3 recieved by London Embassy

April, 17: Packet 4 recieved

May, 1: Medical

May, 29: Interview! - APPROVED

June, 1: Visa in Hand

July 18: Fly back together POE

July, 24: Legally married!

July 27: Filed for AOS

July 30: AOS recieved in Chiacgo

August 24: NOA1 for EAD, AP and AOS

September 15: Real Marriage with friends and family

September 18: Biometrics

October 3: EAD card production ordered!

October 11: EAD card in hand!

October 15: Case forwarded to California!

Nov, 08: Card production ordered! AWESOME

Nov, 15: Green Card Recieved (even though it's yellow)! AWESOME

Thanks for sharing HuskerKiev. Its nice to know that there are good people wanting to help us out. I know at least I tend to forget how many other people are applying. Welcome to VJ!!! Hope we can help you as much as I'm sure you will help us!!! Yay for Feb filers :-D

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Timeline

Pardon the typos' in advance

Thats a tough question and things might have changed since I was there almost 4 years ago now. But Nebraska was lagging behind at that point also. Management really was pushing a numbers game as far as adjudicators cranking out as many as they can. I also see that the NSC has a new Director (who used to be the Omaha District Manager). He's a good man.

An Adjudicators job performance is based on several factors. 1) how many files (petitions) you process everyday 2) number of applications "kicked back" because you made a mistake and they shouldn't have been approved and 3) attention to details and how many errors you make. Management gets a report on each Adjudicator (we all have a individual ID #) showing the total # of petitions processed, number kicked back and how many errors we made. They can call this up anytime and we wree required to keep a daily tally of the work we did. When performance appraisel time came around, you would discuss your individual performance with your supervisor.

Thats one of the reasons why you might see that your application was "touched" several times ona given day but no change in status. The adjudicator began working it (touch), went to lunch (touch), came back from lunch (touch) and finished reviewing it and sent it off to be processed (touch). Its touched when it goes back into the que and etc...

Keep in mind everytime a file changes hands whether its signed out to an Adjudicator or some satff person, its gets "wanded" ino the system so they can track who specifically has the file. Each file has a scannable bar code. Sometimes you'd be working a file that has someone else working another compnent of the file or one of the family members. We would alwaystry to keep family members together and approve them at the same time.

getting back to the way it works,

If at any time you weren't processing enough petitions you would usually be talked to by your supervisor. Generally, this was only if there appeared to be a "trend" in your productivity. Everyone has days when they could process a lot vs. other "slower" days. A lot depends on the complexity of the petition you were working and some other "bean counting" tricks you could use to keep your #'s up. Everyone is trained on certain petitions first and progresses to the more complicated ones. This way they have the more experienced Adjudicators working the more difficult petitions like the 485's etc...

Hi HuskerKiev,

Welcome. Part of the frustration you might hear about is that what happens at USCIS is completely invisible. From our perspective, petitions go into a black hole and come out at an indeterminate time. My solution is to over-analyze the data :P to come up with what feel like reasonable expectations.

Perhaps you could provide an overview of the types of processing that happens and where delays are introduced into the system. Also, I'm sure that people would be interested in understanding the common mistakes to avoid when filing a petition. I understand that part of the purpose for the petition process is to prevent immigration fraud so I'm not asking you to divulge any of those red flags.

Two specific questions I have are:

• What are the key metrics the service centers are measured on?
  • Why is Vermont so much faster than the other centers (especially California)?

Thanks for your insights and good luck with your Jouney from this side of the fence :)

PPFKL

Welcome to VJ :) Good to hear from you and your story

I can't imagine how many applications for various things must come in everyday. It's incredible they get it all done :)

Do "touches" really mean an NOA2 or RFE is coming soon do you know

RE: RFE's and touches, see my last post about scanning in files to work them. D.

Timeline

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

WELCOME to VJ , HUSKERKIEV!!! :thumbs: and thanks for the offer to help out members.

rebelheart

07-13-06 - K1/K2 AOS/EAD sent

11-04-06 - 2 NOA's transfer to CSC

11-17-06 - "K1 APPROVED AOS" no interview

11-27-06 - "K1 - GREENCARD" rcvd.

01-23-07 - K2 GREENCARD rcvd.

08-20-08 - I-751 sent to Texas Service Center, transfer to VSC

08-26-08 - I-751 NOA1 & 1yr. Extension letter

09-18-08 - I-751 NOA2 - Biometrics Appointment Notice

03-11-09 - I-751 transfer from VSC to CSC!

05-13-09 - I-751 APPROVED

06-24-09 - card production ordered

08-20-09 - N400 - Citizenship Application

08-24-09 - NOA notice date

08-28-09 - NOA in mailbox

09-10-09 - email asking for more evidence

09-14-09 - Biometrics NOA date

09-18-09 - Biometrics Letter arrived in mailbox

10-09-09 - Biometrics Schedule

10-14-09 - Notice date of the yellow letter

10-30-09 - touched online for "testing & interview"

11-03-09 - IL received in mailbox

12-07-09 - "PASSED" Interview & it's my Hubby Bday too!

04-17-10 - Oath letter received in mailbox

05-14-10 - Judicial Oath atlast! in Atl

110 days - Application to Interview

158 days - Interview to Judicial Oath

268 days - Total processing days for my N400

Timeline
Well since Nebraska doesn't adjudicate I-129Fs anymore, you can be just like a regular petitioner! Good luck.

Yup!

Timeline

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

Timeline
Careful everyone, she may be a spy!! :D

I'm a guy and the DHS has more important things to do than hang out in websites like this . Besides that the databases we used could glean more information about you than you could/would ever divoulge on VJ! Sorry, I'm not a spy.

I hope your comment was tongue in cheek :)

D.

Timeline

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.