hubbardude

Please, just give me the answer!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

My brain hurts from reading immigration information, so I figured I'd just ask.

My wife will enter the US on a CR1 visa. We got married in January and filed in Santiago Chile. Her interview is March 21st. So I guess we'll have to file for adjustment of status, but, will she be able to work in the meantime? Does she just need her SS# or does she have to wait until the adjustment of status is completed? Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

If you filed the K3 visa that shows under your name your wife will enter the country and have to file AOS before she can work.

If you filed and get an approved CR1 visa once she comes into the states and gets her social security card she can then work once she receives it. You then would file to lift conditions after 21 months time.

Was not sure of the exact visa you applied for. :time: This would help anyone trying to give you some advice. Good luck.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My wife will enter the US on a CR1 visa. We got married in January and filed in Santiago Chile. Her interview is March 21st. So I guess we'll have to file for adjustment of status, but, will she be able to work in the meantime? Does she just need her SS# or does she have to wait until the adjustment of status is completed? Thanks.

Do you mean she is entering on a K3 visa? Because a CR-1 visa does not require an adjustment of status, she will arrive as a permanent resident and receive her green card in the mail. If indeed it is a CR-1, she will also be able to work once she arrives.

Do you mean you got married in January 2005?

CR1/IR1.......can work straight away, cards will arrive in the mail........

K3 if you intent to AOS in the US then you should file AOS & EAD(work authourization)....... :yes:

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

We filed for the CR1 visa. I submitted the I-130, Affadavit of support, biographic info sheet, etc. I just wasn't sure what the difference between a CR1 and an IR1 is besides that they give you a different one based on if you've been married for less or more than 2 years. We got married in January of this year in Chile. I was in Chile with her but I had to come back to the States for work. So I guess all I have to do is get her a SS # once she gets here. I'm trying to find out right now what else she/we have to do once she gets here. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

If you filed the K3 visa that shows under your name your wife will enter the country and have to file AOS before she can work.

If you filed and get an approved CR1 visa once she comes into the states and gets her social security card she can then work once she receives it. You then would file to lift conditions after 21 months time.

Was not sure of the exact visa you applied for. :time: This would help anyone trying to give you some advice. Good luck.

Mary

He did mention in his post what visa they have :unsure: .....

hubbardude, when your wife gets here.. I would suggest waiting a few weeks and then going to your local SSN office to apply for a SSN # for her... it should take about a week after that to get her SSN card... she can still work before then if the employer allows it and is aware that the SSN number is on its way...

not much else you have to do... you will not need to apply for AOS... but in 2 years less 3 months you will have to lift the conditions off her green card....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

hubbardude

As others have said there is no AOS when one enters on a CR-1....Its the biggie (Green Card). The only thing you need is the SSN. Have a read of the below link for detailed info regarding this.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2500

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's very important that you and your wife understand her new status in the US!

A CR-1/IR-1 Immigrant Visa entrant becomes a Permanent Resident upon entry to the US.

Note: If you have been married for less than 2 years when you enter the US, your Permanent Resident status has “conditions”. A CR-1 PR is no less a PR than anyone else, but they do have an additional step to take 2 years after they enter the US. Please see the Guides for Removal of Conditions (form I-751).

I recommend the following reads to anyone who is becoming a Permanent Resident, so you can better understand your rights and responsibilities.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

Welcome to the United States:

A Guide for New Immigrants

http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/imm_guide.htm

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

Permanent Residents may live and work in the US and may travel internationally without additional documents.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.