shayrene

Interview experience at Paris embassy

8 posts in this topic

Hello Vjers,

I wanted to post our experiences to help others as you have helped us through this process.

Background

Fiance is a French national, but his citizenship is in Togo. We applied in March and our case got recalled in the IMBRA fiasco. Timeline below:

Medical

Fiance did the medical the day before the interview. It is best to do it then so that you can have your results and plus it is alot of running around to different offices. The doctor's office, the place to get the x-ray, the place to get your blood drawn. He returned that afternoon to get his results. The fee was 160 euro and not the 150 euro that was on the embassy letter. He also did his vaccinations earlier. (He did not have his vaccination records so took them all over again) You will need tetanus and MMR (ROR in French)

Interview

My fiance and I arrived at the Paris embassy at 12:40 for his 1 pm appointment. They do not allow anyone in until 1 pm. (All K-1/K-3 interviews are on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 1) We went through security where they take your cell phone and return to you after your interview. There were not alot of people there on this day. My fiance went up to the window to ask a question as to where to go. They told him that they will call everyone up to the window. (Since he was there first, his name was the first to be called).

He went to the first window where they inspected his documents. It really helped that I was there. They asked me for my financial papers. I told them I had the I-864 and the I-134 and which did she prefer. (My fiance's appointment letter requested the 864, which was different from others who had gone through Paris). I gave her the I-134. She gave us back alot of the papers that were extra. She asked me if I had my employee id on me. I did not, it was in my baggage back at the apartment. She also asked me if there was anything else I wanted to add. She did not look at any of our proof of a relationship documents. I guess because I was there.

She asked about the police certificates and the letter of intent to marry. We had prepared 2 letters. She took the one from me to update the old one she had from the first approval. However, she wanted the piece of paper that was included in packet 4 of the letter of intent. (which of course we didn't have). She went to the back and brought another one for him to sign. (BTW it looked just like the letter we prepared)

We went to our seat and waited for him to be called for the interview portion. FI went up to the window alone. They asked him these questions:

How and where did we meet?

What do I do for a living in the US?

What do you do for work in France?

Will your children be coming with you?

The CO called me up and asked me what I did for a living, where we met and how was I going to do since my fiance smokes. (Very weird that everyone asked about his smoking and living in the US as a smoker. They also asked this question at the medical and at the first window at the embassy)

We had gotten the Chronopost envelope that the embassy needed to mail your visa back to you. But it was the wrong size. You need the 2 Kilo envelope with the padding. The CO said that we were approved and to bring back another envelope. My FI did not hear this. When we left the embassy to go to the Post to get the envelope, he hadn't realized that we were approved. When we went back to the embassy and gave the envelope to the first lady, she said we would have our visa in 2 days. That was what my FI needed to hear. :dance:

USA Arrival, JFK POE

Visa arrived in 2 days with the passport, a sealed envelope, and the documents from the K1 petition. His brother and sister could not sign for it, he had to pick it up himself from the Post. We left for JFK on Tuesday on different flights. (Air France was tripping on the price of a last minute ticket, so he flew AA and I was on Air France). He purchased a round trip ticket on AA to JFK and a one way ticket to DC for 3.5 hours later. The POE was quick and he had a long time to wait after this. He said that JFK immigration is very efficient. They let him know where to go from the time he stepped off the plane. They took him to a small office. They informally asked him about me while they processed the paperwork. For example, When we would be married? They also asked him why he came through JFK if Baltimore is his final destination. He showed them his flight info for his connecting flight, which was sufficient. They gave him the work permit stamp on the I-94 in his passport. The immigration/customs took less than 30 minutes.

Hope this helps! Things to remember. Relax! Be patient! Be calm and don't look nervous. I wished we had purchased his tickets earlier so that we could be on the same flight and just changed it later if need be. But I am happy that we are finally together.

Now the long road ahead to AOS/EAD/AP.

K-1 Journey

3/09/06 K-1 petition sent to Vermont

3/22/06 NOA1 received

4/17/06 NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/21/06 NVC received/ Sent to Paris

5/06 returned to NVC, je ne sais pas pour quoi

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

7/11/06 RFE received at VSC

8/18/06 NOA 2 Reapproved!!!!!!

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

11/29/06 Interview/ APPROVED!!!!!

12/05/06 US arrival JFK POE

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/20/07 SSN card received in mail

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/3/07 I-485 and I-765 sent

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/15/2007 EAD production of card

6/24/2007 EAD received

6/27/2007 AOS approved!!!!

7/2/2007 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/14/07 Baby Arrives 7:44pm

11/03/07 "It's a Family Affair" wedding

I-751

4/28/09 mailed to Vermont

5/11/09 receipt letter, I-751 received by VSC

6/12/09 biometrics Baltimore

8/4/09 approval letter

8/11/09 email, card will be sent within 30 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Congratulations and best wishes for the next steps in your journey.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Congratulations! I'll give this link to my fiance so he can read it, he's been asking me questions about the France side of things lately. I'm glad to read about the JFK experience, too, as his POE will be JFK. I really wish I could be there for the interview with him, but I don't think I'll be able to. :( Anywho. Congrats, and thank you for posting this!

Edited by Angilla

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

:dance: :dance: :dance: Congratulations to you both Shayrene, I am happy to hear that your interview was a success. I thought it was a bummer that you were not able to take the same flight back together but, I see you made it pass that. I wish you luck with the next steps in the process.

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.