33 posts in this topic

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Thanks Raj0000.

Anyone know if it is possible to file DCF at Delhi before 90 days of USC stay?

Hypothetical situation;

Indian national man in US on a B1/B2. Marries his USC GF in US . USC GF(now wife )applies for an Entry visa(long term visa) at Indian embassy in US

on the basis of wife of an Indian national. USC wife enters India on the long term entry visa with his Indian

national husband. After entering India she right away registers with FRRO and gets a resident permit.

With this resident permit she files DCF right away at US embassy in Delhi. Resident permit in India, as the embassy states is enough to file DCF at Delhi.

Anyone think this is possible? Or there could be problems with this?

I am hard pressed for time so I am looking for ways to substantially reduce that minimum 90 day USC residency period in Delhi.

Any experiences on what is the total time period from I-130 filing to visa in hand at Delhi?

aprox. time 3 months after filing DCF.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

90 days is NOT the only requirement. I doubt Delhi is going to go for any shortened time, based on past performance, but you're certainly welcome to have at it.

Have your USC read the following carefully--the devil is in the details:

http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/uscisi130pet.html

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I just filed my I 130 at Delhi. The rule is more strict for the 90 days than the FRRO. In fact - the FRRO would not let me register with a tourist visa, said i had to change to X visa. SInce this would take so long....i called the embassy and got to speak to someone. they said i qualified since i have been here for longer than 90 days.

FUnny thing is that when we got the embassy - even the security guards ask you - do you have FRRO? I said no, but i already spoke with (name of guy i spoke to) and he said i could apply. THen after getting the back room (CIS area) the lady came out 2 times and reminded everyone they need this FRRO.

When i got to the window i told her i idnt have it but i spoke with so and so and they said i qualifed. She said yes, you have been here more than 90 days (she was looking at my papers).

so ---- to those of you trying this the length of time is more important than anything else. I had no FRRO certificate. ANd all my bills i put in the packet, she just gave them back to me. she gave me back my 2nd copy of the packet i made as well.

SInce i was last in line i got to watch about 6 other couples. Many did not have FRRO. Many were here less than 90 days. Everyone less than 90 days was sent packing.

sam

My question to those who have done DCF Delhi

DO they send you a paper with your case #?

she gave me the Packet 3 while we were at the window. but, she didnt give me a case#. wheni looked at the papers we have to enter the case #. where does it come from? my only guess was that they send it to us later?

she actually never said at the window "your approved" but she sent us to pay the $190 fee which i assumed meant i was approved.

anyone have info for me?

sam

Summer 2005 Met in Delhi

Oct 2006 Married in Delhi

Apr 2007 Manu Arrives in the US

Sep 2008 Our son is born

Jun 2009 Removal of conditions (approved in 2 months!)

Dec 2010 Many Becomes citizen!

Aug 2011 Son #2 is born!

Nov 2012 Mom Immigrated

Jan 2012 Waiting for dad...

Thanks a lot for that information.

Since you did DCF at Delhi, did your Indian spouse get the police certificates from Delhi too?

I wish to know about obtaining DISTRICT police certificate in Delhi.

Hi

I just filed my I 130 at Delhi. The rule is more strict for the 90 days than the FRRO. In fact - the FRRO would not let me register with a tourist visa, said i had to change to X visa. SInce this would take so long....i called the embassy and got to speak to someone. they said i qualified since i have been here for longer than 90 days.

FUnny thing is that when we got the embassy - even the security guards ask you - do you have FRRO? I said no, but i already spoke with (name of guy i spoke to) and he said i could apply. THen after getting the back room (CIS area) the lady came out 2 times and reminded everyone they need this FRRO.

When i got to the window i told her i idnt have it but i spoke with so and so and they said i qualifed. She said yes, you have been here more than 90 days (she was looking at my papers).

so ---- to those of you trying this the length of time is more important than anything else. I had no FRRO certificate. ANd all my bills i put in the packet, she just gave them back to me. she gave me back my 2nd copy of the packet i made as well.

SInce i was last in line i got to watch about 6 other couples. Many did not have FRRO. Many were here less than 90 days. Everyone less than 90 days was sent packing.

sam

she gave me the Packet 3 while we were at the window. but, she didnt give me a case#. wheni looked at the papers we have to enter the case #. where does it come from? my only guess was that they send it to us later?

she actually never said at the window "your approved" but she sent us to pay the $190 fee which i assumed meant i was approved.

anyone have info for me?

sam

Hi

sam

anyone have info for me?

sam

Congrats on successful filing. In most cases, acceptance of DCF with 190 $ fee means approval....so, as in most cases, your case must be approved to proceed further....

She didnot give us pack-3 when we filed..may be bacause our jurisdiction is mumbai...but I am sure pack-3 will come later in mail with CASE NO on it....usually you shd reced within a month.....(Its been exact month for us but mumbai being slow we havnt recd pack-3 yet....but heard Delhi is fast!!!!)

At the end, did you ask lady...such as how long the process takes...what's next etc ??

Hang in there...good luck.............

Hi

sam

anyone have info for me?

sam

hey sam

we filed last month, and they haven't sent us a case number yet. i sent back the packet 3 without mentioning a case number (left it blank). I haven't recived my packet 4 yet, but i confirmed on email and phone that my interview is in december!

Hi

Kind_Heart - havent done the police certificate yet since its not required until the next step. BUT - will get to working on that and let you know what i find out. will post in here so just keep an eye out.

Raj - i did ask the lady how long we would hear etc. She said it takes 2-4 months for the interview date from the time the papers are submitted. but - that was with delhi. dont know anything about mumbai. and since she gave me the papers - i dont have to wait a month for packet 3.

Kaur - whats the date you filed in Oct? whats the date you filed your packet 3? and whats your Interview date? just curious the timeline as i am very anxious (i know im preaching to the choir in here!) did you have to requset the interview date OR was that automatically scheduled by the emabassy?

Thanks Guys - its soo nice to have a group to converse experiences with.

sam

Kind_Heart - I just spoke to my HUSBAND :-) he says the police certificate is done at the passport office. you drop off your passport in the morning and they run a report from the police. you pick it up in the evening. he says he had to do this once before for something else but its the same report.

but you know that the police report is not required for the I130 filing. its required for the 2nd step.

sam

Summer 2005 Met in Delhi

Sep 2008 Our son is born

Aug 2011 Son #2 is born!

Nov 2012 Mom Immigrated

sam,

I filed on Oct 13, got packet 3 at the same time, mailed packet 3 on nov 3, and then i emailed and called up the embassy on nov 16 - they told me that packet 4 has been sent, and that i m scheduled for interview on dec 12 :)

kindheart - sorry i missed the question on the police certificate

i read the instructions and now see that the passport office certificate AND something from police dept is required.

my best guess is a vist to the police dept and a bit of cash will do the trick. this seems to work well in india.........

Kaur

Did you do the 864 or 134 papers?

the packet 3 includse 134 instructions - but not 134 form

it has the 864 included.

also - do you know what triggered your interview date being scheduled?

did you have to do anything to request it?

im wondering if its scheduled after I130 filing or after filing your packet 3.

sam

Summer 2005 Met in Delhi

Sep 2008 Our son is born

Aug 2011 Son #2 is born!

Nov 2012 Mom Immigrated

Hypothetical situation;

Indian national man in US on a B1/B2. Marries his USC GF in US . USC GF(now wife )applies for an Entry visa(long term visa) at Indian embassy in US

on the basis of wife of an Indian national.

Kind_heart

i read the post some more and caught something i think you might want to check on. I am fairly certain that if you want to apply DCF at Delhi, you have to have married in INDIA. you cannot apply DCF if you married elsewhere.

My husband and I went to thailand in august and nearly got married there. only thing that stopped us was reading someplace that we couldnt apply dcf if we did so. but i cant find that info again - i just went looking for it.

I think you should email delhi and ask them, im 99% sure on this one.

sam

Summer 2005 Met in Delhi

Sep 2008 Our son is born

Aug 2011 Son #2 is born!

Nov 2012 Mom Immigrated

ManuNSam,

Thanks for your replies.

I have plans to get married in Delhi now.

Just getting ready with all the info well ahead of time.

I know about the passport office certificate but I am thinking about the local police certificate to be obtained from the police station in the area of our residence. I'd appreciate if you can post his experience when your husband gets his.

Hypothetical situation;

on the basis of wife of an Indian national.

Kind_heart

i read the post some more and caught something i think you might want to check on. I am fairly certain that if you want to apply DCF at Delhi, you have to have married in INDIA. you cannot apply DCF if you married elsewhere.

My husband and I went to thailand in august and nearly got married there. only thing that stopped us was reading someplace that we couldnt apply dcf if we did so. but i cant find that info again - i just went looking for it.

I think you should email delhi and ask them, im 99% sure on this one.

sam

• 3 weeks later...

KIND_HEART and For all those searching for how to get police clearance certificates in delhi (other than from passport office)

you dont go to the district police office - although you need clearance from the district police office.

you have to go to the Deputy Commisioner of Police for your District

Take iwht you the documentation from the embassy that you need a police clearance certificate for immigration, a copy of your passport, and proof of residence.

The paper you complete with them, goes to the district police office.

then the district police officer comes to your neighborhood/house, does his routine, and then sends the form back to the Deputy Commisioner.

then you go pick it up

we havent gotten ours back yet - but they told us a week.

In order to know we were supposed to go to the Deputy Commissioner, we had to call my husbands AUnt that lives in Canada. She used to be a police officer here in India, so she called her friend here which she used to work with, who in turn called another friend. I dont know how other people in the past have figured this out.

sam

Summer 2005 Met in Delhi

Sep 2008 Our son is born

Aug 2011 Son #2 is born!

Nov 2012 Mom Immigrated

Thanks ManuNSam. This is surely invaluable piece of info.

KIND_HEART and For all those searching for how to get police clearance certificates in delhi (other than from passport office)

you dont go to the district police office - although you need clearance from the district police office.

you have to go to the Deputy Commisioner of Police for your District

Take iwht you the documentation from the embassy that you need a police clearance certificate for immigration, a copy of your passport, and proof of residence.

The paper you complete with them, goes to the district police office.

then the district police officer comes to your neighborhood/house, does his routine, and then sends the form back to the Deputy Commisioner.

then you go pick it up

we havent gotten ours back yet - but they told us a week.

In order to know we were supposed to go to the Deputy Commissioner, we had to call my husbands AUnt that lives in Canada. She used to be a police officer here in India, so she called her friend here which she used to work with, who in turn called another friend. I dont know how other people in the past have figured this out.

sam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.