356 posts in this topic

Below you will find the link to the original Italia threads which have been archived and can be viewed at any time. They are now closed threads.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.php?showtopic=33207

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all, I replied to dmencaroni in the original thread, but it looks like it got erased, so here's a recap. ...

My mood has been lifted so greatly now that the interview dates have "come down". Antonio will be coming *straight* to the US on the 12th. We're planning a trip to Jamaica for the end of February, so we've also got that to look forward to.

We'll pursue AOS in the States, because Antonio doesn't want to do another interview alone. (I swear, I've never met someone who hated bureaucracy sooo much. Especially someone who served in the military.) I think the Detroit office has a 5-6 month turnaround time. ...

Hey D, I like your job-hunting motivation! To me, that's really the best thing about the CR-1 -- you can hit the ground running when you get here. If I had patience (and I think my last post adequately demonstrated that I do not), I would have Antonio wait in Italy for that visa, but this forced separation has really drained me. ... Are you getting your Italian degree(s) assessed by an international degree assessment company? For anyone else on the list who has used their degrees in the US, did any jobs request certification of them? ...

You will never grow old to me, or die, or be lost in any way.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi Kaalyx!

Well this forum crash really sucked!

Anyway, I didn't have luck with the Consulate so I called the other number you provided...it was cheaper to call the US than Naples anyway. I was told that my case wasn't in their system yet although they'd have received by now (it was sent out on the 11th). What really shocked me is that the operator told me that it can take up to 4 months to have the interview (!!!!) :crying: I'll keep calling them next week and will keep you posted!

I went to law school in the US (LL.M.) + passed the NY bar exam so I hope this will give me some chance to find a job w/o the need to asses my Italian degree or go back to school....it's tough but since the economy is slowly getting better I'm hopeful.

Ciao a tutti and have a nice weekend.

D

Ula (NYC - USA) & Daniel (Florence - Italy)

----------------------------------------------------------

(see my profile for detailed timeline)

VSC Timeline (days from filing)

9/16/2005 - I-130 sent to VSC

10/17/2005 - PETITION APPROVED (31)

NVC Timeline (days from filing/days at NVC)

10/27/2005 - NVC rec'd and assigned case # (41/1)

01/06/2006 - CASE COMPLETE (111/71)

01/11/2006 - Case forwarded to Consulate in Naples (116/76)

US Consulate in Naples - Italy (days from filing)

04/03/2006 - Medical exam (198)

04/04/2006 - Interview and visa granted - JOURNEY'S OVER (199)

Filed: Timeline

Hello guys,

good to see this thread is still there...not very much alive, but at least there.

I was sorry to hear it was hard for you guys to get through to the visa dept., for us it was always very easy...maybe they secretly read VJ and we got caught. :P It always worked for us...btw congrats on your interview Kaalyx, that part is going to be really easy you'll see.

Also have fun in Jamaica!!! :dance: Post pics.

What really shocked me is that the operator told me that it can take up to 4 months to have the interview (!!!!) I'll keep calling them next week and will keep you posted!

Daniel,

this sounds a bit too much even for Naples...if I were you I'd keep trying the 081 #, NOT the other crazy expensive one, eventually you'll get through and once you get a person it gets easy. BTW good luck with everything!

As for me, I finally started packing my hospital bag...I'm not quite done yet, but I am getting there :D Yesterday night we decided the take-me-home outfit for Sean plus another couple of things, I washed them all so now they are ready to be packed as well. Better be prepared, also because I started having contractions everyday now, not painful yet (most of the times) but most definately a sign that my body's in training for the real thing...I'm very excited but also nervous/scared as well...I guess it's normal. And on saturday, since I end my 36th week and enter the 37th, my baby is considered "full term!!! :dance:

Anyways...I'm off to do some stuff around the house...

Have a great day everyone! (F)

As for me, I finally started packing my hospital bag...I'm not quite done yet, but I am getting there :D Yesterday night we decided the take-me-home outfit for Sean plus another couple of things, I washed them all so now they are ready to be packed as well. Better be prepared, also because I started having contractions everyday now, not painful yet (most of the times) but most definately a sign that my body's in training for the real thing...I'm very excited but also nervous/scared as well...I guess it's normal. And on saturday, since I end my 36th week and enter the 37th, my baby is considered "full term!!! :dance:

Anyways...I'm off to do some stuff around the house...

:blush: How Sweet! I am so excited for you. I got a little tear in my eye just thinking of it. Best wishes. I can't wait to see pictures of the baby and to hear all the measurements. B) I will pray for you!

No news here other than I am getting into shape. I signed up for the Mini-marathon 13.6 miles in May in Indianapolis. I am doing a training program through the hospital and it is forcing me to workout--because I have had no drive to do it on my own. Maybe I will post pictures of my new buff body when I am done :lol: Glad to see the thread is still around, too :thumbs:

Lifting Conditions- Nebraska Service Center

3-22-2007: Sent out I-751

3-24-2007: Received at NSC

3-27-2007: Official USCIS received date

3-30-2007: Both checks cashed and case number received

4-05-2007: NOA1 received in mail with correct case number

4-05-2007: NOA1 case number works online

4-06-2007: Received Biometrics appointment notice

4-17-2007: Biometrics Appointment and TOUCHED :)

5-02-2007: Greencard expires

Dec 2007: Received extention until Dec 2008

5-09-2008: Card production ordered!! FINALLY!!!

Naturalization!!!!

Finally getting around to N-400... Filed under 5 years of PR status

5-11-2010: Sent out N-400 - Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

5-13-2010: Received at Lockbox

5-25-2010: Checks Cashed :)

5-28-2010: NOA received but case number doesn't work

6-04-2010: Case number works online and says RFE sent 6-2-10

6-07-2010: Received letter for biometrics

6-22-2010: Biometrics appointment

7-24-2010: Received interview letter

8-26-2010: Interview-PASSED!!

9-30-2010: Oath Ceremony Indianapolis

How Sweet! I am so excited for you. I got a little tear in my eye just thinking of it. Best wishes. I can't wait to see pictures of the baby and to hear all the measurements. I will pray for you!

Thank you! (F) I will most definately post pics and all when the time comes.

Good luck with your working out and the marathon...I think I read about it awhile back when you posted a message on VJ. Let us know how it goes. BTW I'm scheduled to attend no marathon but I will still have some serious working out to do as well after the baby comes... :whistle::P

Now I'd better go get stuff done around the house, today they deliver the furniture for the baby's room (even though the crib will actually be next to our bed).

Buona giornata a tutti! (F)

Edited by alexcrv76

Timeline
Anyway, I didn't have luck with the Consulate so I called the other number you provided...it was cheaper to call the US than Naples anyway. I was told that my case wasn't in their system yet although they'd have received by now (it was sent out on the 11th). What really shocked me is that the operator told me that it can take up to 4 months to have the interview (!!!!) :crying: I'll keep calling them next week and will keep you posted!

I wonder how much the operators in DC really know, aside from what appears on their screens. I asked one of them for a direct number to the visa unit in Naples, and she gave me the phone number for the Florence consulate! In any case, it is likely true that the case isn't in their system (since that appears on the screen), but wow, what is the hold-up? Maybe it's Diversity Lottery time.

I went to law school in the US (LL.M.) + passed the NY bar exam so I hope this will give me some chance to find a job w/o the need to asses my Italian degree or go back to school....it's tough but since the economy is slowly getting better I'm hopeful.

If you've passed the NY state bar, there's no stopping you! Being one of the hardest bar exams in the nation, that's really no small thing! Congratulations, and I really think job-hunting with such excellent credentials should a lot of fun. ... My husband was trained as an microeconomist, but now wants to leave academia and use those skills to enter the business world. Maybe work as a financial analyst. :crying: What is the Italian equivalent of an American MBA in Italy? Hopefully, we'll be able to spin his previous work on "environment product declaration" into something relevant to the real world. :lol:

Better be prepared, also because I started having contractions everyday now, not painful yet (most of the times) but most definately a sign that my body's in training for the real thing.

Alex, wow, time really is flying by. I had no idea that women started contractions (on even a small scale) so early. How interesting to feel your body moving towards the moment of birth. ... One question: do you think you'll have your husband in the delivery room with you? ACTUALLY, don't answer that (cos it's a little personal), but how much do you wish your mom/sis/friends could be with you? Is it that important to you? (I just began to imagine how different it would be for me to have a child in Italy. ...) ... It's just that at a dinner party I had a few nights ago, some colleagues and I were discussing "folk" conceptions of medicine. I said that I would never have my husband in a delivery with me, which really shocked people as old-fashioned and unfeminist. I think I'd prefer him outside chain-smoking while my mom, sis and midwife/doctor stayed with me! LOL! To me it seems like a woman's space and moment. ... I'm sure some of my ideas are culturally determined. But I'm curious: What are predominant Italian traditions about people present at childbirth? Antonio's mother had her first 2 kids at home, but her 3rd and last (Antonio) was born in a hospital. At home, only women were around her; and I don't know what it was like at the hospital. ...

Alex, wow, time really is flying by. I had no idea that women started contractions (on even a small scale) so early. How interesting to feel your body moving towards the moment of birth. ... One question: do you think you'll have your husband in the delivery room with you? ACTUALLY, don't answer that (cos it's a little personal), but how much do you wish your mom/sis/friends could be with you? Is it that important to you?

Yep...they are called Baxton Hicks contractions, they start very very early in pregnancy but you don't actually get to feel them until much later, some women actually never even recognize them at all, if you want you can read about it here. They are usually not painful, just a little annoying because your whole belly gets so hard and tense, but some can be a little painful at times.

To answer your questions...yes, I most definately want my husband in the delivery room with me, it's his child as well! :P I will do all the hard work I know, but if one day you decide to have kids and go to birth classes, you'll be amazed to discover how important it actually is to have him there with you as a coach, unless of course you'll decide to have someone else as your coach, that's up to you. I might be wrong of course, but somehow I think that when your time comes to be pregnant and all, you'll change your mind about having him there. :yes: BTW I was surprised as well to hear you wouldn't want him there, I never really met anyone who told me that before. :P

About your other question...I don't have sisters (just a younger brother) but it really sucks that my mom won't be able to be there. I try not to think about it, but I really wish she could be, once you get pregnant and start thinking about the whole motherhood thing in a very real way...you understand so much more about how important your mom/parents are. You never really stop needing them, no matter how old you are, and especially for something so important as becoming a mother yourself...might sound lame I know, but I truly feel that way. I am going to deliver in a hospital that have suites so you can actually have as many people as you want in there, I think my husband and my mom would be the 2 people I would want there. I wish my dad could be there as well, not in the delivery room, but I wish he could be right outside and get in after the baby is born. As I said, I try not to think about it...it's the price you pay for living so far away from each other, you can't have it all.

From what I know, in Italy it is pretty much like here: it is usually the husband that is in the delivery room with you, I am not sure about other people or if they are even allowed in there, then again I don't have many friends who had kids yet so I really wouldn't know for sure.

I'm off now, my back can only take so much sitting in front of the computer these days... :dead:

And speaking of pregnancies...my best friend is 10 weeks pregnant too, this morning she called me because her younger sister just took the test earlier and she is expecting as well! And another dear friend of mine had her first u/s this morning (Italy time) and she found out her due date is august, 13. Sooo many babies!!!! Time for other couples in this thread to start as well.... :whistle:

Edited by alexcrv76

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi guys. I'm so excited that baby Sean is so close. I saw his u-sound photos on the old forum -- precious! Good luck making it through the next few months!

Anna, I'm so proud of you! A mini-marathon?! You couldn't do that if you were still smoking. You go girl!

We have a new puppy. My kids are so happy. I knowo there are so dog lovers here, so I'll post a photo later.

Giancarlo is in Italy visiting his parents now. His dad has his birthday on Sunday, so they're all happy to be together.

Gotta go. Good luck to those of you awaiting your honeys!

Angela (Florida) + Giancarlo (Italy)

Sep 9 01 - First date

Feb 13 04 - Engaged

Feb 20 04 - (day 0) NOA1

Jul 3 04 (day 134) - Received and returned RFE - another copy of divorce decree

Aug 2 04 (day 164) - NOA2!

Aug 9 04 (day 171) - at NVC

Aug 12 04(day 174) - NVC sent to Naples

Aug 23 04 (day 185) - Packet 3

Aug 25 04 (day 187) - Packet 3 returned

Sep 10 04 (day 213) - Packet 4

Sep 27 04 - (day 230) Consulate physical

Sep 28 04 - (day 231) Visa interview successful - he has VISA!

Oct 14 04 - (day 247) He is HOME!

Dec 18 04 - We are MARRIED!

Dec 31 04 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed to Chicago

Jan 5 05 - AOS/EAD NOA1

Jan 8 05 - AP rejection letter received, due to my error

Jan 26 05 - AP NOA1

Feb 18 05 - biometrics appointment & EAD approved online

Feb 26 05 - EAD received

Mar 2 05 - AOS fingerprints processed

Apr 1 05 - AOS NOA2 received! (dated 3-24-05)

Apr 11 05 - AP approved online

Apr 16 05 - AP received

May 5 05 - AOS interview successful

May 13 05 - Green card arrived in the mail

Ahhh~ I WISH :thumbs:

I have to wait. Stefano still says NO NO NO NO. He is worried about financial stuff because I am making more $$$ right now. I hope we are pregnant in the next year or so. Hmmmm. I went off the pill 4 months ago and we are doing Natural Family Planning. It is so cool. I know to the day when I ovulate and when we need to abstain :crying: Honestly, it really isn't bad and it makes the time right after ovulation like a honeymoon every month. :innocent:

Lifting Conditions- Nebraska Service Center

3-22-2007: Sent out I-751

3-24-2007: Received at NSC

3-27-2007: Official USCIS received date

3-30-2007: Both checks cashed and case number received

4-05-2007: NOA1 received in mail with correct case number

4-05-2007: NOA1 case number works online

4-06-2007: Received Biometrics appointment notice

4-17-2007: Biometrics Appointment and TOUCHED :)

5-02-2007: Greencard expires

Dec 2007: Received extention until Dec 2008

5-09-2008: Card production ordered!! FINALLY!!!

Naturalization!!!!

Finally getting around to N-400... Filed under 5 years of PR status

5-11-2010: Sent out N-400 - Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

5-13-2010: Received at Lockbox

5-25-2010: Checks Cashed :)

5-28-2010: NOA received but case number doesn't work

6-04-2010: Case number works online and says RFE sent 6-2-10

6-07-2010: Received letter for biometrics

6-22-2010: Biometrics appointment

7-24-2010: Received interview letter

8-26-2010: Interview-PASSED!!

9-30-2010: Oath Ceremony Indianapolis

Timeline

Hi everyone!

Alex, I totally understand the dependence on mother thing. That's definitely why I want her around. ... As for my husband being in the delivery room, I allow that I could change my mind on that, but right now, I couldn't see that happening. And he and I agree, he thinks I'll do better with the "womenfolk" there. ... Also, I've seen how he handles slightly stressful situations, ie. the visa interview, and I don't want someone easily ruffled there with me (even if I love him to death). My mother is one of is the strongest woman I know. ... I think my dad and Antonio will be happy waiting outside for me :P ... Perhaps your mother can come to visit soon after Sean is born? I hope that can be arranged :star:

ace13, I hope your marathon training goes well. I'm desperately out of shape, and will be starting an exercise regimen with my husband once he gets here. I never last very long, but hopefully this time will be different. So good luck to you! :goofy:

akwalta, your husband seems to be in Italy a lot. What a luxury! B) ... Right now, Antonio thinks he wants to go back to Italy every year for Christmas AND THAT'S IT. I truly think once he gets to the US, he'll change his mind and will desire more frequent trips back to Rome. It's a strange push and pull. I keep trying to encourage him to factor more trips home into our budget, but he always insists "I want to stay with you!" ... I could be too cynical, but my biggest fear when he gets here is that he won't be able to cope with America -- that when he realizes it's not exactly the way it appears in the movies, he'll find it unworthy in so many ways. ...

Timeline

Hi all!!

First of all let me wish good luck to Stefano for his medical exam and interview, I always read on this forum that this is the easiest part of the whole deal so he'll do just fine!!

Secondly, I extend my warmest wishes to Alex and Ace! Can't wait to see little Sean pictures! Hey Ace let us know how the marathon went!

It's so nice to hear you've a new puppy Akwalta! I love dogs so much and so does my wife....the past week however we both suffered since her dog passed away. He was 17 and had heart failure :crying: On the other side, last Friday I passed the Italian bar exam....so I'm (hopefully) over with studying so damn' hard for this crazy test....the "stressest" (made up word I guess) exam I've ever faced... :angry:

It goes w/o saying that I didn't hear from Naples yet....but now that I'm over with books I'll just "bomb" them with calls and faxes.

As for being in the delivery room with my wife...mhmhm....I would want to be there with her but only if she felt comfortable and ok...otherwise I'll stick to what she wants since it's a very delicate and important moment!!!

Have a nice w/e!

D

Timeline
Hi all!!

First of all let me wish good luck to Stefano for his medical exam and interview, I always read on this forum that this is the easiest part of the whole deal so he'll do just fine!!

By 'Stefano', did you mean 'Antonio'? :lol: If so, thanks for the well-wishes! (If not, and there is a Stefano out there waiting for a medical exam and interview, then excuse me for stealing the limelight. ) I'm really not worried, but Antonio has visited a church this morning, called me 5 times between 7am and 5pm (I've called him 4 times, so I'm not much better), gone over the document list twice with me, and requested that I pray for him. Poor fellow. Of all the things to worry about, why this? ... Anyway, I'll be sure to update here when I know the interview outcome.

It's so nice to hear you've a new puppy Akwalta! I love dogs so much and so does my wife....the past week however we both suffered since her dog passed away. He was 17 and had heart failure crying.gif On the other side, last Friday I passed the Italian bar exam....so I'm (hopefully) over with studying so damn' hard for this crazy test....the "stressest" (made up word I guess) exam I've ever faced... mad.gif

Sorry to hear about your and Ula's loss :-( Maybe you two can get a new dog when you move here? ... New babies and new puppies, what a year it will be for the Italian VJers :-) ... As for passing the Italian bar, wow! I used to think that I wanted to go into international law, because I loved studying languages and politics and the profession seemed to have a glamorous, "corporate law" aspect to it. Anyway, I'm now an academic (medieval literature), and it seems to suit me. ....

Ciao all,

K

Timeline

OMG! K I'm sorry I messed up names! I was and still am so tired and my brain is so spaced out about the exam that I'm doing so many silly things lately!! :blush:

I'll write more tomorrow as now I want to hit the sack!

Ciao!

Timeline

Antonio got his visa in Naples this morning and just called to let me know :) We're both so pleased. I'm getting plane tickets right now for Sunday.

He didn't tell me much about the medical, only to say that he had to have 2 shots and his arm hurts. :o ... The interview was pretty typical. Antonio said the man who interviewed him was a kind American man. :star: The questions asked were:

1) What work did you do in the military?

2) What work does your wife do at the university?

3) When did your wife start work at the university?

4) Where did you and your wife meet? (in a 3rd country)

5) What were was your wife doing in this country?

6) How long was she there?

7) When did you marry?

8) Your passport has been red-flagged since August 2005. Do you understand why? (He did, because our attorney had done an FOIA request, and I've been in touch with the General Consul of USCIS since I got married.)

Whew, so now I can live again. I have been nervous all morning, which I hadn't expected.

I wish all the best to those coming after us! Daniel and Maria (maria_b84, who was kind enough to contact my husband and offer reassuring words before the interivew) -- may your journeys be as smooth :) And yes, D, I would say it's time to start the paper blitz! (And the Stefano thing was pretty funny. I needed some comic relief that day.) ~Ciao.

post-16060-1139324799.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.