TheZilla

Visiting During I-129F Process

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've posted about this subject before, I apologize for posting again but I'm desperate for some solid answers.

We're trying to find out whether he can visit me here in America for the holidays while our I-129F is being processed.

My fiance and I both have been trying to track down solid answers on this, he even called the U.S. embassy in London. They refused to give any straight answers, the whole sort of "Don't quote me on this" type thing.

They told him he is welcome to try, but that as soon as they swipe his passport, they will see he's the beneficiary of a pending I-129F and may refuse him entry even though his country part of the Visa Waiver Program [they said this even after he told them he'd be bringing proof of ties to England like a letter from employers, proof of obligations, return ticket, etc] . Apparently, on the fear that he and I will marry while he's here.

This is what confuses me, because as far as I can tell he'll need a social security number for us to get married anywhere, and if he doesn't have one, it's not possible ANYWAY. This kind of thing is starting to make me nuts because of how many of these restrictions and rules they have, with so little documentation or HELP for people.

Has anyone from the U.K. visited their fiance during the process? What happens?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to add that I did look through the forums, but found mainly people discussing visiting while going through the K-3, not the K-1, process.

MY TIMELINE:

MAY 2004: Met Online

NOV 2004: Andy's 1st stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

FEB/MAR 2005: Andy's 2nd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

APR/MAY 2005: Andy's 3rd stay with me in Florida, 1 month

OCT 2005-FEB 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 4 1/2 months

* I Proposed on Christmas 2005 & YES!*

MAY-AUG 2006: I stay with Andy in England, 3 1/2 months

AUG 2006: Andy's 4th stay with me in Florida, 3 weeks.

NOV 2006-JAN 2007: Andy's 5th stay with me in Florida, 1 3/4 months

09/05/06: I-129F Packet Sent!!

09/21/06: NOA1 Received.

12/07/06: NOA2 RECEIVED!!! W00t!!!

03/02/07: Sent off final Packet 3 checklist

03/20/07: Received Packet 4 Letter!!!!

INTERVIEW DATE: 04/19/07!!!!

04/19/07 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! APPROVED!!

04/26/07 - Passport w/ visa arrives via courier

Delta Flight arriving with fiance on 05/04/07!!!

05/04/07 - Home at last!!! w0000000t!!

06/01/07 - Our 'first' wedding at the county clerk's office.

09/19/08 - Andy walked out. That total dumb-a$$.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1. My fiance and I both have been trying to track down solid answers on this, he even called the U.S. Embassy in London. They refused to give any straight answers, the whole sort of "Don't quote me on this" type thing.

2. They told him he is welcome to try, but that as soon as they swipe his passport, they will see he's the beneficiary of a pending I-129F and may refuse him entry even though his country part of the Visa Waiver Program [they said this even after he told them he'd be bringing proof of ties to England like a letter from employers, proof of obligations, return ticket, etc] . Apparently, on the fear that he and I will marry while he's here.

3. This is what confuses me, because as far as I can tell he'll need a social security number for us to get married anywhere, and if he doesn't have one, it's not possible ANYWAY.

4. Has anyone from the U.K. visited their fiance during the process? What happens?

1. The Embassy does not deal with Visa issues, the Consulate does, but the POE determines entry anyway so there is nothing that they could say, not their call.

2. Not so sure about them knowing at the POE, but matters not. The presumption on all visitors is to disprove that they have immigrant intent.

3. Wrong, SSN not required to get married in the US.

4. I did, they let me in, I have seen many posts from others who also did. All depends on your individual circumstances.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Hola Boiler - So you're from the U.K. and visited the U.S. during the K-1 process? Did you bring proof of ties back in England, and if so, what? Did you acknowledge the K-1 or did you just tell them you came for a different reason? [tourism, shopping, etc.]?

Also, my fiance has one of the new fangled passports with the little tracker/antenna chip thingy in it. Haven't heard from anyone who came through with one of those yet.

MY TIMELINE:

Yes you can visit the US while your 129F is being processed.

I did 4 times at least (Toronto-San Diego) and for extended periods. I was never questioned when I stated the purpose of my visit was to see my fiancee.

It is a good idea to have documents that show ties to your country of citizenship - letter from employer, house deed etc ... to show you will return home. Though I never bothered.

You eventually get interviewed and cross on the K1 visa. Then you won't be going anywhere outside the US for a while.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi,

When I visited the US from the UK, I was asked who I was visiting and I told them my "Boyfriend" and that was it I was allowed entry despite having the K1 pending. The best thing is to be honest.

Hola Boiler - So you're from the U.K. and visited the U.S. during the K-1 process? Did you bring proof of ties back in England, and if so, what? Did you acknowledge the K-1 or did you just tell them you came for a different reason? [tourism, shopping, etc.]?

Also, my fiance has one of the new fangled passports with the little tracker/antenna chip thingy in it. Haven't heard from anyone who came through with one of those yet.

Edited by spiritee

06/17/06- sent New I-129F petition to VSC.

07/26/06- NOA1

07/07/06- IMBRA RFE sent from VSC

07/20/06- IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/29/06- NOA2

10/17/06- received Packet 3 from London Embassy

10/25/06- Medical

10/27/06- Sent Packet 3

12/13/06- received Packet 4 from London Embassy Interview scheduled for 19th Jan 2007

12/14/06- Emailed embassy to Reschedule interview

01/08/06- received Packet 4 new interview date 26th Feb 2007

Timeline

I get the impression that it will be fine, it really is just that fear of screwing up something this important.

I would think it would be a good thing to acknowledge the pending K-1 visa? Rationally [not that anything in the K-1 process seems all that based in rationale sometimes] I would think it would be obvious that we weren't intending to get married while he's here at Christmas, because that would make no sense if we've filed for the K-1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he'd just get kicked out immediately if we got married without the K-1, right?

I would think it would appear more of a risk if we HADN'T filed already. I might be wrong though.

MY TIMELINE:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I have PM'd you regarding this.

I get the impression that it will be fine, it really is just that fear of screwing up something this important.

I would think it would be a good thing to acknowledge the pending K-1 visa? Rationally [not that anything in the K-1 process seems all that based in rationale sometimes] I would think it would be obvious that we weren't intending to get married while he's here at Christmas, because that would make no sense if we've filed for the K-1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he'd just get kicked out immediately if we got married without the K-1, right?

I would think it would appear more of a risk if we HADN'T filed already. I might be wrong though.

Edited by spiritee

06/17/06- sent New I-129F petition to VSC.

07/26/06- NOA1

07/07/06- IMBRA RFE sent from VSC

07/20/06- IMBRA RFE received at VSC

09/29/06- NOA2

10/17/06- received Packet 3 from London Embassy

10/25/06- Medical

10/27/06- Sent Packet 3

12/13/06- received Packet 4 from London Embassy Interview scheduled for 19th Jan 2007

12/14/06- Emailed embassy to Reschedule interview

01/08/06- received Packet 4 new interview date 26th Feb 2007

Though from a different country, a fellow Canadian was crossing and said that he was visiting his girlfriend and did not mention the pending K-1. (Canada also has the VWP btw.) The officer at the POE was none too pleased and came VERY close to not letting him in because they said that he was lying to them. They were concerned that if he was hiding the fiancee and K-1 portion then he must be hiding other things too.

Other members that have done the Canada-US crossing have reported that it is important to bring ties to your home country. One member also said that being far along in the K-1 process is also a good indicator that you are doing things the right way. They travelled with their correspondence from USCIS/NVC/Embassy to show that they had an interview set up.

Honesty is always the best policy, but you don't have to reveal all if you are not asked for it. They really don't want your life story, you know?

The fact is that nobody can tell you for sure if they wll let your fiance into the US. If you can't go to the UK, best bet is to buy either a refundable ticket or one that he can re-use at a later date. You never know until you try, but it is up to the discretion of every POE CO.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Timeline
I would think it would be a good thing to acknowledge the pending K-1 visa?...Correct me if I'm wrong, but he'd just get kicked out immediately if we got married without the K-1, right?

There is a few threads about it in the UK forum. I personally would not acknowledge it. Need to know basis for information I'd say. Bring lots of proof of ties to the UK.

I believe if he got kicked out he could be facing a 5 or 10 year ban on entering the US, not just deportation. And green card troubles...

This is what confuses me, because as far as I can tell he'll need a social security number for us to get married anywhere, and if he doesn't have one, it's not possible ANYWAY.

Some states require SSNs for marriage, some do not.

Hai,

I'm from Belgium so I don't need a tourist visa either to visit the US. We filed our petition end of june and I'm visiting my fiance since 3 weeks now and I'm planning on staying until the end of november. My POE was Atlanta. They asked me what the reason for my trip was and I told them : visiting my finance. It was no problem at all. I brought paperwork to proof that I was going back to Belgium but didn't even have to show it to them. So I would suggest : go ahaed with your plans. Good luck.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. If you need a SSN to get married and you can't get a SSN until after you're married, then how is this supposed to work?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. You only answer the questions you are asked, never volunteer anything, well a comment about the weather might be OK.

2. I had always said visiting my girlfriend later fiancee, young and nieve and did not realise this could be a negative.

3. Take whatever documentation you have, only show it if asked.

Remember that the answer to "Do you know the time?"is Yes.

If you do.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. If you need a SSN to get married and you can't get a SSN until after you're married, then how is this supposed to work?

There is probably somewhere out in the boonies that knows no better and want a SSN.

But lots of people fly to the US for a wedding, no intention of staying. Some people legally here are not entitled to a SSN, and of course all the people here illegally. They all manage quite fine

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You can apply for a SSN about 2 weeks after arrival(when you are in the system). You don't need to be married to file.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

Filed: Other Timeline

You can apply for a SSN about 2 weeks after arrival(when you are in the system). You don't need to be married to file.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

I can't imagine a SSN requirement for any state. If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected but please provide the name of one state which requires a SSN for marriage. I'm extremely curious.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

I can't imagine a SSN requirement for any state. If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected but please provide the name of one state which requires a SSN for marriage. I'm extremely curious.

i wont list them all, but here's a few:

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/alabama.htm

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/colorado.htm

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/oklahoma.htm

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicen...p/tennessee.htm

I will await your correction!

Edited by devilette

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.