Sockmonkey

OMG! Nearly turned away on visit to UK!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I returned last night from a visit to my husband in England, having flown in via Manchester on Sept 14th.

When I came through passport control, the woman asked me the purpose of my visit, and I told her I was visiting my husband. She asked why we lived apart, and I produced a copy of the NOA-1 from our I-130 and very briefly explained that he was in the process of coming to the US but could not visit me there until his visa was approved, thus I had to visit him instead. She asked how long the visa would take, and I said roughly anywhere from 8 months to one year. She asked if I had proof that I would return to the USA, and I showed her my itinerary e-mail with a return flight dated October 1. She asked me what other proof I had, and I referred her again to the NOA-1. Rather than stamp my passport with the usual 6 month allowance, she handwrote "Subject to depart no later than 2nd October, 2006"! I commented that this was not the usual procedure, and she said that she works for UK Immigrations, not me, and that "things are tightening up". I asked if there was something else in particular that I should bring next time to prove my intent to return to the USA, and she commented that she had considered denying me entry and I would be better off staying home until my husband had his visa! :blink:

W :o T :o F :o !!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, NOTHING about me looks like trouble, and I am always very polite and respectful of the border folks. I have never heard of such a thing happening to anyone here before, and I have never had any trouble on previous visits. I had to share this here, especially since I'm sure a lot of us will be traveling to see our SO's at holiday time. This lady might have just been a total beeyatch, but still, next time I'm bringing a letter from my job and a copy of my lease, along with the most recent case info for our petition/visa....just in case!

It was great to see Richard, though. Goodbye gets harder every time, even though each visit means we are that much closer to the day when we'll be reunited for good. I go back December 14 for three weeks, and I am thankful that we have the resources for me to visit so frequently. Prayers and strength to those who don't have that luxury.

JenM

Edited by Sockmonkey

For CR-1 Process:

CIS

08.17.06 - I-130 mailed to TSC

08.29.06 - NOA-1 generated

09.04.06 - NOA-1 received in the mail from CSC

09.11.06 - *Touch*

09.15.06 - *Touch*

11.01.06 - APPROVED!! [76 days]

NVC

11.20.06 - Case number assigned

11.21.06 - E-mailed Choice of Agent and mailed AOS Bill using James' Shortcuts

11.28.06 - Choice of Agent in NVC system

12.04.06 - IV Bill and I-864 Packet generated

12.06.06 - I-864 mailed using James' Shortcuts

12.12.06 - IV Bill rec'd via USPS and payment sent back to NVC same day

12.21.06 - I-864 in NVC system

12.26.06 - DS-230 generated

12.29.06 - DS-230 mailed using James' Shortcuts

01.08.07 - All paperwork in NVC system.

02.07.07 - Case complete [80 days]. NVC reports our file has left for London

*** Saved total of 29 days using James' Shortcuts***

London Embassy

03.06.07 - Packet arrives with interview date & instructions

04.03.07 - Medical in London - went smoothly

04.12.07 - 10.30 AM Interview at London Embassy - in and out in half an hour!

04.13.07 - Visa arrives at Hubby's home in York, 1.30 PM. WOW!

04.29.07 - Husband arrives in US via Newark. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Wow, that sounds like a scarey experience. I'd have been sweating bullets if something like that happened to me. I hope your other trips go smoother than that. :huh:

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sounds like that lady was being a real #$%^& :blink:

I hope you never have an experience like that again

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not knowing the rules about immigration in the UK, my assumption is visitors have the same requirements as people coming to the US on a tourist visa, namely, to prove that you do not have immigrant intent. Visitors to the US are told to bring as much proof as possible since a return plane ticket does not suffice. Things like a letter from your employer showing the date you are to return, bank account statements, copy of your lease or mortgage - anything that proves you are indeed planning to return to the US. Sounds like they are cracking down and you got very lucky. Next time, bring lots of proof to be safe!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

OMG, "and she said that she works for UK Immigrations, not me, and that "things are tightening up". Ok, that made me laugh. But seriously, how lame! :hehe:

I guess the VWP thing doesn't apply quite so much in this case?

Filed: Timeline
Not knowing the rules about immigration in the UK, my assumption is visitors have the same requirements as people coming to the US on a tourist visa, namely, to prove that you do not have immigrant intent. Visitors to the US are told to bring as much proof as possible since a return plane ticket does not suffice. Things like a letter from your employer showing the date you are to return, bank account statements, copy of your lease or mortgage - anything that proves you are indeed planning to return to the US. Sounds like they are cracking down and you got very lucky. Next time, bring lots of proof to be safe!

Every time I came to the UK prior to immigrating I was grilled. I'm grilled even worse now coming in on permanent resident visas; last time I entered the country I was taken off to the side and questioned for a good ten minutes before they decided to allow me to pass. UK immigration is full of a$$holes.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

I returned last night from a visit to my husband in England, having flown in via Manchester on Sept 14th.

When I came through passport control, the woman asked me the purpose of my visit, and I told her I was visiting my husband. She asked why we lived apart, and I produced a copy of the NOA-1 from our I-130 and very briefly explained that he was in the process of coming to the US but could not visit me there until his visa was approved, thus I had to visit him instead. She asked how long the visa would take, and I said roughly anywhere from 8 months to one year. She asked if I had proof that I would return to the USA, and I showed her my itinerary e-mail with a return flight dated October 1. She asked me what other proof I had, and I referred her again to the NOA-1. Rather than stamp my passport with the usual 6 month allowance, she handwrote "Subject to depart no later than 2nd October, 2006"! I commented that this was not the usual procedure, and she said that she works for UK Immigrations, not me, and that "things are tightening up". I asked if there was something else in particular that I should bring next time to prove my intent to return to the USA, and she commented that she had considered denying me entry and I would be better off staying home until my husband had his visa! :blink:

W :o T :o F :o !!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, NOTHING about me looks like trouble, and I am always very polite and respectful of the border folks. I have never heard of such a thing happening to anyone here before, and I have never had any trouble on previous visits. I had to share this here, especially since I'm sure a lot of us will be traveling to see our SO's at holiday time. This lady might have just been a total beeyatch, but still, next time I'm bringing a letter from my job and a copy of my lease, along with the most recent case info for our petition/visa....just in case!

It was great to see Richard, though. Goodbye gets harder every time, even though each visit means we are that much closer to the day when we'll be reunited for good. I go back December 14 for three weeks, and I am thankful that we have the resources for me to visit so frequently. Prayers and strength to those who don't have that luxury.

JenM

Sounds like she needs to get drunk and maybe even get laid a little.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

JenM

Sounds like she needs to get drunk and maybe even get laid a little.

sure does..the tight azz bitach

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

My hubby had a tough time the last time he came over, he came through Heathrow and they gave him a real grilling, even though he had all the paperwork in his hands showing I had a US visa and that he was coming over to spend Christmas with me and my family, then we were going to back to the US together.

Some immigration officers are too strict.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Honestly, I don't know why we always expect trouble when going into US and think it's absurd if we get a tough time going to other countries. It was unnecessary, but it's not illegal and not any different from the treatment non-americans get when trying to visit the US.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Honestly, I don't know why we always expect trouble when going into US and think it's absurd if we get a tough time going to other countries. It was unnecessary, but it's not illegal and not any different from the treatment non-americans get when trying to visit the US.

I think it's absurd when British immigration officers hassle people just because they can. Ironically enough it's the foreigners who are the real hardasses. I always get more of a grilling from the Asians than I ever do from the native Brits.

The people in Manchester airport are usually grumpy, they gave my SO a hard time the first time he came to visit.

goodbye gets harder every time

Ain't that the truth :(

Glad you got to spend some time with him though!

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

The people in Manchester airport are usually grumpy, they gave my SO a hard time the first time he came to visit.

goodbye gets harder every time

Ain't that the truth :(

Glad you got to spend some time with him though!

Gawd, ain't that the truth; it's as if they think they have something to prove. The toughest time I ever had going through UK immigration is when we took the channel tunnel train back from Paris. You have to pass through passport control at the Gare du Nord and since I'm an American citizen on a resident visa, I got PLENTY of scrutiny. We nearly missed the damn train.

Why is it ok to expect to get a tough time at POE into the US but people are angry and upset when the same thing happens to an american trying to get into the UK....

Check out the UK website that tells you about visiting the UK.... it does say you need proof that you will leave the country at the end of your visit....

We took evidence of our intent to return to the US when we visited the UK just last week... and Yes we were asked to show evidence of our intent to leave.. or should I say my husbands intent to leave as I am a UK citizen....

Sorry you feel you were treated unjustly.... but people entering the US are treated like that and worse every single day....

Kezzie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hear hear, exactly the same thing I said.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY