Ana and Dan

Brasil Consulate I-134 FYI

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ana received her Packet 3 several days ago. Just thought I'd share what one of the forms had to say in regard to the I-134....this has probably been rehashed over and over again, but I learned something new again...the petitioner must prove his/her US citizenship once again....jeez, you would have thunk they would have already established the petitioner was a US citizen in the petition phase....anyway here ya go if you're interested.

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST

This page describes the two most common mistakes that immigrant visa applicants make in preparing for their interviews:

Affidavit of Support I-864/I-134: For many people this is the most complicated part of the immigrant visa process. Please note the the following instructions.

1. The Affidavit of Support must be signed.

2. The person who files the Affidavit of Support must submit the following:

American federal income tax return from the most recent year. W-2 forms are not accepted, nor are the state income tax returns. If the petitioner was exempt from filing the income tax during any year, a letter explaining why must be included. If the petitioner has not yet filed a federal income tax return for the most recent year, then tax return from the last year prior to the most recent year must be submitted and the extension filed for the last year's income tax. A letter confirming the employment of the petitioner, written on the letterhead of the employer. The letter should include dates of employment and current salary. If self-employed, please submit proof of your business. (This is not mandatory, but may be requested.) Proof of citizenship or legal permanent residence. A copy of the American passport or green card will suffice.

3. If the petitioner does not meet the minimum income requirements, a joint sponsor will need to file an Affidavit of Support and all supporting ducuments. However, the petitioner still must file an Affidavit of Support and submit supporting documents even when a joint sponsor is need.

By the following these instructions thoroughly, you will avoid the most common mistakes in the immigrant visa process.

Edited by Ana and Dan

April 1, 2006 - Filed I-129F

April 7, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 – Touched due to transfer to from NSC to CSC.

July 3, 2006 - IMBRA RFE Recieved in mail

July 6, 2006 - IMBRA RFE sent back to CSC

July 14, 2006 - CSC received RFE

July 15, 2006 - Touched

August 10, 2006 - Touched

August 11, 2006 - Touched

August 12, 2006 - Touched - Second RFE notice

August 14, 2006 - Touched

August 15, 2006 - Touched

August 19, 2006 - Second RFE arrives

August 20, 2006 - RFE reply

August 25, 2006 - Touched - RFE reply received

August 26, 2006 - Touched

August 28, 2006 - NOA2 approved in 144 days

August 29, 2006 - Touched

September 2, 2006 - Physical NOA2 arrives in mail

September 8, 2006 - NVC receives case

September 13, 2006 - NVC sends case to Rio

September 18, 2006 - Physical notice from NVC arrives in mail

September 18, 2006 - Case arrives in Rio

September 26, 2006 - Packet 3 replied to (before receiving it)

September 27, 2006 - Packet 3 response arrives in Rio

September 27, 2006 - Packet 3 arrives at Ana's

October 6, 2006 - Packet 4 arrives at Ana's

October 9, 2006 - Medical

December 5, 2006 - Interview!!

January 13, 2007 - Getting married in Hawaii!!

Praia_do_Forte_Apr_24_2006054resize.jpg

115511272516511.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Very useful info! Thanks! :thumbs:

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Good to read that. I am a little vague on the details of this I-134 but it's time for me to start working on it!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Silly question, perhaps...but is a tax "return" the same as the tax "transcript"? I just want to be very clear on that.

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Timeline
Silly question, perhaps...but is a tax "return" the same as the tax "transcript"? I just want to be very clear on that.

No, tax returns are the forms filled out and filed (the USC should have copies of that) and a transcript is a summarized form of the information on the tax returns filed.

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions such as those offering mortgages and for applying for student loans.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

As far as our tax forms,

So we are just supposed to send the exact forms - well, copies - of what we sent to the IRS for the last 3 years?

No W-2s...just the what we sent to the IRS, correct?

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline
As far as our tax forms,

So we are just supposed to send the exact forms - well, copies - of what we sent to the IRS for the last 3 years?

No W-2s...just the what we sent to the IRS, correct?

I brought:

- copy of last federal and state tax returns and W-2;

- bank statement;

- letter of employment + pay stubs.

They kept the last tax returns and the W-2 and everything else was given back to me. No need to bring the copies of tax returns filed in the last 3 years, just the latest tax returns. According to the instructions, only the federal tax returns are needed though.

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

The letter that was received above read:

"American federal income tax return from the most recent year. W-2 forms are not accepted, nor are the state income tax returns"

Does this mean that the W2s are not accepted in place of the tax returns?

It also says not to send state tax returns.

However, I should send them?

I only have state taxes from when I lived in New York because Florida doesn't do that.

I can send a bank statement showing when I opened my account and how much money has flowed through there since, correct?

How many pay stubs and why did you have them? More proof?

I was going to include a letter about why I made less money in the past (because I was a college student and living in Brasil) vs why my income is more now.

What you said was very different from what that letter states..

How come?

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline
The letter that was received above read:

"American federal income tax return from the most recent year. W-2 forms are not accepted, nor are the state income tax returns"

Does this mean that the W2s are not accepted in place of the tax returns?

It also says not to send state tax returns.

However, I should send them?

I only have state taxes from when I lived in New York because Florida doesn't do that.

I know. The way I understand it, W-2s are not accepted in place of tax returns. Others will disagree.

I don't know if you should send state returns, I brought them with me because my fiance had sent them to me and the federal and state returns, and the W-2 were stapled together. And they kept everything. I wouldn't worry about the state returns, though.

I can send a bank statement showing when I opened my account and how much money has flowed through there since, correct?

How many pay stubs and why did you have them? More proof?

Yes, correct. You can send a bank statement - as per I-134 instructions. Will the consulate keep it? That's the question. They didn't keep the one I brought.

I had the latest 6 pay stubs attached to the employment letter. They didn't keep any of those.

I was going to include a letter about why I made less money in the past (because I was a college student and living in Brasil) vs why my income is more now.

Some other people have e-mailed the consulate to ask about which supporting documents to bring and they said they should bring the last tax returns. They make a point in having those and they consider them "primary evidence", apparently. Personally, I think it's not the best way to determine whether the petitioner is in a situation to support the applicant, but what do I know? I mean, the petitioner's situation may have changed for the better or for the worse, and that's when the other supporting documents would come into play.

I don't know if they only kept copies of tax returns and W-2 because they showed my fiance was 125% above the poverty guidelines, so they wouldn't even need to see the other documents I brought. Who knows?

What you said was very different from what that letter states..

How come?

Actually, the instructions I got in packet 3 (or 4, can't remember) were different from the one posted here. So, what I did was get all supporting documents mentioned on I-134 (tax returns, bank and employment letter). Also, the consulate has not exactly given consistent answers to people when they e-mail to ask about it. You can try and e-mail them and ask about your specific circumstances. If you didn't make money enought to be 125% above the PG last year (I assumed you were still in college), then they'll either tell you to bring more supporting documents or get a joint sponsor. Or not. I don't think their staff is educated enough on these matters. For example, rlt's called them to know about W-2s and they said that income stated on the tax returns should be identical to the amount on the W-2. So... there you go. They don't even know the difference between salary and income...

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Oh Lord, hahaha

I will just send my tax returns for the last 3 years (my W2s are also stapled to everything) for both federal and state (from NY only). Better to be safe than sorry.

My brother-in-law is an account and he can hook me up with everything.

I will also ask my bank for a statement how much money I've had in my account since I opened it.

I believe that by the the time I need to send my affidavit of support I'll have a tax return showing my current salary. But I will send a letter explaining why the 2 years before that my salary was less - I have proof I was in college and then in Brasil.

My current salary is far enough above the poverty line (which is very low) that I won't need a co-sponsor.

Thanks for your help!

I hope this helps someone else...

Take care.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline

The one thing we all agree on is that only the last tax returns are needed, and not the last 3. But... send them if you'll feel more comfortable.

Also, the instructions posted above say:

2. ... A letter confirming the employment of the petitioner, written on the letterhead of the employer. The letter should include dates of employment and current salary. ...

So... I don't know. They're kind of confused there.

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

I sent 3 years of Tax Transcripts, Last years W-2, Letter from Employer, and 2 Pay Stubs... I'm hoping this will be enough (I didn't do the Bank Letter, because my income is well above the poverty guidelines).

Edited by Erik

3dflagsdotcomusa2fawm8fa.gif 3dflagsdotcombrazi2fawm8bu.gif

NOA1 Date Received - 5/09/2006

Petition Transfered from NSC to CSC - 6/01/2006

Touched - 6/02/2006

Touched - 6/03/2006

IMBRA RFE Received - 06/30/2006 (Dated 06/23/2006)

IMBRA RFE Delivered - 07/01/2006 (USPS Next Day)

Touched - 07/03/2006 (Email saying they sent RFE)

Touched - 07/04/2006

Touched - 07/05/2006

Touched - 07/10/2006 (Recieved RFE Response)

Touched - 07/11/2006

Touched - 07/12/2006

Touched - 07/13/2006

Touched - 08/03/2006

NOA2 Approved - 08/03/2006

Touched - 08/06/2006

NVC Entered Case into System - 08/21/2006

Consulate in Rio de Janeiro confirms receipt - 08/29/2006 (may have arrived sooner, only got around to calling today).

Fiance sent Packet 3 to Embassy (Before she actually received it) - 09/01/2006

Fiance receives actual Packet 3 - 09/06/2006

Fiance receives Packet 4 - 09/22/2006

Medical Scheduled - 11/06/2006

Interview Scheduled - 11/07/2006

Fiance should be on her way to me! 11/10/2006

Visa Approved!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

You guys do all of this stuff from the US? Or Brazil? Where do you submit this exactly? I have these forms in Brazil right now but I will be back in the US when she goes for her visa interview. I would prefer to "file" these myself if I can. Where do I do it?

Thanks! :)

AOS, AP:

02-09-07 - Legally Married

02-20-07 - AOS and AP mailed to Chicago

02-27-07 - NOA1

03-15-07 - Biometrics done

03-19-07 - AP Approved (AP was expedited. Emergency Advance Parole done at the immigration office)

03-26-07 - AOS Interview on 5/17

Advance Parole Approved in under 30 days.

Just under 90 days from AOS filing to AOS interview. Not bad! :)

Timeline
You guys do all of this stuff from the US? Or Brazil? Where do you submit this exactly? I have these forms in Brazil right now but I will be back in the US when she goes for her visa interview. I would prefer to "file" these myself if I can. Where do I do it?

Thanks! :)

The petitioner send I-134 and the supporting documents from the US and the beneficiary brings the documents for the interview, with all the other documents asked for.

Edited by Mew

Timeline (incompleta)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.