Sleepybears

Did you meet any new friends in the US?

59 posts in this topic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope, and my hubby doesn't really have friends.... he is kind of a shy person just like me.... :blush: ....

we are each other's friends :D(L)

awwwwwww.......you are too cute....soon have a new friend tho :lol::lol:

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My fiancee' tagged along with me to meet most of my friends when he was in town on a visit, but I fully expect him to make his own friends among my group and from other places like school and work.

Some things that might help:

- Check out your local park district (they sometimes send out mailers) for programs for adults. See if anything interests you.

- Check out the local library, they sometimes have adult book discussions and groups if that is what you're interested in.

- Take some non-credit courses at a local community college.

- Look for groups and organizations in your area with similar interests.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have made acquaintances among the neighbours, and my husband has actually got to know our neighbours better because of me. Two people I used to know in Canada had moved to Georgia so I re-connected with them when I arrived and we have met socially a few times As well, I have made some friends through work and get together fairly regularly with one of them outside of work. Over Labour Day, our two husbands finally met socially while we all spent the day together at a local attraction. I have also become good friends with the wife of my husband's former boss (he was promoted so is no longer the boss) and we get together with them as well. My husband doesn't have a lot of close friends so he is meeting more people through me than otherwise.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband doesn't have any "real" friends either, except previous co-workers. We get together with 2 couples that my husband used to work with, but only occasionally.

I have met a few of the neighbours, but they are all younger than us, and all have small children (which we don't).

I am looking forward to getting another job soon and maybe getting some girlfriends that way.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Oh Nice to hear that you did meet some friends! I'm here since May and sometimes I feel so bored. Besides I have to learn to drive first before I can go out to meet people. :( And I can't learn to drive until I get my EAD...

Sometimes, I do want to meet some friends of my own here... other than his friends. I just found that it's difficult to be a good friend of his friends.

I've been here two years now, neighbours are mainly old and only summer residents, and though I have been working a year and made some good aquaintances being in a rural area distances between people doesn't help. I also think being older (?!) doesn't help. I can honestly say friends are what I miss most and hubby isn't the most socialable chap so no help there so guess we amuse ourselves :-)

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

what is it with the American halves not having any friends? That's just weird!

My hubby doesn't either, and there's only one person that he hangs out with on an occasional basis. Hubby's not at all sociable, and it drives me absolutely nuts.

I've made one friend since I got here, but she lives half an hour away, and now has no email, and only a cell phone that she doesn't turn on a lot because they can't afford it.

I'm not allowed to talk to people at my new job, (seriously!) so its not bloody likely I'd make any friends there, even if we did have anything in common to talk about.

And one other person I've met since I moved here is another transplanted Canuck, but she's an hour away, so we don't see each other often anymore since we both started working.

People don't seem to be all that socialable down here. So much for Southern Hospitality :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I mostly have my husbands friends as friends, and a few friends we acquired together from the same website we met on (we met on a messageboard for a TV show, so they feel like they played a part in our romance, which they did).

I also have a friend who I went to school with who lives in the next state, however it's a long, long drive, so we've yet to meet up again here. But it's nice to know she's there.

But my closest friend here that I made all on my own is Sanna whom I met here at VJ. :) We've gotten a lot busier recently, due to the arrival of our greencards, so we haven't hung out as much as previously. But we hung out a lot together when we didn't have jobs. We need to catch up again, soon. But I'm sure we will.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My fiancee has met some of my closest friends, and she has made two friends who are also from her home country of Brazil.

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

One word to relieve the boredom.

"Everquest"

You will never be bored again. :)

For those of you that dont know what this is, its an online game that will keep you entertained for years. I played it for about 2 years, then moved on to some other online games like Star wars galaxies and World of warcraft (which i am playing now) but i always go back to everquest. :)

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 They sent I-129F back saying form is outdated

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Nov 28, 2006 NOA2 approved

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 7, 2006 NVC sends letter saying it will be forwarded to manila in a week

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! Cant kick her out now!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline
One word to relieve the boredom.

"Everquest"

You will never be bored again. :)

For those of you that dont know what this is, its an online game that will keep you entertained for years. I played it for about 2 years, then moved on to some other online games like Star wars galaxies and World of warcraft (which i am playing now) but i always go back to everquest. :)

City of Heroes can be a lot of fun too, especially if you like designing costumes!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I told my fiance that I do not have many friends and spend most of my time with family. Wanted to make sure she knew she was not getting a socail butterfly. I am not antisocial but I take friendships very serious and they are a lot of work so I would rather have a few friends I know I can count on without a doubt than a ton of people who I just kind of know.

She seemed fine with it and she gets here I will definately make an effort to get out more with her to help her find as many friends as she wants. I am not going to hold her back from having friends just because I dont have that many, nore do I want that many.

Paul misses Anna

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

if we do go visit people, it is his family... we go see his parents almost every weekend.... I don't mind, I like his parents but it would be nice to visit with people our own age sometimes... although like I mentioned in my ealier post, my hubby and I like to keep to ourselves alot...

although it would be nice to have a t least one girlfriend I could call up and chat/hang out with....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.