7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife's AOS, EAD, SSN Card, DL, Marriage Cert., GC all have her maiden name. We want to change her last name to mine. Where do we start? (this is def. one of my repost)

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
My wife's AOS, EAD, SSN Card, DL, Marriage Cert., GC all have her maiden name. We want to change her last name to mine. Where do we start? (this is def. one of my repost)

Start with the SSN office, get the name change and then go change it on the Driver's Licence(This is the ID)

All other stuff or name change goes onward from there.

N.B-You should have put the new last name on the I-485, EAD forms when initially submitting. I guess you have to wait till the interview with USCIS or when you get your green card to get the name changed.

love conquers all things

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

She will have to wait 'til she applies for N-400 (Naturalization). No other way out.

K-1 Journey....

05/15/2006 - Sent to TSC (Day 1)

05/30/2006 - NOA 1

07/21/2006 - NOA 2

08/23/2006 - INTERVIEW SUCCESSFUL!! (Day 99)[/b]

08/24/2006 - Visa Issued......08/30/2006 --- Visa in HAND !!!

09/02/2006 - REUNITED

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/07/2006 - Married

09/07/2006 - Applied for SSN

09/13/2006 - Picked-up Marriage Certificate's from the COURTHOUSE

09/13/2006 - Vaccinations DONE !!!

09/21/2006 - SSN received

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/21/2006 - Mailed out I-485 Package to Chicago.

10/02/2006 - NOA recevied

10/06/2006 - Letter Received for Biometrics

10/10/2006 - Biometric's Done !!! Appointment for Biometric's originally was on 10/14/2006

10/23/2006 - Case Transfered to CSC

10/27/2006 - Case received at CSC

11/09/2006 - E-mail recevied from CRIS saying AOS Approved and welcome notice mailed.

11/14/2006 - An approval letter mailed.

11/15/2006 - Green Card Received !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2008 - Mailed out I-751 Package to Nebreska. (mail fwd to Cali)

8/21/2008 - Package delivered.

8/25/2008 - Check Cashed/Cleared.

8/29/2008 - NOA Received.

Filed: Timeline

Send form 1-90 with fees to change Greencard to married name... Once you have the new greencard go and get the SSN changed to match new Greencard and also file for new Drivers Licence.

EAD is now void as she has the Greencard so nothing to do there.... AOS records will be updated by I-90.

Marriage Certificate is always in her maiden name... so nothing to do there...

Kezzie

shalz,

Not true.

Yodrak

She will have to wait 'til she applies for N-400 (Naturalization). No other way out.

chuckandkim,

The AOS, EAD, and marriage certificate are all non-issues.

The Green Card will cost $260 for the I-90 filing if you don't want to wait for removal of conditions or card renewal, whichever is applicable to her status.

Check mdyoung's posts regarding SSA requirements for changing the SS card.

Check your state's DMV for their ID requirements.

For anything else, just notify them that your wife is going to start using your surname as her own please change their records, and give them a copy of the marriage certificate as the basis for the change should they ask for it.

Yodrak

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Yodrak,

Thanks for correcting me. I had posted that answer from my past experiences... I was told that this was the only way to have your name changed. But Its good to know there are other ways.

Shalz

K-1 Journey....

05/15/2006 - Sent to TSC (Day 1)

05/30/2006 - NOA 1

07/21/2006 - NOA 2

08/23/2006 - INTERVIEW SUCCESSFUL!! (Day 99)[/b]

08/24/2006 - Visa Issued......08/30/2006 --- Visa in HAND !!!

09/02/2006 - REUNITED

09/07/2006 - Married

09/07/2006 - Applied for SSN

09/13/2006 - Picked-up Marriage Certificate's from the COURTHOUSE

09/13/2006 - Vaccinations DONE !!!

09/21/2006 - SSN received

09/21/2006 - Mailed out I-485 Package to Chicago.

10/02/2006 - NOA recevied

10/06/2006 - Letter Received for Biometrics

10/10/2006 - Biometric's Done !!! Appointment for Biometric's originally was on 10/14/2006

10/23/2006 - Case Transfered to CSC

10/27/2006 - Case received at CSC

11/09/2006 - E-mail recevied from CRIS saying AOS Approved and welcome notice mailed.

11/14/2006 - An approval letter mailed.

11/15/2006 - Green Card Received !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2008 - Mailed out I-751 Package to Nebreska. (mail fwd to Cali)

8/21/2008 - Package delivered.

8/25/2008 - Check Cashed/Cleared.

8/29/2008 - NOA Received.

You can try changing her SSN record with her I-551 card and marriage certificate. Her status will need to be verified and since the married name on the application isn't going to match her I-551 card or SAVE the G-845 will need to be sent and that will slow things down. Does the marriage certificate have her age or date of birth, since it needs that or she will need to come up with an idenity document in the married name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name (surname or family name) as her new last name.

EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she may change her name to Jane Jones.

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband’s last name, accept the marriage document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner’s first names, the bride’s prior surname and husband’s surname.

Note: For a marriage document or marriage record to be acceptable as an identity document it must show, in addition to the applicant’s name, either the applicant’s age, date of birth or parents’ names and the marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets this standard.

D. Examples of Legal Name Changes

4. Name Change to a Name Different From Name on Immigration Document

Monica Mumma Stottlemyer applies for a replacement SSN card in her married name. She:

Completes an SS-5 showing her first name as Monica, her middle name as Mumma, and her last name as Smith;

Completes the other names used field, showing that name as “Monica (first name), Mumma Stottlemyer (last name);”

Signs the SS-5 as “Monica M. Smith;”

Submits a U.S. marriage document showing Monica Mumma Stottlemyer and John Smith married last week (the marriage document shows the dates of birth for Monica and John);

Submits a driver's license with her photograph that shows the name Monica M. Smith; and

Submits a DHS employment authorization card with her photograph and showing her name as “Mumma Stottlemyer, Monica.”

The U.S. marriage document supports the legal name change and is acceptable evidence of identity in both the old name and the new name because it shows biographical data (date of birth) that can be compared to the Numident record. Further, the name to be shown on the SSN card agrees with the name on the additional identity document in the new legal name (the driver's license).

SSA can process the name change request. Process the SS-5 to have the name “Monica (first name) Mumma (middle name) Smith (last name) to be shown in the card and enter “Monica (first name) Mumma Stottlemyer (compound surname) as an “other name used.” The compound surname must be entered the same way it is shown on the immigration document. Advise the NH to also contact DHS to change her surname to “Smith” with that agency.

NOTE FROM ME: Procedure says ADVISE you to report the name change to DHS, not that it must be changed first.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.