Sockmonkey

Of-169 ? And a Q about DS-230 part II

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi. I was just reading the CR-1 Guide and noticed a form Of-169. I don't see that on the State Department web page. What exactly is that form and how do I go about obtaining one?

Also, a question from something I saw on another thread....is the UK one of the places that requires that DS-230 part II be brought to the interview unsigned, or do we send it to the NVC with Part I?

Sorry so many questions today. I lay off for a while and then cover a topic all at once as I get ready to do something with it!

Thanks,

JenM

For CR-1 Process:

CIS

08.17.06 - I-130 mailed to TSC

08.29.06 - NOA-1 generated

09.04.06 - NOA-1 received in the mail from CSC

09.11.06 - *Touch*

09.15.06 - *Touch*

11.01.06 - APPROVED!! [76 days]

NVC

11.20.06 - Case number assigned

11.21.06 - E-mailed Choice of Agent and mailed AOS Bill using James' Shortcuts

11.28.06 - Choice of Agent in NVC system

12.04.06 - IV Bill and I-864 Packet generated

12.06.06 - I-864 mailed using James' Shortcuts

12.12.06 - IV Bill rec'd via USPS and payment sent back to NVC same day

12.21.06 - I-864 in NVC system

12.26.06 - DS-230 generated

12.29.06 - DS-230 mailed using James' Shortcuts

01.08.07 - All paperwork in NVC system.

02.07.07 - Case complete [80 days]. NVC reports our file has left for London

*** Saved total of 29 days using James' Shortcuts***

London Embassy

03.06.07 - Packet arrives with interview date & instructions

04.03.07 - Medical in London - went smoothly

04.12.07 - 10.30 AM Interview at London Embassy - in and out in half an hour!

04.13.07 - Visa arrives at Hubby's home in York, 1.30 PM. WOW!

04.29.07 - Husband arrives in US via Newark. :)

Both your questions are answered in detail here including the UK requirements

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31376

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OF-169 is a check list itemizing what is needed from the immigrant.

Passport, Birth Certificate, Police Certificate, Passport photos, Military Record, Evidence of Support, marriage Certificate, Divorce certificate.

About DS-230 Part II yes you leave it un-signed and bring it to the Visa interview, as noted on the form a consular officer will assist you with it.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Passport, Birth Certificate, Police Certificate, Passport photos, Military Record, Evidence of Support, marriage Certificate, Divorce certificate.

About DS-230 Part II yes you leave it un-signed and bring it to the Visa interview, as noted on the form a consular officer will assist you with it.

Just to clarify.

The DS-2001 (OF-169) is no longer used with CR/IR-1 visas since the visa application process was assigned to NVC.

DS-230 part II when required by certain countries to take to interview, must complete the form up to and including Q34. Q35 will be completed by the conof who will then ask you to sign the form.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Thanks, YuAndDan and Aussie. I'm sorry my question was answered in another post the same day. I try not to do that, but apparently I missed exactly the wrong thread yesterday. This is what I needed. Much appreciated.

JenM

For CR-1 Process:

CIS

09.11.06 - *Touch*

09.15.06 - *Touch*

NVC

London Embassy

Timeline

Oops. One more thing. I see the DS-2001 form is still listed on the UK Embassy website. Aussie, is it that they haven't removed it yet, or does the form still come with the packet /have to be filled in regardless?

Thanks again for your patience.

JenM

For CR-1 Process:

CIS

09.11.06 - *Touch*

09.15.06 - *Touch*

NVC

London Embassy

Sockmonkey,

I'm pretty sure Aussiewench is saying that the DS-2001 form no longer needs to be completed at all.

I'm a little wary of the forms on the Embassy site. The version of the DS-230 they link to is formatted a little differently than the one on the State Dept pages, and has an expiration date of May 2004. The DS-230 on the State Dept site expires July 2007. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to go with the form on the State Dept site.

Alice :thumbs:

Final Timeline

08-21-2006 ... I-130 sent to Texas

05-15-2007 ... My husband arrives in USA with CR-1

Timeline
Sockmonkey,

I'm pretty sure Aussiewench is saying that the DS-2001 form no longer needs to be completed at all.

I'm a little wary of the forms on the Embassy site. The version of the DS-230 they link to is formatted a little differently than the one on the State Dept pages, and has an expiration date of May 2004. The DS-230 on the State Dept site expires July 2007. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to go with the form on the State Dept site.

Alice :thumbs:

Thanks for that information, and congratulations on your first "touch"! :)

JenM

For CR-1 Process:

CIS

09.11.06 - *Touch*

09.15.06 - *Touch*

NVC

London Embassy

Filed: Timeline

Lorelle,

I don't think this is necessarily true. DS-2001, formerly OF-169, serves 3 purposes

- instructions for submitting immigrant visa application documentation to the consulate,

- a checklist of information and documents needed for the visa application, and

- a statement to be signed and returned to the consulate to give notice that the visa applicant has obtained everything necessary and is ready for an interview.

Some consulates use their own customized versions of DS-2001, and some separate the notice of readiness into a separate document that may be designated DS-2001 or may be given a different document number.

The NVC only collects two of the required visa application documents, the DS-230 Part 1 and the Affidavit of Support. There are other documents identified on DS-2001 that the visa applicant still submits directly to the consulate.

Yodrak

Just to clarify.

The DS-2001 (OF-169) is no longer used with CR/IR-1 visas since the visa application process was assigned to NVC.

DS-230 part II when required by certain countries to take to interview, must complete the form up to and including Q34. Q35 will be completed by the conof who will then ask you to sign the form.

Edited by Yodrak

With NVC now taking on much of the application process the system has very much changed. There is no longer the requirement to check off the list and sign it as being ready for the interview which is what the purpose is of the DS-2001. An applicant for the CR-1 no longer has to notify the consulate that they are ready for an interview and have all that is necessary as this happens automatically on case complete at NVC whereby either the NVC or the consulate will schedule the interview depending on what you have been required to submit to NVC. If you are only required to submit DS-230 part I then the consulate schedules; if you are required to submit parts I & II then the NVC schedules the interview.

The mention by Sockmonkey of the US Consulate London site as listing the DS-2001 is interesting and no wonder confusing.

Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of the application and forward the form DS-2001, Applicant's Declaration of Qualification for Immigrant Visa Interview to the NVC. The documents must not be mailed to the NVC or the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy.source

There is no form DS-2001 that is forwarded to the NVC even for those from the UK according to the UK packet that is sent from NVC. The DS-2001 is only used for those who file their application in London. Yes the DS-2001 is required for those doing DCF just as it would be for those doing the K visa, but not for those that have filed their application at the NVC.

The system was changed for those applying to NVC, whereby what would once of been the DS-2001 is now 'Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants' and is totally different then the DS-2001 which is a declaration of readiness for the interview.

The NVC only collects two of the required visa application documents, the DS-230 Part 1 and the Affidavit of Support. There are other documents identified on DS-2001 that the visa applicant still submits directly to the consulate.

Only true for those in certain countries. The second group of countries is required to send EVERYTHING to the NVC....DS-230 parts I & II, copy of biometrics of passport, marriage/divorce certificates, birth certificate, police certificate etc etc. Everything that would of once been taken to the interview. This is the system they are working towards, to have all countries submit everything to NVC whereby NVC will take on the entire role of reviewing all documentation submitted for a immigrant visa application.

If anyone has evidence of having to sign a DS-2001 declaration of readiness that is either sent to NVC or the consulate after their case is complete at NVC for a CR-1, I would be interested to know so I can update my brain :P

Lorelle,

I don't think this is necessarily true. DS-2001, formerly OF-169, serves 3 purposes

- instructions for submitting immigrant visa application documentation to the consulate,

- a statement to be signed and returned to the consulate to give notice that the visa applicant has obtained everything necessary and is ready for an interview.

Some consulates use their own customized versions of DS-2001, and some separate the notice of readiness into a separate document that may be designated DS-2001 or may be given a different document number.

Yodrak

Just to clarify.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Lorelle,

It is interesting that the US consulate in London instruct the immigrant visa applicant to submit the signed DS-2001 statement to the NVC. But it does indicate that the form is still in use.

Yes, some countries now submit all documentation to the NVC while others submit only DS-230-I and I-864 (and perhaps DS-2001). The number of countries in the former group is much smaller than the number of countries in the latter group, and the UK is in the latter group with the majority.

The transition to the NVC is still very much a work in progress.

Yodrak

With NVC now taking on much of the application process the system has very much changed. There is no longer the requirement to check off the list and sign it as being ready for the interview which is what the purpose is of the DS-2001. An applicant for the CR-1 no longer has to notify the consulate that they are ready for an interview and have all that is necessary as this happens automatically on case complete at NVC whereby either the NVC or the consulate will schedule the interview depending on what you have been required to submit to NVC. If you are only required to submit DS-230 part I then the consulate schedules; if you are required to submit parts I & II then the NVC schedules the interview.

The mention by Sockmonkey of the US Consulate London site as listing the DS-2001 is interesting and no wonder confusing.

Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of the application and forward the form DS-2001, Applicant's Declaration of Qualification for Immigrant Visa Interview to the NVC. The documents must not be mailed to the NVC or the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy.source

There is no form DS-2001 that is forwarded to the NVC even for those from the UK according to the UK packet that is sent from NVC. The DS-2001 is only used for those who file their application in London. Yes the DS-2001 is required for those doing DCF just as it would be for those doing the K visa, but not for those that have filed their application at the NVC.

The system was changed for those applying to NVC, whereby what would once of been the DS-2001 is now 'Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants' and is totally different then the DS-2001 which is a declaration of readiness for the interview.

Only true for those in certain countries. The second group of countries is required to send EVERYTHING to the NVC....DS-230 parts I & II, copy of biometrics of passport, marriage/divorce certificates, birth certificate, police certificate etc etc. Everything that would of once been taken to the interview. This is the system they are working towards, to have all countries submit everything to NVC whereby NVC will take on the entire role of viewing.

If anyone has evidence of having to sign a DS-2001 declaration of readiness that is either sent to NVC or the consulate after their case is complete at NVC for a CR-1, I would be interested to know so I can update my brain :P

Lorelle,

Yodrak

Just to clarify.

Yodrak

Yes it is interesting especially as there is no mention of the DS-2001 declaration of readiness in the UK packet that is sent from NVC.

http://www.visajourney.com/downloads/NVC_DS_230_Package.pdf

6. The old OF-169 (the "Packet 3 checklist," renumbered DS-2001 last year) has been redesigned. The information concerning documents required for IV application has been separated out into an information sheet entitled "Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants." This document, covered by the form letter generated by the automated IV system, will become the basic component of the new "Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants." The DS-2001 has been redesigned as a one-page optional form to be used by applicants or their agents to notify post or NVC that they are ready for interview. The revised DS-2001 is now with OMB for approval and will be distributed and posted on the Intranet as soon as available. In the meantime, posts may feel free to use either the current DS-2001 or the revised "Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants" (posted on the CA Intranet) but should not use both forms as this would cause confusion. The new DS-2001 cannot be used until approved by OMB.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_1540.html

It is the 'Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants' which is used by NVC in place of the DS-2001 for immigrant visa applicants. The DS-2001 is not even mentioned any longer on the DOS site concerning CR-1's that now apply through NVC, regardless of country.

I would still very much like to hear from anyone that has in fact had to complete a DS-2001 when applying for a CR-1 through NVC or in their packet that they receive from the consulate. To my knowledge the only packet one receives from the consulate after case complete at NVC, contains an interview date, a list of documents required for the interview (only require those not already submitted to NVC), DS-230, medical and police certificate instructions. I would like to get this clear in my head.

Lorelle,

It is interesting that the US consulate in London instruct the immigrant visa applicant to submit the signed DS-2001 statement to the NVC. But it does indicate that the form is still in use.

Yes, some countries now submit all documentation to the NVC while others submit only DS-230-I and I-864 (and perhaps DS-2001). The number of countries in the former group is much smaller than the number of countries in the latter group, and the UK is in the latter group with the majority.

The transition to the NVC is still very much a work in progress.

Yodrak

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Lorelle,

I agree, I'd also like to find out which way it is, for sure.

Yodrak

Yodrak

I would still very much like to hear from anyone that has in fact had to complete a DS-2001 when applying for a CR-1 through NVC or in their packet that they receive from the consulate. To my knowledge the only packet one receives from the consulate after case complete at NVC, contains an interview date, a list of documents required for the interview (only require those not already submitted to NVC), DS-230, medical and police certificate instructions. I would like to get this clear in my head.

Edited by Yodrak

FYI - The DS-2001 form on the embassy site is dated November 2002 and there is (obviously then) no OMB#.

It amazes me that some of these forms are so out of date! So if there are ever conflicts in what we read between the DOS site and the London Embassy, is it generally safe to assume that the DOS version is the most current? :unsure: I'm really glad this came up.

Alice

Edited by Slithytoves

Final Timeline

08-21-2006 ... I-130 sent to Texas

05-15-2007 ... My husband arrives in USA with CR-1

Alice,

DS-2001 is an instructional form that has not changed significantly, if at all, since it was OF-169 back in the 1990s. The consulate that I am most familiar with is still putting a slightly blurry X-generation photocopy of OF-169, dated 1997 if I remember correctly, in the visa application package (Packet 3). They have 'cleaner' version re-created as a PDF on their website that does not have the form designation or a date, which is identical in content.

For something of this nature - an instructional document - when differences are found I would go with the consulate version rather than a generic DoS version. Some procedures can vary from consulate to consulate to accomodate local needs and conditions.

Yodrak

FYI - The DS-2001 form on the embassy site is dated November 2002 and there is (obviously then) no OMB#.

It amazes me that some of these forms are so out of date! So if there are ever conflicts in what we read between the DOS site and the London Embassy, is it generally safe to assume that the DOS version is the most current? I'm really glad this came up.

Alice

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.