Jazzhawk

Residency requirements for Thailand

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all,

I'm looking at the various options on getting my girlfriend into the US. I plan to arrive in Thailand in late November with a type O retirement visa. After I arrive, I plan on getting married (gulp) and starting the visa application process.

It looks like direct consular filing might shave some time off filing the I-130 at the Nebraska service center. Does anyone know what the USCIS office's residency requirements are for the US citizen/petitioner? Is it possible with a retirement visa? Any requirements on the length of stay in Thailand?

I'm going to keep my house in the states, but there are limits as to how long I can do this.

Thanks for your help and advice.

JH

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello all,

I'm looking at the various options on getting my girlfriend into the US. I plan to arrive in Thailand in late November with a type O retirement visa. After I arrive, I plan on getting married (gulp) and starting the visa application process.

It looks like direct consular filing might shave some time off filing the I-130 at the Nebraska service center. Does anyone know what the USCIS office's residency requirements are for the US citizen/petitioner? Is it possible with a retirement visa? Any requirements on the length of stay in Thailand?

I'm going to keep my house in the states, but there are limits as to how long I can do this.

JH

Since you are interested in DCF, have you read the Guide? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

The info there shows how to get the official line of information for the country you're interested in; it's not clear if you've found that yet or not.

Thailand is a 'non-DCF' DCF country. IOW, the I-130 is actually filed with USCIS at their Field Office and CIS adjudicates, not the consulate. Their webpage is quite silent on what specifically constitutes 'resident'.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices...outus.htm#LOCAL

Immediate Relative Immigrant Petitions (Form I-130):

U.S. citizens residing in Thailand may file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) at the Bangkok office by mail or in person during normal business hours.

User Yodrak recommends a US immigration attorney in Bangkok, I think the name is White? You could check with Yodrak about that---it would not hurt to have a consult considering everything.

I'd take great pains to keep you US domicile by keeping your home. I did that while I was overseas, and it made our case that much easier. I understand that Thailand is a bit tough on the domicile issue.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Thanks for the response Meauxna. I was aware that I would have to file the I-130 with at the USCIS field office which apparently is across the street from the US embassy. I tried to contact that office by email, but my email came back saying the USCIS email address (Bangkok) was invalid. I guess I could call them, but I don't have much hope that I'd get an answer that way.

I'm still hoping someone on the forum has had first-hand experience with the process in Thailand.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks for the response Meauxna. I was aware that I would have to file the I-130 with at the USCIS field office which apparently is across the street from the US embassy. I tried to contact that office by email, but my email came back saying the USCIS email address (Bangkok) was invalid. I guess I could call them, but I don't have much hope that I'd get an answer that way.

I'm still hoping someone on the forum has had first-hand experience with the process in Thailand.

hmm. I haven't seen a Thai DCF posted here, but I know they happen. Again, yodrak might have more specific info, or the lawyer he recommends.

If you're going anyway, my recommendation is to take everything you would need for an I-130/IV case. You're going to do *something* once there, right?

You will need most of that paperwork for a stateside I-130 or a K application as well, so if you get there and learn something new, you go for it. If you are going to marry regardless, send an I-130 to USCIS BKK. The worst thing that could happen is they return it to you with an explanation and without taking your fee.

I don't know what your plans/timelines or desired outcomes are, but if you are going to want to move to the states, you'll have to file a petition of one kind or another, so you'll need your paperwork & evidence. I don't know what possessed me to take some of that stuff to Greece with me (totally preimmigration), but it turned out to be helpful to have my original property tax statement and things of that nature (looking ahead to the I-864).

:)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
Hello all,

JH

I have personal knowledge of 2 cases done in Bangkok. Filing at USCIS in Bangkok saves a bunch of time. In both cases the visa was issued in 3-4 months from start of process. Both applying USC’s had work permits and had lived in Thailand for several years.

Your problem will be the residency requirement. You might be able to convince them once you get the 1 year extension of your retirement visa and showing house/apt lease agreement, bank account etc.

You get the extension by applying within the last 30 days of your 90 day entry stamp and having 800K baht in Thai bank.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.