Cassandra PC

Translation

12 posts in this topic

I'm going to send in some documents in Spanish for my I-129F. USCIS says they have to be translated and then "certified" by the translator. Being fluent in Spanish, can I just translate them myself? They're pretty basic (a visa, an id card, etc.) and they're going to California after all - but I don't want any problems. Any experiences out there?

Started our visa journey applying for K-1: Oct 11, 2006

Interview at CDJ, K-1 visa granted: Feb 13, 2007

Married: Apr 13 2007

AOS approved: Aug 29, 2007

I-751 Lifting Conditions approved: Aug 8, 2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
I'm going to send in some documents in Spanish for my I-129F. USCIS says they have to be translated and then "certified" by the translator. Being fluent in Spanish, can I just translate them myself? They're pretty basic (a visa, an id card, etc.) and they're going to California after all - but I don't want any problems. Any experiences out there?

I take "certified" to mean a notary public that can translate the documents and then notarize the translation and assure its accuracy. Even if you could possibly translate it better yourself, I think the gov't wants the translation to be notarized by someone who can assure that it's accurate.

In my petition, I had a notary public fluent in Albanian translate my fiance's letter of intent (back before I found VJ and realized it didn't need to be an actual letter with several paragraphs) but I translated this receipt that was in Italian and among our evidence of having met by myself because it was very brief and straightforward and not an official document. I didn't get an RFE or anything for it.

For ID cards, Visa, etc. I would personally seek out a notary public fluent in Spanish and get her to translate it since they're official docs. Plus, I'm sure you can find like 6,000 notaries that speak Spanish so it won't be too much of a hassle to do.

Good luck with your petition! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

What exactly do you need to translate? I don't remember needing translatations for anything that I provided.

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I was wondering about this myself. My fiancee' has a flight itinerary that is completely in Dutch, and he could translate it himself but I wasn't sure if that would be acceptable. I checked the government websites and they just say you have to have someone sign that they are conversant (fluent) in english and that the translation is correct as to their knowledge, but it doesn't say anything about having to have it notorized. Does anyone else know any specifics on this?

Unlike a translation from Spanish, I'm fairly sure there are -not- many notaries that speak/understand Dutch.

Edited by Arazia

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
What exactly do you need to translate? I don't remember needing translatations for anything that I provided.

I had a document that I translated from Arabic (one from the moroccan govt. stating that fiance was single and free to marry). I went to a translation company who translated it and was certified by their notary public (who was not the same person as the translator). any translation company should have a notary public, as translators often have to work with people doing immigration things.

It wasn't cheap though! It cost me $85, and most places I called charged over 100. I DID get it the next day though! :content:

timeline doesn't matter.

Because we live together, I don't have any "correspondence" proof of our relationship so I'm planning to send in my visa and work ID card to show I live in Mexico. I was also thinking about sending in our rent contract. I've heard we can write a joint letter of intent (in english).

Notary public, yikes!

Started our visa journey applying for K-1: Oct 11, 2006

Interview at CDJ, K-1 visa granted: Feb 13, 2007

Married: Apr 13 2007

AOS approved: Aug 29, 2007

I-751 Lifting Conditions approved: Aug 8, 2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Because we live together, I don't have any "correspondence" proof of our relationship so I'm planning to send in my visa and work ID card to show I live in Mexico. I was also thinking about sending in our rent contract. I've heard we can write a joint letter of intent (in english).

Notary public, yikes!

We wrote a joint letter of intent, as well as individual ones. Rent contract seems good. Also, send pictures (remember to write names of people in it as well as dates, on the back).

timeline doesn't matter.

Translations can be done by anyone that is conversant in both the english and foreign language and certify such. Translations do not need to be translated by a certified translated.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=translations

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Translations do not need to be translated by a certified translated.

This was my understanding and I suggested my fiancee do it herself. She suggested that getting an independent translator might add benefit by showing the CIS that it was (1) done by an unbias party and (2) give it the "certified" stamp of approval.

I was very glad she suggested that because ours went through fast with no questions... which was obviously what we wanted.

Edited by Danny&Adri

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

~=~................. .................................................~=~

~=~.... pushpin.gif All is going very well !.......................... ~=~

~=~...................................................................~=~

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

3dflags_col0001-0003a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_usasc01-0003a.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sheesh, I wish I had known this.... I had my German police certificate translated by a "certified" translator from the Embassy. It only cost me $25... but in the end, $25 is $25 I could still have in my pocket. :angry:

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
11.3 Foreign Language Documents and Translations.

(a) Document Translations. All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See 8 CFR 103.2(B)(3).

- bolded by me.

Source:

http://www.uscis.gov/lpbin/lpext.dll/inser...ument-frame.htm

Edited by Mew

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Sheesh, I wish I had known this.... I had my German police certificate translated by a "certified" translator from the Embassy. It only cost me $25... but in the end, $25 is $25 I could still have in my pocket. :angry:

What is required by DOS for interviews is totally different then what is required and accepted by USCIS for the filing of a petition.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.