yabasta

the pressure of finding employment

14 posts in this topic

So i have been in GA for 4 days, almost 5 and i have applied for a social security number and i have also applied for a number of management jobs and warehosue jobs. I have also had a brief driving lesson and met some more family members.

It is early days i know but the pressure is firmly on and i am worried about finding a job. I kind of suck at finding work and i decided as it is a new country i would aim high and try and get back to what i did before the visa process started, when the process started i went into agency work as it allowed me to visit my wife for long spells. So i have applied online at monster.com but ti always seems like online job hunting is a fruitless process.

Has anybody ever found a decent job online? I am under pressure from myself and from my bank balance to get a job asap. I am kind of down about it already. I don`t really want to apply for something low paid as it would make moving up harder. Then again i just need a job and want one now so i can pay bills and stop worrying some. Either way it is tough going. I just wanted to get this off my chest really. Job hunting is not my forte and so it is a time when i am depressed which probably makes me hard to live with.

thanks for listening.

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

I would continue with on-line, also try careerbuilder.com, but in addition I would register with some of the bigger agencies near to where you live. Most of the online jobs, certainly here anyway, are handled by agecies and recruiters, and in my job search I did get lots of calls in response to online applications but 90% were from agencies who were handling those jobs. I ended up getting a $60000 job from an online application with either Monster or Careerbuilder through a phone call from the agency handling the opening.

You could also send your resume to targeted companies that you are qualified to work for and would like to work for.

Happy hunting!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

I would continue with on-line, also try careerbuilder.com, but in addition I would register with some of the bigger agencies near to where you live. Most of the online jobs, certainly here anyway, are handled by agecies and recruiters, and in my job search I did get lots of calls in response to online applications but 90% were from agencies who were handling those jobs. I ended up getting a $60000 job from an online application with either Monster or Careerbuilder through a phone call from the agency handling the opening.

You could also send your resume to targeted companies that you are qualified to work for and would like to work for.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the advice.

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi...

Glad to see you are finally home.

1st of all...4 days is not a long time, and you also have a weekend in there as well... Cut yourself some slack-you've not been here that long.

Next...Register with some agencies, (head hunters, not temp agencies) send out your CV to as many places as possible. Even if it is a job you aren't so interested in, you will at least have some practice for interviews.

The best unsolicited advice I can give you: Give your self some time for adjustment. Take a deep breath and know in your heart it will all work out.

Good Luck to You !

: )

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

thanks

I know 4 days is not long but we really need the money and the longer i go without even hearing the more i worry. thanks for the advice. Now i just need to find some head hunters. Anybody know any in GA?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

You will find them listed in the Sunday paper classifieds under "Agencies".

No worries-you will be OK. :thumbs:

: )

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Glad you made it safely. Hang in there something will come along before you know it. Just keep putting in applications, and taking interviews as they come. As Mrs B put it you will have some practice with interviews until you find the one you really want. Maybe start asking family members and friends to point you in the right direction, never hurts to have connections. Any and everyone you meet, mention your looking for employment since your arrival, don't be shy! With that British accent people are going to be interested in you from the first moment you open your mouth, use it to your advantage.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Wish my accent helped me! Seems to work against me here if anything. To the OP, I feel your pain! I am depressed about the work situation too and have just about given up hope of getting any employment that is even slightly close to what I was able to get in the UK. Guess that is the price we paid, but I think I was a bit naive and should now just knuckle down and get on with what I can get.

Wish my accent helped me! Seems to work against me here if anything. To the OP, I feel your pain! I am depressed about the work situation too and have just about given up hope of getting any employment that is even slightly close to what I was able to get in the UK. Guess that is the price we paid, but I think I was a bit naive and should now just knuckle down and get on with what I can get.

Yeah i am starting to think that too.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Today I signed up with Monster.com, Sperion.com and Manpower. Does anyone have any hints for online job searching? I have only been at it for a couple of days and already feel very pressured and worried that I am not going to be able to find work.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I applied to the job posted online (Monster.com) - got through interview by phone. But I did not get that job as I did not move to US soon enough for them - it was back in April and I did not move until July. Never hurts to try.

I do not really have hints/tips, but I followed the advise of 1 page resume, unless you have significant experience or special skills to show (my boss resume is 2 pages but he got like 20+ years of experience :D ) But again, it is up to you.

Good luck!

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Other Timeline

one page resume is great, I've found most hiring managers don't want to read over much. Anything not covered in the resume can be mentioned in a cover letter, and cover letters can be written for specific jobs to play up your abilities and good fit for it.

In a cover letter, mention that you are legally in the US on what type of visa and that at no time will you require company sponsorship.

I had my resume posted at CareerBuilder.com CareerSeeker.com Thingamajob.com plus the State Employment office. I also regularly checked company specific websites for jobs posted, because not all of them advertise. find a local company that you think you'd like to work for, and see if they have an on-line application, even if they don't have any jobs posted.

I had the city website, county website, as well as other cities and counties within drivng distance, and others bookmarked since I got here 2 years ago while I waited for my EAD.

I finally found a job that sounds as if it may be tolerable, I've not had such good luck since arriving. We're just waiting on HR to complete my background check and she said she wants me to start asap. Its at the local newspaper, and I found the job listed on their website.

If at all possible, if you apply for a job on-line, follow up with a phone call and/or a letter with another copy of your resume when possible.

I have no idea what the employment situation is in other states or cities, but here where I am is one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. I've had to take subsistence jobs to make ends meet (barely) until something else comes open. Don't be afraid to practice "do ya want fries wit dat?" and consider jobs that you wouldn't need to consider back home.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I too was really worried about finding a Job! I received my EAD and then my Green Card a couple of weeks later. In the time i was waiting for my Green Card i decided to go to school and get some computer skills and then when i finally received my GC i had computer skills and i worked dilligently every day to find work. I signed up with Employment agencies, also i signed up for temping agencies. I applied tosupermarkets. I have been very fortunate to land a great Job with only my Second interview i started yesterday and although at the moment i feel like i am in over my head i am sure i will pick things up andbecome settled. This is better than any Job i had in the UK and has really excellent prospects. I hope this may inspire you guys a little because i felt exactly the same as you do.

Good luck and i definatly recommend posting resume on Career Builder or Monster but aim high but be realistic at the same time.

Liam

12/30/2005 Arrived in the USA (Finally made it

02/17/2006 received my social security number

03/10/2006 We Got Married!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04/19/2006 Sent in AOS & EAD papers

04/27/2006 Touched for AOS & EAD

05/11/2006 Biometrics for AOS & EAD[/color]

06/07/2006 Received AOS appointment letter (july 14th 06)

07/07/2006 Recieved EAD

07/14/06 AOS APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!! All in less than 3 months (that's unbeleivable)

4/21/08 Filed I-751

4/26/08 Check cashed

4/28/08 NOA received

5/16/08 Attended Biometrics

9/12/08 Green Card arrived in mail :-)

To see wedding pics click on link below:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/thumbna...y&uid=14079

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.