phirephly

Time to look at K3s again?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Howdy. I was just scaring my wife to death with the statistics here on VJ for IR-1 processing times for our situation and I'm not terribly fond of them myself. According to the most recent data here:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/irstats.php?history=90

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/stats.php?history=90

It would take 200 days (average) to get our I-130 approved (through CSC) and about another 500 days (average) to get through the NVC phase (Manila, Philippines). I can believe it will take that long at CSC, they're still processing August I-130s for spouses according to the data posted on the link I can't find right now that I think was last updated 8 Feb 2006.

Now, I note the following figures using the stats pages:

CSC times in days:

......IR1...|...K3

1yr...146...|...73

6mo...188...|...83

3mo...200...|...94

consul -> interview:

......IR1...|...K3

1yr...316...|...129

6mo...409...|...145

3mo...490...|...160

In general, the K3 time is about half of the IR1 approval at CSC.

In general, the K3 time is about a bit more than a third of the IR1 for time to interview.

Using the latest data (last three months), I could shave our time to case complete from 690 days to 254 days.

Using the average data over the last year, I could shave our time to case complete from 462 days to just 202 days.

Going from anywhere from almost three years to just under 10 months sounds VERY good to me. I know this will be more paperwork and more money, but my wife is definitely worth it - who here wants to wait another day to start their life together?

Is there anything I'm missing here? I've heard numerous times and places that K3s were no better than IR1s with regard to response times. Is there a difference between a K3 case complete and an IR1 case complete? At the end of the IR1, you wait a week to get your visa, hop a plane, and live happily ever after, right? If there anything different when your K3 case is complete? You don't get a visa and don't get to fly on over?

Are we a very big exception to the guidance of shunning a K3 and focusing straight on an IR1? Please let me know if there's some kind of HUGE hole in my observations here. Is there anything that would even hurt us if I just sent in the K3 anyways? Thanks VJ experts :)

Let me show you how to get your tax returns the easy way

aussiewench's thread for kicking butt in the NVC ('cause i'm too lazy to keep looking it up - haha)

Our DS-3032 email to the NVC

02 Jan 2006 - Married

...----===::: CR-1 :::===---...

22 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

14 Jul 2006 - DS-230 Package Received by USC

We stopped pursuit of CR-1 to pursue K3/AOS. For us, both required the same document, we could only have one valid copy, and the K3 was moving faster.

See profile for the details up to and in between the events listed here.

...---===::: K3 :::===---...

17 May 2006 - Date NVC says petition shipped to embassy

18 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

01 Jul 2006 - Packet "3" received from embassy

18 Jul 2006 - Medical

21 Sept 2006 - K3 Interview Date (APPROVED)

27 Sept 2006 - Received Visa

06 Oct 2006 - Arrives in the USA! Finally home together. :)

(Truncated timeline - sig too long. See profile for all details.)

Is there anything that would even hurt us if I just sent in the K3 anyways? Thanks VJ experts :)

Nope....its backing both horses :yes: If our I-130 petition hadnt flown through VSC we would also be doing K-3. Many here do both and then see which one gets through first. In general it has been the K-3 but there has been times when both arrive at embassy together or the I-130 has beaten it. There is never any real assurance on either. If the money to file the I-129F is of no concern then sure go for it. Its only money afterall ;)

Lorelle

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.