worried

bonafide relationship

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

hi Vjers, we are beginning to gather all possible proofs of relationship. my question is how could we get our call log from skype, cos that is pretty much how we have communicated over the last 10 months...

any idea as to other forms of proof that could be collected..thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Pictures... letters... e-mails.

I'm not sure if skype has a log unless you've told it to save your chats/calls. I know you have to change a setting on MSN to save all conversations to your computer.

There's a small app I use to extract call logs for Skype - came in handy when compiling my own personal records.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=87531

Hope it's helpful. I used it about a year ago, and it was a bit on the fiddly side - hopefully might be a bit easier to use now.

Bobby

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Here's something I wrote up on a blog over at <a href="http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/" target="_blank">http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/</a>

So - you've married your Chinese lass, and you're filing an I-130.

IMO, you need to front-load your initial petition filing with as much

relationship evidence as you can - as the USCIS people will see this evidence, the evidence gets bundled up at NVC and sent to GUZ, and the GUZ personnel SEE this relationship evidence prior to interview day.

Personally, I can't imagine WHY one would not 'front-load' the relationship evidence. If you're using a lawyer and ask about this - and they have NO CLUE - then it's a red flag about that lawyer's 'current knowledge' on the I-130.

I had used the instructions from the I-130 - which contain this:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner or beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So that was my basis of info.

For me, I redid the lease on The Rustic Cracker Farm™ for both of our names, got all the utilities in both of our names. When I tried to get a joint bank account in the USA - I found it d@mned near impossible because of the Patriot Act. Others have been able to do it, though; seems to depend on your personal relationship with your banker OR that bank's ability and willingness to handle a signature card from yer lass.

I got her on my utility bills - both our names are shown on the invoices.

I got her a paypal debit card in her name, tied into my paypal business account.

I had her added in as a beneficiary on any 'Payable On Death' Instructions for various accounts.

I have a photo stack, about 80 photos, in a glassine portfolio (20 sheets, so is 40 viewable sheets, 20 of wedding photos, 60 of us and her family). It's about 1/2 inch thick.

I have all the phone logs going back to day 0, in the form of telephone bills - That stack is about 3 inches thick now.

I printed out a chat log history and the chat logs - I pared it back to 2 inches o chat logs, the history file was about 22 pages. (single line per day)

I had 10 affadavits prepared, 5 by her friends in Wuhan, 5 by my friends in Houston.

I made color scans and color printouts of my passport, then took it in to my bank who notarized each set for free.

Of course, I've kept all the receipts of all money transfers, copies of these were included as well.

Anyway, that's my stuff, feel free to use it as any example.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Personally, I can't imagine WHY one would not 'front-load' the relationship evidence. If you're using a lawyer and ask about this - and they have NO CLUE - then it's a red flag about that lawyer's 'current knowledge' on the I-130.

The debate goes on of course, and the decision depends on the individuals history and complication of relationships past. My lawyer told me no no no do not front load less is better for our particular application, she followed the instructions exactly what we submitted for I130. We showed all the forms, cover letters, proof of marriage ( not notarized) my citizenship etc. Neither my wife or I had previous marriages or complications and our case frontloading was useless. Our interview we were heavily prepared pictures, letters, thousands of chat, email, written stuff, text messages etc but frontloading is either way appropriate, get lots of advice and make your own choice.

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2014 - N-400 mailed priority Phoenix lockbox
08-1x-2014 - N-400 package accepted

08-20-2014 - Check cashed

09-xx-2014 - NOA bio-metrics appointment

09-18-2014 - Bio-metrics appointment Columbus office

09-22-2014 - NOA letter scheduled interview 10-30-2014

10-30-2014 - Naturalization interview and test Columbus Ohio office.

Application changed to five year as mark reached while waiting for interview

Passed civic test and interview recommends approval !!!

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath
11-13-2014 - Case Status updated "We scheduled your oath ceremony"

11-14-2014 - NOA letter final interview and oath Tuesday 11-25-2014

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

- Applied US Passport at local post office

08-2016 - Received 10 year Q2 visa to visit China as a US citizen

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Skype does keep a detailed record of all your calls, date, time, calling / called number, minutes , and cost. If you go to your Skype Account section, it will be in the same area as your Profile, Skype to Go #'s, etc... It exports to Excel, so if your like me your screwed unless your better half knows the program. :bonk: Luckily my better half is a Senior Admin. You can also archive your chats. I am unsure of the length of time, but I have pulled Skype call records as far back as 6 mo., but suggest doing it every 2 mo's in case something happens & they disappear into the "Cloud"

Kevin & Mandy

• 3 months later...

QUOTE (Darnell @ Sep 18 2009, 02:48 PM) Personally, I can't imagine WHY one would not 'front-load' the relationship evidence. If you're using a lawyer and ask about this - and they have NO CLUE - then it's a red flag about that lawyer's 'current knowledge' on the I-130.

The debate goes on of course, and the decision depends on the individuals history and complication of relationships past. My lawyer told me no no no do not front load less is better for our particular application, she followed the instructions exactly what we submitted for I130. We showed all the forms, cover letters, proof of marriage ( not notarized) my citizenship etc. Neither my wife or I had previous marriages or complications and our case frontloading was useless. Our interview we were heavily prepared pictures, letters, thousands of chat, email, written stuff, text messages etc but frontloading is either way appropriate, get lots of advice and make your own choice.

This is what I did also. I have less documents when i submitted my I-130 and got approved. Now, preparing all our e-mails, pictures, skypes, magic jack phone logs, and facebook chats logs...

05/08/2010: Married
03/18/2011: I-130 Sent
03/21/2011: NOA1 noticed date
05/27/2011: NOA2 noticed date
06/28/2011: NVC finally received our case!
06/30/2011: Case number received!
07/01/2011: Received DS-3032 from NVC
07/04/2011: Wifey e-mailed DS-3032 form to NVC
07/06/2011: Paid AOS bill
07/09/2011: DS-3032 received/processed by NVC
07/11/2011: IV bill received :
07/22/2011: IV bill paid
07/25/2011: AOS/I-864 packet mailed
07/27/2011: AOS/I-864 packet delivered to NVC
08/02/2011: DS-230 packet mailed to NVC
08/03/2011: DS-230 packet delivered to NVC
08/08/2011: Medical Exam Taken
08/09/2011: Medical Results: PASSED! Yehey!

08/10/2011: Case Completed / Sign In Failed

08/12/2011: Interview date assigned : September 19, 8:30am @ USEM... Yay!
09/19/2011: WIFE'S VISA APPROVED!!!
Thank YOU Lord!
09/23/2011: Wife picked up her VISA..
10/24/2011: POE: J.F.K.-NY

ROC

08/26/2013: i-751 mailed

08/28/2013: i-751 received per USPS tracking...

08/29/2013: NOA receipt date

10/04/2013: Biometrics appointment

im kinda worried bout that too the proof of relationship..we have lots of pic but it doesnt have date..but we have lots of photo on our wedding too.but my husband get a coy of his passport.but for me im kinda worried bout it now,is it ok even it doesnt have date in the pic?but i still have those ticket both in our name when we do travel and also i just move to new place and put my husband name too.we cant get bank joint account cuz bank in us need social security number which is ofcourse i dont have.but we bought a land here in phil both in our name,and i cant get proof of remittance whnever my husband send money to me through bank of the philippine,but my husband still have those receipt whenver he send money is that enough?lol just worried too..

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Required Proof of Relationship is something that varies by what stage of the process and which embassy.

For the I-130 Petition all you really need to prove is that there was a wedding and one of the spouses is a US Citizen. Good evidence for this is: Marriage Certificate, birth certificates of both parties, US Citizen's Passport bio page, either copies of boarding passes or entry/exit stamps from Passport showing travel to location of the wedding (for the spouse who lives in another country). If you have anything else like joint bank accounts go ahead and include it but at this stage they just want to see that a marriage happened.

For the interview it really varies by the Embassy and I would suggest you check the regional forums for this information.

At ROC you will need to provide proof of Bonefide Marriage which includes co-habitation and co-mingling of financial lives. Good evidence here includes:

1. Joint Lease or Mortgage.

2. Bills either in Joint Names or some in each name.

3. Mail sent to same address for each and or both.

4. Joint bank accounts

5. Joint Credit Cards or Auto Loans.

6. Renters, homeowners, auto, life, medical insurance in both names and/or listing each other a beneficiary.

7. 401(k) with spouse listed as beneficiary.

8. Drivers' License or State ID Cards for each showing the same address.

9. Affidavits from friends and family attesting to them knowing you as a couple.

Of course there are more things that can be provided but it seems couple who can provide most of the above list don't experience difficulties at ROC unless there is something else obviously wrong with their case file.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Required Proof of Relationship is something that varies by what stage of the process and which embassy.

For the I-130 Petition all you really need to prove is that there was a wedding and one of the spouses is a US Citizen. Good evidence for this is: Marriage Certificate, birth certificates of both parties, US Citizen's Passport bio page, either copies of boarding passes or entry/exit stamps from Passport showing travel to location of the wedding (for the spouse who lives in another country). If you have anything else like joint bank accounts go ahead and include it but at this stage they just want to see that a marriage happened.

For the interview it really varies by the Embassy and I would suggest you check the regional forums for this information.

At ROC you will need to provide proof of Bonefide Marriage which includes co-habitation and co-mingling of financial lives. Good evidence here includes:

1. Joint Lease or Mortgage.

2. Bills either in Joint Names or some in each name.

3. Mail sent to same address for each and or both.

4. Joint bank accounts

5. Joint Credit Cards or Auto Loans.

6. Renters, homeowners, auto, life, medical insurance in both names and/or listing each other a beneficiary.

7. 401(k) with spouse listed as beneficiary.

8. Drivers' License or State ID Cards for each showing the same address.

9. Affidavits from friends and family attesting to them knowing you as a couple.

Of course there are more things that can be provided but it seems couple who can provide most of the above list don't experience difficulties at ROC unless there is something else obviously wrong with their case file.

I'm putting my wife down as a primary beneficiary on my Life Insurance.

However, my life insurance form is asking for her Social Security # - which she obviously doesn't have yet.

Should they be okay without a SS# or is there an alternative number I can list?

By the way, how are people getting all of these joint accounts?

I haven't been able to get my wife on anything without her being a citizen.

Edited by bigtex26
  • June 2010 ~ Met
  • July 4, 201142.gif ~ Married
    USCIS
  • August 1, 2011 ~ I-130 Sent
  • August 4, 2011 ~ I-130 Package Received
  • August 8, 2011 ~ NOA1 Receipt
  • February 24, 2012 ~ NOA2 Receipt
    NVC
  • March 9, 2012 ~ Received Case #
  • March 13, 2012 ~ DS-261 Signed
  • March 14, 2012 ~ AOS Bill Paid
  • March 22, 2012 ~ IV Bill Paid
  • March 26, 2012 ~ NVC Case Complete
    CONSULATE
  • May 16, 2012 ~ Interview Date - Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
  • May 19, 2012 ~ Point of Entry into El Paso, TX, U.S.A.
  • June 4, 2012 ~ Green Card arrived in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

US Consulates know what can be done and what can't be done with the current status of the alien spouses.

While we can add our spouses as beneficiary in our 401K (that doesn't require any SSN or other requirements), we can add them to our Bank Accounts, Credit cards, Insurance Policies..... Adding them to an existing apartments lease is a possibility in some cases. Getting them on to the utility accounts is questionable.

So get them into the apartment leases & 401K beficiaries; get some affidavits from relatives/ frineds that attended the marraige; remittences (if any) to foriegn spouses; and records of continuing relationship like emails, chats, visits (Itinerary, airline boarding pass pieces), telephone details are good enough. If you able to get more it is better but don't waste in trying to those additional one unless your alien spouse is from high fraud countries.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
I'm putting my wife down as a primary beneficiary on my Life Insurance.

However, my life insurance form is asking for her Social Security # - which she obviously doesn't have yet.

Should they be okay without a SS# or is there an alternative number I can list?

By the way, how are people getting all of these joint accounts?

I haven't been able to get my wife on anything without her being a citizen.

If you explain that she's not in the US the insurance provider should be able to proceed without a SSN as by law they can't require it.

For the Joint accounts it varies by financial institution. You will need to get her signature on the IRS form W8-BEN (google it for the link to download as PDF).

State Farm Bank and BCU (Credit Union) are two institutions that I was able to get her added to even before she was in the US!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you explain that she's not in the US the insurance provider should be able to proceed without a SSN as by law they can't require it.

For the Joint accounts it varies by financial institution. You will need to get her signature on the IRS form W8-BEN (google it for the link to download as PDF).

State Farm Bank and BCU (Credit Union) are two institutions that I was able to get her added to even before she was in the US!

Called Both these banks - State Farm said they'd be able to add her without a Tax# and SS# but that she'd have to verify her passport documentation by being present in a StateFarm office. No way to do that if she's stuck in Mexico until her CR-1 Spousal Visa is approved.

Checked with BCU (Which I guess is affiliated with various Credit Unions here in my town) and they said she would absolutely have to show up in person, and that she would absolutely need a Social #.

Were you able to get your spouse added because she showed up in person?

I guess my only option (to get her on some form of financial mingle) would be to get her up here on a tourist visa - but that's damn near impossible as she has 0 source of income and lives in a tiny ranch in the middle of nowhere.

Will keep searching....

• June 2010 ~ Met
  • July 4, 201142.gif ~ Married
    USCIS
  • August 1, 2011 ~ I-130 Sent
  • August 4, 2011 ~ I-130 Package Received
  • August 8, 2011 ~ NOA1 Receipt
  • February 24, 2012 ~ NOA2 Receipt
    NVC
  • March 9, 2012 ~ Received Case #
  • March 13, 2012 ~ DS-261 Signed
  • March 14, 2012 ~ AOS Bill Paid
  • March 22, 2012 ~ IV Bill Paid
  • March 26, 2012 ~ NVC Case Complete
    CONSULATE
  • May 16, 2012 ~ Interview Date - Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
  • May 19, 2012 ~ Point of Entry into El Paso, TX, U.S.A.
  • June 4, 2012 ~ Green Card arrived in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.