akdiver

Going rate for a U.S. tourist visa in Moscow

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

For anyone who cares - as I understand it, the process for a Russian to get a U.S. tourist (non-immigrant) visa works something like this:

a). Gather up your documents

B). Visit the closest "Pony Express" office with your documents ready to send it

c). Get told the approximate date of interview at the embassy in Moscow - right away

This info is confirmed on the Moscow Embassy's website:

http://www.usembassy.ru/consular/consular...._id=nivservices

My wife's parents are planning to come visit us and they of course need a tourist visa. Yesterday, they went to said office in Kazan and were told that they could expect to have their interview 28th July or 2nd August.

So, it would seem that, at the moment at least, the going rate for U.S. tourist visa in Moscow is about three weeks (and much sooner than we expected).

In related news - in case you want a reference for this kind of visa, you can check here:

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/visiting2.html

Of course, my wife refused to believe what they said about not needing an invitation letter and other things and insisted on sending her parents all kinds of documents (birth certificates, marriage certificate, PR card, invitation letters, etc.) to support their application. Go figure.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
For anyone who cares - as I understand it, the process for a Russian to get a U.S. tourist (non-immigrant) visa works something like this:

a). Gather up your documents

B). Visit the closest "Pony Express" office with your documents ready to send it

c). Get told the approximate date of interview at the embassy in Moscow - right away

This info is confirmed on the Moscow Embassy's website:

http://www.usembassy.ru/consular/consular...._id=nivservices

My wife's parents are planning to come visit us and they of course need a tourist visa. Yesterday, they went to said office in Kazan and were told that they could expect to have their interview 28th July or 2nd August.

So, it would seem that, at the moment at least, the going rate for U.S. tourist visa in Moscow is about three weeks (and much sooner than we expected).

In related news - in case you want a reference for this kind of visa, you can check here:

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/visiting2.html

Of course, my wife refused to believe what they said about not needing an invitation letter and other things and insisted on sending her parents all kinds of documents (birth certificates, marriage certificate, PR card, invitation letters, etc.) to support their application. Go figure.

Cheers!

AKDiver

It sounds like they might get a guest visa for 2 years. I sent my Mom an invitation letter and a letter from my employer. All they asked her was if she had any assets and if i was the only daughter. She got a visa for 2 years with in and out priveleges.

Eva.

I-130 approved in 113 days

NVC Processing

07.11.06 Case number assigned

07.24.06 DS 3032/AOS Bill Generated

07.26.2006 DS 3032 via email

07.28.2006 AOS fee paid and overnighted

07.29.06 NVC confirmed getting choice of agent

07.31.2006 Recieved actual AOS/DS 3032 bill via regular mail

07.31.2006 IV Bill generated

08.05.2006 IV bill recieved

08.11.2006 IV Bill Paid sent by mail

08.26.2006 Finally got Affidavit papers by mail

08.28.2006 Sent Affidavit by mail

ticker.png

ticker.png

7.17.2006 Replied to IMBRA RFE 07.18.2006 Touched ( I guess they recieved RFE) 07.24.2006 Touched

7.26.2006 Touched again 7.28.06 Touched again (they keep sending it to the old address) This case is stuck!

ticker.png

For 2 years B2 visa you have to pay another 100$. Usually they give 1 year B2 Multy-visa.

K-1 Visa Process

27th of Aug 2004 - got acquainted

24th of Dec 2005 - spent Xmas holidays together

4th of Feb 2006 - sent I-129F petition to Texas Service Center

14th of Feb - lost our personal letters, resent even more

28th of Feb - California Service Center received our case (received date of NOA1)

6th of March - NOA1 (notice date)

1st of May - NOA2 (first one)

26th of June - NOA2 (second one, no RFE!)

27th of June - *touched*

11th of July - *touched again*

12th of July - reply from NVC (don't have our case yet) :((

14th-21th of August -FINALLY made CSC sent out our case to NVC!!!

28st of August - letter from NVC confirming our case will be sent to Moscow Embassy within a week.

8th of September - Moscow Embassy replied they still don't have it :'(

1st of October - Yellow package has been sent

4th of October - Date of the interview: 7th of December

Rescheduled date of interview on EARLIER date (due to kid's school exams): 17th of October 2006!

17th of Ocotber - Stressful interview has successfully GONE!

20th of October - got passport with visas at the office DHL on Tverskaya st.

22th of October - WE'RE TOGETHER AT LAST! WOOOOO-HOOOOO!

ticker.png

ticker.png

Satellite, it depends on the situation. But if you've managed to convince them they'll give you Multi one even without asking. I got it from the first try last November. ;)

K-1 Visa Process

28th of Feb - California Service Center received our case (received date of NOA1)

27th of June - *touched*

28st of August - letter from NVC confirming our case will be sent to Moscow Embassy within a week.

Rescheduled date of interview on EARLIER date (due to kid's school exams): 17th of October 2006!

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey everyone! We want to bring my wife's mother over to visit for a while, and maybe dad. How do I go about applying for this? I want to do this asap!!! My wife is currently under a k3 visa, we just applied for the AOS. Help! Help! Help!!!

10/26/04 Met online

11/9/04 first phone conversation

11/10/04 first "I love you" for both of us

02/10/05 Met at Domodedovo airport, Moscow

02/10/05 Boarded train to Yoshkar-Ola

02/11/05 3:30 AM Asked her to marry me (she said yes)

03/01/05 left for home

04/18/05 returned to plan wedding

05/07/05 Married in Yoshkar-Ola

05/17/05 returned to US again, Ugh

07/16/05 Sent I-130 to Nebraska

07/24/05 NOA1

07/25/05 Sent I-129 to Missouri

09/06/05 Recieved letter from nvc, file to Moscow

09/23/05 Embassy sent packet 3

09/26/05 NOA2, better late than never

10/05/05 I receive email, Interview date Dec 20, Woo Hoo

12/15/05 Medical

12/20/05 INTERVIEW!!!

12/24/05 My Tanya leaves for US

12/25/05 Home together at last, sooo great!!!

08/22/06 8 months already, I cant believe it, still great[/color]

Hey everyone! We want to bring my wife's mother over to visit for a while, and maybe dad. How do I go about applying for this? I want to do this asap!!! My wife is currently under a k3 visa, we just applied for the AOS. Help! Help! Help!!!

Curious as well.....

(Also, does anyone know if sisters are given same consideration as mothers?)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

For anyone who cares - my wife's parents had their tourist visa interview today. They were approved. No idea if they got the one year or two year visa. They were given back most of the docs they submitted. Were asked very basic questions about where they were going, 2 or 3 "silly questions", mostly about Alaska. Told they would get visa in 2-3 days.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Look at the first post in this thread. I gave links to the two main resources for this info. Do what they say, get visa.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Irina has an adult son who would have to file "DS-157", whatever that is. He's a construction worker and doesn't own any property, but he's honest as the day is long, and I would sign whatever I needed to if he could get a Tourist Visa to come over here for a couple of months during his 'slow' season. I told Irina "nothing doing", however, because I thought he would probably be turned down in Moscow, and I was afraid that a refusal might impact Irina's hope of someday sponsoring him as a permanent immigrant.

I know none of you have crytstal balls, so I won't ask for opinions, but ... has anyone tried to help an adult male stepson with a tourist visa get past the Moscow Consulate, and was it as simple as with AKDiver's in-laws?

If so, I would really like to hear from you.

And no, I am not just looking for someone who will remodel my house for free -- shame on you who suspect me of such things!

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

Timeline
Irina has an adult son who would have to file "DS-157", whatever that is.

It's referenced on one of the URLs I gave in the OP, and also here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_1432.html and here: http://www.amcits.com/form_ds_157.asp

Essentially, the US Govt, in its infinite wisdom, is of the opinion that only men of prime working age could be terrorists. It's a form to get additional info over and above the usual visa app. To be fair, the questions are all very benign and are all ones required on the form to get a visa for Russia, so in itself, is nothing to get uptight about.

As for this dude - well, send his ### up to my house. I'd be happy to have him work on it for free if you don't want him working on yours. (:

But seriously - unless he can show he is not an intending immigrant, he will not get a visa. Given his lack of ties to Russia, it will be very hard for him to show he is not intending to immigrate - esp. with his mother here. There is no statement, guarantee, bond, or otherwise that you can give that will impact the CO's decision to reject or deny a visa. View the previous posts/urls in this thread for references. Your best bet to get him here would be on a student visa - IMHO.

Good luck!

AKDiver

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
To be fair, the questions are all very benign and are all ones required on the form to get a visa for Russia, so in itself, is nothing to get uptight about.
Well not exactly.

Here is what the Russian Consulate site says concerning their form and former supplemental form.

"Why a special form for US citizens? Effective April 1, 2004, US citizens applying for Russians visas should submit to the Consulate a new application form. The new form is implemented on the basis of reciprocity with the US side and replaces the previous standard application form and the supplemental form."

http://www.consulrussia.org/visa_frame.fil...20US%20citizens?

By the way, they also charge $100 based on reciprocity.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I've been on this forum for few years now. Never really posted anything, just a reader. I just hate writing.

But I have a story about a tourist visa. Here is my experience.

3 years ago I've applied for a tourist visa for my son (12yo). I was a permanent resident at that time and my citizenship was pending (my husband is a US citizen). We could of file a petition for immigration visa for him, but we didn't plan for him to immigrate just yet, we were thinking it would be nice to come visit for a couple of month and see if he likes it here. Well, sometimes it just dosn't pay to play fair.

The US embassy in Moscow refused to give him a tourist visa... So we end up applying for R1/2(step son of the US citizen) anyway. He is here now and already a US citizen. The only thing I still don't understand is why wasn't he given a tourist visa. I was just being honest and explained the situation. If I wanted him to stay with me permanently at that point I could of done that. He was eligible for imm visa without any waiting.

On the other hand that same year my mother got tourist visa no problem.

What I'm trying to say here is a tourist visa is an unpredictable comodity.

Irina has an adult son who would have to file "DS-157", whatever that is. He's a construction worker and doesn't own any property, but he's honest as the day is long, and I would sign whatever I needed to if he could get a Tourist Visa to come over here for a couple of months during his 'slow' season. I told Irina "nothing doing", however, because I thought he would probably be turned down in Moscow, and I was afraid that a refusal might impact Irina's hope of someday sponsoring him as a permanent immigrant.

Look, I don't wanna freighten you or discourage but it's so weak chance for him to get it. Unless he'll show anything upgoing and tying him to Russia: any courses, repair contract of any apartment, letters from work confirming he's still working, your letter approving he won't stay there and will come back... a lot of things... think it all up! To prove any SAID word by documents! Good luck anyway!

And one more thing: to get visa for parents (or one of them), for sister/brother, anyone not so close relative is MUCH easier that to grown-up kids. :huh: Just experiece of other refusals. Cause the first MAIN question in application form for B2 visa is: Do you have any relatives in USA? Name them... Here you go!

I wish you to get prepaired and be able to see him soon anyway! GOOD LUCK! :star:

K-1 Visa Process

27th of June - *touched*

ticker.png

ticker.png

• 2 weeks later...

My fiance got a two year tourist visa last year. Her sister and her husband, in the US started the paperwork and invitation. My fiance filled out the paperwork and had an interview at the US Embassy in Moscow. I think she said she paid $300 for the tourist visa. She came to the US two times last year. I met her on her second visit. :-) Good luck.

John

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I told Irina "nothing doing", however, because I thought he would probably be turned down in Moscow, and I was afraid that a refusal might impact Irina's hope of someday sponsoring him as a permanent immigrant.

Mike,

If refused a tourist visa, it's because he would not be able to overcome the burden of 'immigrant intent'.

If applying for an immigrant visa, that would not be an issue.

Refusal of a visitor's visa does not impact an immigrant visa application. :) Can't speak for Irina's hopes.

PS: just got back from a great week of diving in Mexico.. didn't you say that you two dive?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.