Shari

Amsterdam Airport Customs/Immigration

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
:goofy: My step-daughter is leaving the US on Sunday to return to England after a trip here to visit. I just realized she only has a 1-1/2 hour layover in Amsterdam before flying on to Manchester. She flies out of Memphis, TN to Amsterdam so I believe she will have to go through Customs/Immigration when she arrives in Amsterdam. I am now worried 1-1/2 hours is not sufficient time for her flight from the US to arrive in Amsterdam, go through Customs/Immigration, and catch her flight out to Manchester. Anyone go through Customs/Immigration in Amsterdam that knows how long it might take? Thanks! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

:goofy: My step-daughter is leaving the US on Sunday to return to England after a trip here to visit. I just realized she only has a 1-1/2 hour layover in Amsterdam before flying on to Manchester. She flies out of Memphis, TN to Amsterdam so I believe she will have to go through Customs/Immigration when she arrives in Amsterdam. I am now worried 1-1/2 hours is not sufficient time for her flight from the US to arrive in Amsterdam, go through Customs/Immigration, and catch her flight out to Manchester. Anyone go through Customs/Immigration in Amsterdam that knows how long it might take? Thanks! :goofy:

As long as her plane is not delayed she should have enough time. Immigration is much faster in the Netherlands than in most places in the US. Most my husband has stood in line is 10 minutes, and it took 2 minutes to go through. They sometimes ask nothing, sometimes just what your purpose is of travelling. A little different than my wait at Houston airport for 2 hours and than have to answer stupid questions for another 20 minutes (eg "do you have parents?", no I fell out if the sky one day....)

What usually takes the longest is obtaining your lugguage, but maybe they are connected through in her case. It can take up to 30/40 minutes till they have your lugguage out, if it is around lunch time or whenever they decided to take a coffee break......

Don't worry, 1 hour is enough time change planes in Amsterdam, if you don't stroll along.

Letty

May 18, 2007 ... Married in the Netherlands

May 16, 2008 ... Entered USA

February 13, 2010 ... mailed I-751

February 16, 2010 ... 3.43 pm I-751 delivered

February 18, 2010 ... check cashed[/color]

February 24, 2010 ... received NOA dated 02/17/2010

March 4, 2010 ... received Bio letter

March 15, 2010 ... bio appointment

March 16, 2010 ... touch

May 12, 2010 ... card production ordered

June 1, 2010 ... card production ordered text message (again)

June 7, 2010 ... received green card

February 15, 2011 ... mailed N400

February 17, 2011 ... N400 delivered

February 18, 2011 ... check cashed

February 22, 2011 ... NOA dated

March 24, 2011 ... bio in Houston

May 20, 2011 ... interview San Antonio

June 30, 2011 ... oath ceremony Bryan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
:goofy: Thanks so much for the information Letty. That makes us all feel better. :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

The last two times I went through Amsterdam were fairly quick - it's a relatively compact airport so there is usually (baring any delays) time to get there - no time for dilly dallying of course.

She should know to ask for assistance if time is running out - pretty much everyone there speaks English so it's not a problem.

I wouldn't worry - they're pretty efficient. :thumbs:

When I flew Dallas to Manchester via Amsterdam the luggage is automatically transferred for you and I am fairly certain that my arrival gate opened onto the main departure lounge and all I had to do was walk to my departure gate and I did not have to go through immigration. Each gate has its own security checkpoint and x-ray machine so the queues at the gate can sometimes be quite long though the plane from amsterdam to manchester won't be that large so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know I had a 2 1/2 hour transfer and got to look round all the shops 2-3 times each and was bored out of my mind by the time we got to leave.

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Yes- I had a connection in Amsterdam as well. (in 07 and 08) They transfered my luggage and I did not have to go thru any customs there.

I do remember I had to go thru an extra check before boarding and couldn't take any water from the airport in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.